• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are All Psychics & Fortune Tellers Fakes?

Not all psychic, fortune tellers and tarot readers are not all fakes. But, there can certainly be charlatans in the business. It is these dishonest people that give actual practitioners a bad reputation. Legit tarot readers have steadily been trying to overcome the stigma placed on their professions. In this day and age, it is easy to see who are real and who are fake. This business is like any other business, and the rules of running a legit business apply.

Some years ago when I was visiting Fremantle in WA I had a reading from a Maori woman in one of the crystal shops there.
I asked her if my youngest would ever marry and she told me it would be to someone from a very old family.
I didn't know what she meant at the time but have since found out that her now husband's family and mine were related back in the 14th century.

Some years ago when I was visiting Fremantle in WA I had a reading from a Maori woman in one of the crystal shops there.
I asked her if my youngest would ever marry and she told me it would be to someone from a very old family.
I didn't know what she meant at the time but have since found out that her now husband's family and mine were related back in the 14th century.
Oh that is so cool! When I was 12, my mother took me to a palm reader. I wanted to be an airline hostess, “when I grew up”. She said I was very young to read but she did say I would do a lot of traveling when I was older. I was ecstatic thinking my dream job would come true! I ended up being a semi truck driver! LOTS of travel! :chuckle:

I am giving a talk next Friday in a Spiritualist Church. Its in a small village which doesnt have a village hall and this is the only suitable venue. Apparently its also where the local Parish Council meet. I wonder if they receive any guidance from the 'other side'? :thought:

Oh that is so cool! When I was 12, my mother took me to a palm reader. I wanted to be an airline hostess, “when I grew up”. She said I was very young to read but she did say I would do a lot of traveling when I was older. I was ecstatic thinking my dream job would come true! I ended up being a semi truck driver! LOTS of travel! :chuckle:
A palm reader once told me she could see me going on holiday soon, somewhere with lots of sand, Egypt? :cool:
Also, donkeys. Could be Blackpool.
:rollingw:

Not all psychic, fortune tellers and tarot readers are not all fakes. But, there can certainly be charlatans in the business.
Yes I understand that plenty of people who consult psychics et al accept that there are those who deliberately set out to deceive.
I more interested in what makes a 'real' or 'actual' psychic. Is it their ability to deliver some message which resounds, possibly gives a meaning, to the recipient? Because I am a sceptic I am genuinely trying to work out what is the process that is going on. And that's where I am getting lost in so many of these discussions.

I've weirded out several people by somehow knowing things about them that I shouldn't have known, and by telling them things I couldn't have known about. I cannot say if this is 'psychic' ability or not. It's not something that is planned, it just pops into my head.

I think that maybe I can 'read' people fairly well, I can unconciously pick up small clues and gauge their feelings and intentions? It could be described as a kind of emotional intelligence, perhaps.

I have put my people-reading skills to the test a few times as a minor party trick, reading very small facial expressions and pre-verbal clues (ie the words that are about to be spoken). Cold reading is rather fun to pick apart, too.

I have had several premonitive dreams that were highly distressing, but again this is not proof of any kind of super-normal ability.

My opinion of the OP's question is that anyone who publically claims to be 'A Psychic' probably is a fake. The thought of charging money for what insights pop into my head is anathema to me; in fact it makes me feel quite ill. Generally it's nice to know how someone is feeling but there are occasions where it's distressing or draining and I'd rather not know.

Quoting my own post, excuse me!

I've been called 'psychic' by others but it's not an 'ability' that one calls on, by choice -like riding a bicycle for example - in my experience. I am highly sceptical of anyone who claims they can genuinely do that.

It can be distressing and disconcerting and is often random. I have actually forwarded a couple of instances of something really pressing to the relevant authorities but anonymously, as it already sounds (and sometimes feels) mad enough.

I've actually been trying to damp down the 'flashes' of late and have had some success.

To reiterate myself - My opinion of the OP's question is that anyone who publicly claims to be 'A Psychic' probably is a faker. The thought of charging money for what insight/knowledge pops into my head is anathema to me; in fact it makes me feel quite ill. I'd help out anyone, if I thought I could but could never guarantee anything useful or even true.

