• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Autoerotic / Erotic Asphyxiation & Asphyxiophilia

A

Anonymous

mike_legs said:
I heard somewhere (but cannot find it on the web) that Dr. Guillotin theorized the blade of 'his' machine cut through and activated pleasure sensors in the brain, giving the victim a pleasant sensation during death. Anyone else hear this?
I haven't heard of that one, but it is a fact (or so I've heard) that, when the neck snaps during hanging, the nerve that causes the penis to engorge is stimulated, so that a hanged man dies with an erection. Maybe the good doctor based his idea on that.

I thought that an erection during hanging was something that happened back in the good ol' days when hanging was a form of strangulation (often prior to 'drawing and quartering').

Several men die each year of strangulation, attempting to raise sexual excitement by methods they had not intended to be lethal... Such cases are well known to the police, etc, but are often covered up to protect the feelings of the family. Sometimes a story does get into the public realm, however - there was a case involving an MP a few years ago.

rynner said:
I thought that an erection during hanging was something that happened back in the good ol' days when hanging was a form of strangulation (often prior to 'drawing and quartering').

Several men die each year of strangulation, attempting to raise sexual excitement by methods they had not intended to be lethal...
You're right - can't remember what the term for it is, but it's a pretty well-known sexual fetish. However, I think that the sexual excitement here is from a different physiological cause - the combination of stopping the circulation, increasing the carbon dioxide content of the blood and so on.
I'm pretty sure of my facts re execution hanging, but we really need an expert opinion on this - where are all the medical students when you need 'em?

Annasdottir said:
You're right - can't remember what the term for it is, but it's a pretty well-known sexual fetish.

Auto-erotic asphyxiation? bleh.

Its called

autoerotic asphyxiation. There's a tribute site somewhere to a young boy who died that way. Its not meant to be funny......

Had to post on this topic! The MP was a Tory named Stephen Milligan. He was found asphyxiated with a noose around his neck, an orange in his mouth, wearing stockings and suspenders. I know one shouldn't speak ill of the dead, but can you imagine trying to break that news to his parents?

"We think he may have been so distraught at not getting the lead in the Commons production of 'The Rocky Horror Show' that he killed himself. But look on the bright side - you've got enough fruit to fill your grandchildrens stockings for the next 20 years".

And as for the guillotine in France, I remember reading that it was only retired in the early '80s when capital punishment was abolished across the Channel.

Auto-erotic asphyxiation (asphyxiophilia) accounts for 250 to 1000 deaths per year in the United States. Though cases have been reported of people from 11-75 years old, the most common practitioners are 12-25 years. It's almost exclusively a male kink; few female cases have been reported. According to one study, during asphyxiation, 51% of people engage in sexual bondage, 12% in sexual masochism, 9% in fetishism, and only 4% in transvestitism. The practice has been described in medical literature for over 100 years, in fact, in Victorian England there was a "Hanged Men's Club" in London that specialized in getting its members off through strangulation.

Source: The Archives of Sexual Behavior, Vol. 18, No. 3, 181-189

Web source: Warning - not suitable for work and contains links to adult sites

Wrapped in Plastic

One morning, a security guard walked through a warehouse in New Orleans, looking to relieve the nightshift guard. After looking around for a while, he stumbled on the 34-year-old man, wrapped in clear plastic from head to toe, save a snorkel protruding out the top.
Closer examination by the coroner revealed a a truly sorry tale. The man was completely naked, with semen on his thigh and right hand. In his left was a knife, which he had vainly used to free himself from this "cocoon" after the snorkel slipped off. By the way, they searched his car, where he apparently lived, and found several articles of female clothing.

Source: The American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology; 6(2):151-152, June 1985

Picture

Magic Carpet Ride

One day this 60 year-old man just didn't show up for work. They went to his apartment, where they found his dead wet body, wrapped in fourteen different blankets partially sewn together. After they removed two pairs of hotpants, one pair of long johns, socks, and an undervest, they found his penis (and accompanying semen) in a plastic bag.

Investigators found 60 blankets in his apartment. Reconstructing the scene, it appears that the man covered the floor in the room with several layers of blankets, affixing tape to the distant blankets. He then rolled himself u in them, the tape holding him immobilized. This round, though, he suffocated himself.

Source: The American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology; 8(3):263-265, 1987

How'd That Get There?

Doing a routine pregnancy ultrasound, doctors discovered an object floating in the bladder of a thirty-year-old Saudi woman. Using grasping forceps, they retrieved the cover of a fountain pen. She denied having any idea of how it might have got in there...

Source: East African Medical Journal, August 1997

On the Table

A neighbor was concerned to hear the vacuum cleaner running continuously for a long time, so she went next door to see what was up. There, she found her 57 year-old neighbor dead, slumped over the dining room table in a compromising position. His legs and buttocks were wrapped in pantyhose and he had a table leg up his ass. Turns out, he had a heart attack, more from the excitement of the moment than due to malfunction of the vacuum. Upon questioning, his wife admitted having caught him once before in congress with the vacuum cleaner. She also admitted not having had sex with him for the past five years.

American Journal of Forensic and Medical Pathology, Vol 9, No. 3, 246-247, 1988

Picture(!)

