• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Another RV test

Ersby

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I’d like to conduct another remote viewing experiment. But first I want to see how many people are interested, and if anyone has any ideas for the protocol. As for personnel, I’ll need:

1 psychic,
2 non-psychics,
3 judges (with Winzip and Word).

If I can get more people, then that’d be great. I’m planning a simple RV test in which the viewer will attempt to view Japanese kanji. I chose this target type because with my feeble internet connection, it’ll be easier to email the target and decoys for judging since they’re quite small in size. Also I’ll be using the more complex kanji (grade 3 and above) with at least three different elements and because they’re pictorial and have a meaning attached (ie, emotional) they should fit the typical RV target.

The experiment will last for ten trials, I hope. The target will be chosen before each trial takes place using a psuedo RNG on the internet, so no precognition will take place. There will be 60 possible targets (the “target pool”) to choose from, split into 10 groups of six. These will be chosen without replacement.

When a target has been chosen, its details will be sent to two independent judges (not on the FTMB nor JREF) by me at the same time. This is merely to prevent any accusations of post-hoc choice of target.

The three viewers will each try a different method of viewing. The psychic will, I hope, use paranormal methods. One non-psychic will simply have to invent things. The other non-psychic will be given (by me, before the experiment begins) a detailed list of the elements that appear in the target pool and how often they appear. So s/he will have some knowledge of what is or isn’t a safe bet. This non-psychic will, during the experiment, be given the details of the kanji already chosen, and so will have some idea of what is left in the target pool (the other viewers will not be given this information). The viewers will all be asked to produce about a paragraph of notes: nothing too extensive, and these notes will be sent to me.

NB: The psychic will be encouraged to view the target as a picture rather than a semantic element. Guessing the meaning is not part of the experiment for any of the viewers. So I’d like the psychic to just try and tune into whatever the kanji suggests to them. This will hopefully be covered in the notes I give to the judges (see below).

Then the judges will be sent a zipped word document with the three statements from the viewers in a random order, as well as the target kanji and decoy kanji also in a random order. Along with each kanji I’ll supply notes about: the Chinese and Japanese pronounciation, the meaning(s), the elements included in the kanji, and any elements that look a bit like other kanji. Furthermore the judges will be encouraged to make a subjective decision of what they think the kanji resembles, and how that refers to the viewers’ statements. So the statements will be judged on five criteria, more or less.

I’m hoping to see whether prior knowledge has an effect on the final results. For example, if I supply a non-psychic with the statistics, and he follows the advice closely, but the random choice of targets ends up always on the more particular kanji, then he’ll score badly. And vice versa. The other non-psychic and the psychic will be there as controls.

The score by chance will be 1 in 6. I’m actually quite interested to see how the psychic will do, since this is a test of response bias and the psychic is not really expected to get a good result maybe this lack of pressure will be conducive to a good score. Then again, now I’ve mentioned it, perhaps it won’t.

I’m also considering including some old RV transcripts I did for an informal test some years ago (I call it “informal”: it was just me messing about, really). It’ll be interesting to see how notes written for a completely different target pool do in comparison to the others. Any opinions on this idea?

But, as I said, the more the merrier. And any feedback will be greatly welcomed.

I'm happy to help out in any way I can, either as a non-psychic or judge.

good test idea!

Ersby,
This is a good test in my opinion. I like the double controls that you put into the test also.
What I know of remote viewing is that there are different stages: a very general feeling of environment, then a slightly more detailed arrangement of the environment, and so on until a clear picture emerges. (just from one of the books that I have read on the subject) This particular test may not be good for those who are practiced in this procedure, but I do see it as a good test for those who say they can "be" in a different spot and "view" the surroundings.

I do think I am missing something though. How will the decoys work? Are they placed nearby so that the psychic will be distracted by them, or are they just the remaining characters that are not chosen by the Random Number Generator?

The decoys would just be those left in the target set that weren't chosen.

Back