Last edited:
Quoting my own post, excuse me!

I've been called 'psychic' by others but it's not an 'ability' that one calls on, by choice -like riding a bicycle for example - in my experience. I am highly sceptical of anyone who claims they can genuinely do that.

It can be distressing and disconcerting and is often random. I have actually forwarded a couple of instances of something really pressing to the relevant authorities but anonymously, as it already sounds (and sometimes feels) mad enough.

I've actually been trying to damp down the 'flashes' of late and have had some success.

To reiterate myself - My opinion of the OP's question is that anyone who publicly claims to be 'A Psychic' probably is a faker. The thought of charging money for what insight/knowledge pops into my head is anathema to me; in fact it makes me feel quite ill. I'd help out anyone, if I thought I could but could never guarantee anything useful or even true.
Has this ever been useful to you in any way?

Has this ever been useful to you in any way?

In some personal interactions, it has sometimes - 'knowing' that a certain thing or event happened to someone means I can approach them differently or be more understanding. On very rare occasions I've tried to 'warn' people of something in a way that didn't sound preposterous and/or nutty.

But generally, on balance, I regard it as something I'd rather not experience.

It was most active in my 20s & 30s but still pops up - the worst ones are the premonitions/images/perceptions of certain 'big' events or incidents which are never quite specific enough to do anything about, practically (even if they were then I guess that a lone middle-aged woman in the UK trying to contact someone in, say, Japan would not be taken seriously). They build for days. I view it as a kind of before-the event emotional reaction to some awful thing.

In some personal interactions, it has sometimes - 'knowing' that a certain thing or event happened to someone means I can approach them differently or be more understanding. On very rare occasions I've tried to 'warn' people of something in a way that didn't sound preposterous and/or nutty.

But generally, on balance, I regard it as something I'd rather not experience.

It was most active in my 20s & 30s but still pops up - the worst ones are the premonitions/images/perceptions of certain 'big' events or incidents which are never quite specific enough to do anything about, practically (even if they were then I guess that a lone middle-aged woman in the UK trying to contact someone in, say, Japan would not be taken seriously). They build for days. I view it as a kind of before-the event emotional reaction to some awful thing.
Please if you get any feelings like this in the future would you post them here? Or if you prefer not to do so could you send them as a private message to someone for subsequent verification?

I am giving a talk next Friday in a Spiritualist Church. Its in a small village which doesnt have a village hall and this is the only suitable venue. Apparently its also where the local Parish Council meet. I wonder if they receive any guidance from the 'other side'? :thought:
There is a town in Florida that is a home for spiritualists, Cassadaga. It is a fascinating town and if anyone is in Florida consider including it in your travel plans. The church service includes mediums that read for the audience. My mom felt a connection but was too shy to speak up. As someone in the ‘congregation’ I can say there was no way that medium knew my mom and this was way before the internet. I don’t doubt there will be spirits present at your talk!

By those lights though, aren't all families 'old'? I mean, all our families have been around since forever, otherwise WE wouldn't be here?

Yes I understand that plenty of people who consult psychics et al accept that there are those who deliberately set out to deceive.
I more interested in what makes a 'real' or 'actual' psychic. Is it their ability to deliver some message which resounds, possibly gives a meaning, to the recipient? Because I am a sceptic I am genuinely trying to work out what is the process that is going on. And that's where I am getting lost in so many of these discussions.
My mom was psychic, she was a dreamer, her dreams came true. I have a legit psychic friend who sees visions before her premonitions. As for myself, I don’t call myself psychic, instead I am intuitive. I could never win the lottery, that’s for sure but what happens to me is I just do something and don’t know why until it becomes clear. For example, I was an over-the-road semi truck driver and was “haulin ass” south on Hwy 28 near Salmon Idaho and started to hit my brakes and slow the truck down. It was around 3am and nothing was around except a huge bull elk with a rack of antlers down his back standing in the middle of the highway. I don’t know why I slowed down my truck when I did but I sure was thankful that I did. Every one is born with intuition, but many outgrow it or learn not to cultivate it. I would be happy to give you a reading if you would like to have a tarot reading.
:)

Last edited:
I totally agree with you, be leery of people who profess to be psychic. You are not the only one who feels sick when they ‘see’ something. I have heard that from a few people.

