• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Automatic Writing

lucydru

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Has anyone ever had any experiences with automatic writing?

I have tried it myself on 2 ocassions but it never really worked. All I got was a lot of scribles and maybe the odd letter but nothing you could make any sense out of. I don't think I was in the right mind frame at both times.

Have any of you actually got anything understandable from it?

lucydru

I have never got the pen to move on its own when there wasn't
an idea in my head. Typing on here, however . . . :D

I think it might work better with the planchette as a group thing.

Alternatively, I think most creative writers will tell you that their characters
tell them what they want to say. It is not the same you writing a story
as the you that writes the shopping lists.

For an extreme example look up the case of Pearl Curran.
:rolleyes:

I'm not exactly sure if this was in the strictest sense automatic writing, maybe more stream of conciousness or something...
But when I was younger (15 or so) I used to wait until I was dead tired, then put my pen to some paper. At first, I would make my hand move randomly, on purpose, but eventually I would start writing real words but not on purpose. It was like things were popping into my head and then just coming out of the pen. I cold get pages and pages in about a half an hour, or until I was too exhaunsted. It was sort of ranting stuff, a bit supernatural in nature, craziness. I didn't do it all too often because it was very draining, but I bet I can still find the writing in a notebook in my file cabinet, since I never throw anything like that away! If I do find it I;ll post some transcripts if anyone's interested, or maybe a summary.

Yeah, that sounds like automatic writing. My question is: How long did it take before your hand started to write the random words?

Random Schmandom!

Just post any automatic writing that is really good.

What exactly is the point of transcribing the thoughts of
spirits dafter than oneself?

Astonish us.

It didn't take very long at all before my hand started writing real words. However, I didn't feel any spirit-type things going on, like I was channleing or anything. It just felt like a part of myself was doing it, like I was letting my mind run free.

This thread has really inspired me to launch a whole-hearted search of these writings of mine! I think tomorrow I will empty my cabinets and dig through my notebooks. It'll probably be a bunch of teenage depressed crap or something embarrassing, but I'll be sure to report back.

I can post some of my automatic writting too, though it won;t make much sense, because, I'm asking questions in my head to be answered......

Scare Tactics

I'd say it's typical scare tactics designed to ensnare the unwary in a tangle of fundamentalist xtian dogma traps.

I used to attend a spiritualist church in my teens and I have personally witnessed automatic writing on many occasions. I never heard of anything untoward happpening to anyone because of it though.

I have to agree with what FraterLibre says above. (Although I dont have a clue what it means! :D )

Key Words

I noted the key words used in the opening paragraphs of the artcle were Automatic Writing and Ouija Board and Trouble.

This is a typical focus of fundamentalist xtians, who wish to frighten people onto what they imagine to be the straight and narrow path toward being saved. From what? Usually the bad old devil or a variant thereof.

Anyone who finds harm of any kind in automatic writing or in the Ouija Board brought it with them in the first place. Both are but a form of meditation, really, if you think about it.

Being continually afraid, and seeing enemies everywhere, helps validate the fundy xtians, who love being oppressed because it means they must be important enough to bother with, which of course they are not.

Spirit Writing

Can anyone share any experience with "spirit writing"?
When I was younger, I lost a dear friend in an accidental shooting. My sister thought that if we could contact a medium and try to make contact , that we would accomplish some sort of closure.
The medium told us that he made contact with spirits via the use of pen and paper. He told me to relax and just think of my friend while he went into a trance, pen in hand. The pen was laid between his thumb and forefinger and actually began to move. It wrote, " Green is the colour of life beyond what you now know. To open up the past, is like taking a fish from a pond, which when once removed, may turn and bite you. The person you wish to contact is in a state of confusion of his own making and is unable to speak...." There was no punctuation or form and there were some characters that made no sense.

When we asked who was speaking, the spirit said his name was John and then he quit speaking( writing )

While I saw all of this take place, I must admit to some skepticism.
Are there ways to make a pen write without grasping it? The handwriting was quite shaky but legible. The message was somewhat confusing. Was this medium trying to keep me from obsessing about my friend's untimely death?

Has anyone seen this before?

I've seen a planchette in action and that was really very werid indeed

There was a famous American lady who apparently channelled a spirit called 'Patience Worth'. 'She' wrote poems, pages of advice and a novel based on the Bew Testament!

Yes, Escargot, her real name was Pearl Curran and she died in 1938.

Her name is always evoked in discussions of automatic writing and the
historic novels she penned are said to have been best-sellers in the
twenties. Oddly, they hardly ever show up and seem not to have
been reprinted in recent times. The brief samples I have read seem
fustian stuff.

Patience Worth was supposed to be a 17th Century Quaker girl who
emigrated to America and was killed by Native Americans! Bizarrely,
her literary productions were not tied to her own supposed life but
extended to Medieval England and a piece called The Sorry Tale. This
purported to be the life of a child born in Bethlehem on the same night
as Jesus! Later filmed as The Life of Brian??

pearl curran

she got into contact with this literary spirit while playing with a ouija board with friends at her dinner party. i presume they had nothing better 2 do:madeyes:

there was a man (i forget his name...:rolleyes: ) who said he could do automatic writing. his special trick was to put a wooden tablet under the table to let spirits write on them (i think). he used to do shows like this. and one day a sceptic pulled the tablet from his hands before he put it under the table, and there was already writing on it (duh) :eek!!!!:

i don't believe in automatic writing s***. people who claim to do it are sad swindlers after our money....................like the teletubbies:hmph:

Back