• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Antarctica Yeti

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Have there ever been any reports of an Antarctic Yeti, or some similar cryptozoological beasts there (other than the giant penguin)? Seems they've missed a trick if no one has ever witnessed a mysterious figure out there in the ice and snow.

Antarica would be the last place on earth were an ape would live. The yeti is a creature of the forests not the snows and it does not have white fur.

It's come up on this message board before that Antarctica is the only continent, as well as being pretty much the only place, that man beasts haven't been reported from. I've always wondered if this isn't because the majority of people there tend to be well educated.

Yetis do have white fur according to 'Rage of the Yeti' (although it's described as a Yeren in the actual film), Snowbeast (both versions) and that other one whose plot includes a device far too implausible to make the film watchable, i.e that an American football team would be flying over the Himalayas, implying that they were on tour, further implying there's a call for American football outside of America.

So no manbeasts down at the South Pole, then? What's the state of play for mystery animals there anyway, or aren't there enough people there to spot anything significant? The sea creature is a start, but I was really interested in land creatures.

No, sadly no mystery land animals at all, I even think the giant penguin was from Florida. It's a huge shame I think that we lost a whole continent to snow and ice, especially as the mammals there would have had pouches.

OK, but let's be optimistic and say that there are no mystery land animals there as far as we know, there could be some group of critters lurking somewhere in all that snow and ice. The more exploring goes on there, the more it's possible they could spot something.

That Penguin is clearly not having a good day!

Looking at that leopard seal, I can see why some have suggested Nessie could be a long necked seal. Not a creature I want to meet in a murky, scottish lake.

There are plenty of undiscovered animals on land
Yeti
Orang-pendek
Almasty
Yeren
Ground sloth
Deathworm
Tsuchinoko
Giant anaconda
Mokele-mbembe
Possible new species of clouded leopard on Irimote

These are just a few.

lordmongrove said:
There are plenty of undiscovered animals on land
Yeti
Orang-pendek
Almasty
Yeren
Ground sloth
Deathworm
Tsuchinoko
Giant anaconda
Mokele-mbembe
Possible new species of clouded leopard on Irimote

These are just a few.

No I meant there aren't any undiscovered animals in Antarctica. But then what do I know, I'd have thought that I was the kind of person who would spot a flash flood rather than just plowing into it at speed, but apparently I was wrong about that so who knows.

I have just been trapped in a new lake for the last three hours, it has done nothing for me.

Maybe scientists will release something strange and nasty from its slumber if they keep drilling into those prehistoric lakes that are there. :twisted:

Hope your ok Oldrover. I was in a train that narrowly missed a landslide last November. I'm bloody sick of unending rain and no summer. If i had the dosh i'd be in some tropical part of Asia surrounded by oriental madens.

I think they may well find new species in the Antartic lakes and subtarranian lakes but they will all by fairly tiny (oh i do so hope for giant, white ice eels!)

Me too! Prehistoric plankton and krill aren't very menacing as far as monsters go.

Yeah thanks Lordmongrove I'm fine, thought the car might be buggered for a bit but it seems to be OK. I've had a titfull of lousy weather too.

Back