• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bare Bottoms In The Soil?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
In the very interesting article on gardening folklore in the latest FT, that old story about testing whether the soil is ready for planting in was brought up. With an illustrative photo if you couldn't picture that (!). The idea is, you drop your breeks and sit in the earth, and if the soil is relatively warm, it's time to start sowing, if it's cold, don't bother.

It does sound as if it stems from the alternate lyrics to that song English Country Garden, but is there any basis in tradition here? Or is it, as the author suspects, the gardening equivalent of sending an apprentice for tartan paint or a long stand?

Myth: When you can sit on the ground comfortably with a bare bottom, it's time to sow seeds.

Truth: Taking the temperature of the soil before planting seeds or seedlings is important. For most vegetables, the soil should be between 55°F and 60°F when measured three inches deep. This warm soil helps roots to grow. But before the invention of soil thermometers, how was a gardener to know? According to folklore, farmers used their bare posteriors or their elbows to test soil warmth.

UC Master Gardeners of Napa County
https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=9262

The Bare-Bottom Test
"Sow warm weather annuals when you can sit on the soil with your bare bottom comfortably." In other words, when the soil (not outdoor temperature) is warm enough. That is according to Janet Draper, Smithsonian horticulturist and solely in charge of the Mary Livingston Ripley Garden. ...

https://washingtongardener.blogspot.com/2010/03/bare-bottom-test.html

It's widely cited as a rule of thumb (rule of bum? ... ) attributed to "folklore." It's merely an approach to testing whether the soil is warm enough (circa 55 - 60 F.) for planting.

Although the "bare bottom test" supposedly traces back to the days before soil thermometers I can't locate any clear proof for its having been common practice. Some modern references to it state the soil temperature can be adequately assessed with one's hands or exposed legs (i.e., when wearing shorts) alone.

UC Master Gardeners of Napa County
https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=9262

https://washingtongardener.blogspot.com/2010/03/bare-bottom-test.html

It's widely cited as a rule of thumb (rule of bum? ... ) attributed to "folklore." It's merely an approach to testing whether the soil is warm enough (circa 55 - 60 F.) for planting.

Although the "bare bottom test" supposedly traces back to the days before soil thermometers I can't locate any clear proof for its having been common practice. Some modern references to it state the soil temperature can be adequately assessed with one's hands or exposed legs (i.e., when wearing shorts) alone.
When it comes to the "bare bottom" test I really want to believe.

Well now I come from a long line of gardeners both for necessity/hobby reasons and professional. None of our familly had to buy vegetables, when kinfolk visited they first looked over the garden and compared notes. As a child I fell asleep on summer nights to the sounds of our neighbour and Dad getting on with their gardens. I grew up assuming that all men were born with a set of gardening implements in their hands and all the knowledge to use them in their heads. You getting the picture? Real country folk but

I have never ever heard this one!!

When I saw the title I thought it was going to be about bottom shaped veg and it brought back happy memories of pocket money jobs helping dad harvest the spuds and seeing who could find the most bottom shaped ones. I'm sure if that testing method was a thing he would have mentioned it as it would have amused him!

Interesting idea mind, I prepared the soil reading for sowing beans this afternoon .. perhaps I could sit in the soil bare bottomed before actually setting them tomorrow?

Ah just seen Min Bannisters post NO CHANCE! Never taken a selfie in my life!

Sollywos x

Are we sure the origin of our folklore here, isn't just someone needing a jobby?
I was thinking the same, maybe it started by someone being caught pulling up their trousers after an alfresco shit on an allotment ? Anyway isn't the elbow traditionally used to check temp, such as with baby baths, never heard of anyone using their arse on juniors bath water.

I was thinking the same, maybe it started by someone being caught pulling up their trousers after an alfresco shit on an allotment ? Anyway isn't the elbow traditionally used to check temp, such as with baby baths, never heard of anyone using their arse on juniors bath water.

That's what went through my mind and then I realised that you check the babies bath water to make sure it's not too hot and you are checking the soil to make sure it's hot enough ... are both temperatures the same?

Dunno anyway it's a daft story. I'm off outside to plant a few broads and see what happens. :)

Sollywos x

The trouble with the "inspired by defecating" explanation is that most people don't sit down on the soil to evacuate their bowels, it would prove an impediment. Almost anyone would "hover" over the soil in crouching position.

Ah yes, now THERE'S an interesting subject - defecation positions. Have we had this? Does the Board have a preference for the Samauri posture over the Squatty Potty routine?

While I'm here, on the subject of gardening we may as well mention that other old horticultural ingredient, human urine, as advocated in today's edition of Gardeners' Question Time.
There's normally discussion about phases of the moon and the gender of the donor when this comes up but we didn't get that today.

I have heard that mens urine applied around the perimeter of the property helps to keep foxes away.

They'll tell you that! :evillaugh:

You used to be able to buy tubs of big cat faeces to dig into your garden to discourage other people's pets from depositing their own there. That would make a GREAT present.

(I speak as one who once bought everyone a head of rhubarb for xmas as an an excuse to leave random bags of horse manure on their doorsteps.)

While I'm here, on the subject of gardening we may as well mention that other old horticultural ingredient, human urine, as advocated in today's edition of Gardeners' Question Time.
I’m told that it is men’s wee that goes in the compost pile, but the “old boys” tell me it has to be the first one of the morning. That could be embarrassing, rushing off to the allotment with early morning wood.

The trouble is, some people don't know their arse from their elbow, hence the confusion.

Almost anyone would "hover" over the soil in crouching position.
What a fascinating thread this is. :cool:

If I might assist in verifying your observation, this statue apparently just appeared one day, with no explanation!

sub-buzz-19321-1547496262-1_resize_61.jpg

oh yeah men should wee on compost heaps first thing so be careful where you site it and you can put banana skins on compost heaps as well. No unneccesary imagery has come to mind when writing this PS ... that's Skargy the Snails deparment!

Sollywos x

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno anyway it's a daft story. I'm off outside to plant a few broads and see what happens. :)
It only seems daft if you're not broad in the bean.

A letter in the new FT from a Mr "Gardner" (joke?) says he hasn't been able to trace this superstition back before 1979, where he read it in a book. So it could be "new folklore", ie an urban myth. Or countryside myth.

This may be a new trend in the FT mag, but in the bread forum article there's a description of "cockle-bread", which is used by maidens to snare the man of their choice. It is prepared by saying a special rhyme (spell?) while kneading the dough with their bare bottom. Anyone willing to try that? Thought not.

This may be a new trend in the FT mag, but in the bread forum article there's a description of "cockle-bread", which is used by maidens to snare the man of their choice. It is prepared by saying a special rhyme (spell?) while kneading the dough with their bare bottom. Anyone willing to try that? Thought not.
The maiden must have to have talented buttocks with superb muscle control.

This does sound like one of those old Country sayings that are solemly told to newcomers who move starry eyed into the country. A sort of westcountry equivalent to haggis hunting.

Round here they check soil temperature with their thermometers or or by sticking hand in.

Back