I've had minor warnings e.g. "Don't go to that till, the chap operating it diddles people" and "You've left something in your trouser pocket that will cause trouble in the washing machine" etc etc but I've always managed to over-ride any serious misgivings -usually with unfortunate results!

Apparently pet psychics are now in demand:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/pet-psychics-1.7143025

Again a cold reading (for a pet) that anyone could do:

"D'Amato said pet psychic Angel Morgan told her that it really bothered Broui when they left him alone at home without telling him where they were going, and that he needed to know how long they would be gone."

Yep. Dogs can have separation anxiety:roll:

"D'Amato said pet psychic Angel Morgan told her that it really bothered Broui when they left him alone at home without telling him where they were going, and that he needed to know how long they would be gone."

Replying to myself, but really, is it possible to be a psychic if you're not named Angel? Too many eye rolls for this.

Did the dog tell them how he was going to tell the time if they told him they'd only be gone twenty minutes?

When I was a child, I accompanied my mum shopping.
On the way home, mum said we had to pop in to an elderly lady (friend of my mum's friend) to make sure she's okay, see if she needed anything buying etc. She was a nice old duck and chatted over tea and biscuits. All of a sudden she paused then looked at me.
"You've got lots of lovely colours in your pocket! What are they?"
They were half a dozen tins of enamel paint I'd bought for my model aircraft. Now, I know for a fact that mum hadn't said anything about them. While we both looked puzzled, it turned out that she was a spiritualist medium when she was "more mobile". Her guide - a Chinese gentleman called Shu-shu - saw the colours and whispered about them in her ear.
The only further 'revelation' she made was with my future: she could see that I'd have a career dealing with electronics! This was in the days before personal computers, home electronics etc. I was a bit weirded out as I wanted to be a zoo keeper or a naturalist.
Nowadays it'd be difficult to have a job without dealing with electronics. The closest to her prediction was working in a commercial auctioneers; I got the job helping the 'computer bloke' fix up and work the laptops and PC's. Not a career though.

I looked up "palmistry", "palm-reading" and even "cheiromancy" to see if there was a dedicated thread on palm-reading. There isn't, which surprises me.

so due diligence having been applied, I'll post this here. I was going through old stored photographs for a different reason and discovered this: thinking back, during a craft project involving Use Of Tools, I lost focus for a second and either trapped the skin, or walloped it hard enough, for a blood-blister to form underneath the surface of my left palm. What made me take the photo is noting the damaged area formed the classic regular heart-shape.

So did this mean... for a brief and not-to-be repeated period, I was suddenly a romance magnet, Kavorka Man? (spoiler - didn't happen). Or was I Favoured Of The Gods in some way? (never noticed).

1713969219552.jpeg

I looked up "palmistry", "palm-reading" and even "cheiromancy" to see if there was a dedicated thread on palm-reading. There isn't, which surprises me.

so due diligence having been applied, I'll post this here. I was going through old stored photographs for a different reason and discovered this: thinking back, during a craft project involving Use Of Tools, I lost focus for a second and either trapped the skin, or walloped it hard enough, for a blood-blister to form underneath the surface of my left palm. What made me take the photo is noting the damaged area formed the classic regular heart-shape.

So did this mean... for a brief and not-to-be repeated period, I was suddenly a romance magnet, Kavorka Man? (spoiler - didn't happen). Or was I Favoured Of The Gods in some way? (never noticed).

View attachment 75928

Claim it's stigmata and make your fortune & fame while you can.

Please if you get any feelings like this in the future would you post them here? Or if you prefer not to do so could you send them as a private message to someone for subsequent verification?

A mixed group of people are going to be/get lost (not kidnapped, or taken hostage), on the land possibly in dense woods or forested area(s).

View attachment 75928
Brilliant. I love to see spontaneous hearts. :)
I bet there's a website for them.

Back