And finally, choice cuts from Reader's Submissions:

Bright Idea

I came home drunk one night and started masturbating in the bathroom. Because I was drunk, I wasn't getting good sensation. I squatted and screwed a burned out light bulb into my ass. When I came I fell backwards and broke the light bulb. It took a lot of straining, digging and tearing to get the metal out of my ass. I bled for two days. I don't use any thing breakable any more.

Green Grosser

I am a 19 year old guy, and one afternoon I thought it would be fun to insert a cucumber all the way into my anus. I had done this before and was always able to pass it back out easily. Well this time it went in, and I couldn't get it to come back out. I also had previous engagement with a friend that afternoon so I reluctantly went with the cucumber still in my anus. I was fine for most of the afternoon until I felt it coming! Needless to say I had to rush for the bathroom, but nobody was the wiser. That experience scared the hell out of me, but it was still fun.

Home Alone

Until last year, I practiced self-bondage. I got off on the thrill of the struggle to escape. One evening while my boyfriend was working abroad, I got carried away and irreparably bound myself, wearing my tightest corset, nylons, 7" heels, nipple clamps, and a ball-gag. I managed to knock the phone onto the floor and after 3-4 hours effort, I dialed 999 with my heel. I couldn't say anything but the police broke in and rescued me. The sergeant said he'd never seen anything like it in 40 yrs on the force. I live in a small town, so I moved shortly thereafter due to the embarrassment.

I recall seeing an edition of 'Psychopathia Sexualis' that contained photos of people who had killed themselves via asphyxiophilia. Urgh!

The definitive book on dangerous sex acts is:

Autoerotic Fatalities
Robert Hazelwood, Park Elliot Deitz and Wolbert Burgess
Lexington Books
ISBN 0-669-04716-3

It's a 1980's medical text documenting over a hundred case histories of people who shuffled off this mortal coil while engaged in onanistic deeds, freqently involving bondage, cross-dressing and penetration with strange objects...

Hmmmmmm murder or auto-erotic asphyxiation gone wrong?

Posted on: Friday, May 14, 2004

Prostitute's death tied to sexual preferences

By David Waite
Advertiser Courts Writer

When a man accused of strangling a Waikiki woman goes on trial next week, his lawyer will claim that the woman was a prostitute who died accidentally while engaged in "asphyxiophilia" — the deliberate restriction of oxygen to the brain to intensify the sexual experience.

In a statement filed in Circuit Court on Wednesday, Myles Breiner, the attorney for murder defendant Donald Marks, said Marks, 40, "adamantly maintains" that Yoko Sanders "death was the tragic result of sexual misadventure."

The statement said that Marks will contend at trial that he and Sanders, 38 were engaged in "consensual bondage practices," including efforts to induce "hypoxia," or oxygen deprivation.

Marks is charged with second-degree murder in connection with the Nov. 2, 2002, slaying.

He had been renting a fifth-floor unit at a private condominium building at 2509 Ala Wai Blvd. for several months. Sanders' body was discovered in a unit on the same floor.

Breiner's trial memorandum said that according to research published in 1990, at least eight people died in Hawai'i during an 11-year period as the result of erotic and/or autoerotic asphyxiophilia.

Breiner said he plans to call Dr. Milton Diamond, a professor of anatomy and reproductive biology at the University of Hawai'i's John A. Burns School of Medicine, as a defense witness to explain asphyxiophilia.

Breiner said he also plans to call Dr. Anthony Manoukian, who is expected to testify that he concluded there were multiple "ligature" or cord or rope restraint marks on Sanders' neck instead of a single ligature mark as listed in the autopsy report on Sanders' death.

The number of ligature marks on the neck is important, according to the trial memorandum, because multiple marks would indicate the coiling of rope around Sanders neck. Multiple coils of rope around Sanders' neck would have made it more difficult to strangle her, according to the memorandum.

The autopsy report on Sanders shows no defensive wounds, no broken finger nails or rope fibers in the fingernails which would indicate that Sanders tried to remove the rope from her neck, according to the trial memorandum.

Despite multiple stab wounds, the autopsy found Sanders died of strangulation. Her head was found in a black plastic bag next to her body.

Breiner's trial memorandum addresses that issue saying her decapitation is "consistent with a state of panic known as necromaniac mutilation, which is a psychological phenomenon recognized in forensic literature."

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/May/14/ln/ln08a.html

Sounds like it could tell you how to win a place in the Strange Deaths column of Fortean Times and a Nomination for a Darwin Award.

That's a good question. I have never heard of any cases of female auto-erotic asphyxiation. Resorting to bondage, nooses, gags, oranges in every orifice and sexual drugs probably amounts to a sad attempt to defeat some of the limitations of the male system: rocket and stick, two minute flight and what's on telly?

Nothing as usual! Right, I'm off to my tantric class. :)

JamesWhitehead said:
That's a good question. I have never heard of any cases of female auto-erotic asphyxiation. Resorting to bondage, nooses, gags, oranges in every orifice and sexual drugs probably amounts to a sad attempt to defeat some of the limitations of the male system: rocket and stick, two minute flight and what's on telly?

Nothing as usual! Right, I'm off to my tantric class. :)

I think us women have more sense & are a bit more subtle!!! :lol: :lol: :laughing:

That's a good question. I have never heard of any cases of female auto-erotic asphyxiation.

without going down into the cellar to fish the dread book out, i do recall there being more than a few cases of women copping for it in there too.

Back