• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Another Plane Crashes in New York

dot23

Justified & Ancient
Just read a CNN.com story (very brief). A passanger airplane heading for new york JFK has just crashed into the Queens burrough. Several buildings are on fire, and Mayor Guillani has called a level one alert (whatever that means).

more as soon as I find it...

3pm BBC1 News.

The plane is an American Airlines 767. It crashed on take-off from JFK bound for the Dominican Republic. Similar time of day to WTC attacks - around 9am local time. Numbers on board not yet known.

update: 3.15pm.

Plane is actually an Airbus A-300; flight 587. Level-One alert is for every rescue service in the vicinity to get to the scene ASAP.

Airbus used to be suspect for failure of their fly-by-wire control systems, so it may be an accident rather than another terrorist act - in which case, its proximity to Manhattan would be an incredible and unfortunate coincidence.

Shit, I've got the news on now.

As yet they don't know what happened. I just hope it's not another act of terrorism :(

apparently it was an AA A-300... they've shut the airports, and the dow has gone down another 200 points...

it would seem that the area is very close to JFK airport

I think its an accident personaly.

all bridges and tunnels in NY are closed

If you go to Annanova - the story there says that terrorism has been ruled out as a cause - however in the same article it states that the cause of the crash is unknown at this stage....

The bizarre thing is that it will almost be a relief if it's an accident.

Terrible news either way. :(

Just heard on the news that eyewitness say they saw an engine fall of the plane before it crashed. Then engine has hit in one place the plane in another

Just heard that the FBI say that it was not a terroist attack.

From the reports the plane nose dived to the ground within seconds

Suggested 246 passengers and nine crew on board.

I remember seeing footage of an Airbus come within feet of crashing when the fly -by -wire controls went down.

They never stood a chance. No estimation on loss of live for those on the Ground.

Blag

Although the general consensus is that it was an accident, would the government want the public to know it was a terrorist bomb, it would surely deal a fatal blow to the airlines.

Agreed, P. Younger, and how can they so quickly rule out some kind of electrical sabotage on the plane? What strikes me as questionable is the geographic location and time of day of the so-called accident. I'm honestly wondering if I want to get on a plane ever again.

We're supposedly safer flying, so why do so many of us drive tens or even hudreds of thousands of miles a year without worries, yet are scared of getting onto a plane. I reckon it's a case of 'If I am falling 30,000 feet, I'l have a good few minutes to consider what's going to happen to me when flesh meets earth,' whereas a car crash is seen as almost instant death if that's the way it's going to be.

Nah, it's because most people are useless at guessing and weighing up risks. In the African Savannah where our ancestors evolved, there wasn't a great deal of need for probability theory.

Heard the dumbest news report ever on the Beeb. It said something like there were sounds of vibration in the cockpit on the voice recorder just before the crash but that was after the engine came off. Doh!

Assuming it is an accident it has to be the Coincidence of all time that it happens on Veterans Day, at the same hour as 911, in the same city and on the day Kabul is taken.

If there's going to be a cover-up, then this is the perfect time. If it is revealed to be a terrorist act (and despite all the speculation we won't know for weeks) all the extra security and effort to reassure the American public will be for naught, the economy suffers, the government finds itself even more unpopular .etc.etc.
Already investigators are stating there is "no evidence of sabotage". Governments the world over love this phrase "no evidence" which really doesn't mean shit. For years there was "no evidence" of a link between beef and vCJD. Then they found it.
I hope the investigators set out to carry out a complete, impartial investigation rather than set out to prove it was a mechanical failure regardless.

So it's just another case of: they'll find what they want to find, and we'll believe what we want to believe?

Cover up ???

It would certainly pay to keep the result of the investigations a secret if it turned out to be foul play.....I mean the USA is on the edge as it is, without another plane being the victim of terrorist interests.

Moggadon

I'm not suggesting there is a cover-up, btw, just that the benefits of one are there, and initial reports of the nature of the crash seem very odd.
Perhaps the more paranoid of us should keep an extra eye out...

Back