• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Big foot spotted on Silver Star Mountain?

Heckler

The unspeakable mass
November 17, 2005 - outside Yacolt, WA

A backpacker from Vancouver, Washington, took these photos on Silver Star Mountain in Gifford Pinchot National Forest on November 17.

He says he doesn't know what the figure was, but he does not believe it was another hiker or backpacker.

The photos are inconclusive, but they are potentially relevant.

The figure you see could be a sasquatch. The silhouette is comparable to the lanky silhouette in the Marble Mountains footage. It also looks similar to some eyewitness sketches.

As in the Marble Mountains footage , there's nothing in the outline to indicate that it's another person (except for the upright posture). There's no lines indicating clothing or a pack. The lump on the neck could easily be a clump of hair, similar to what you can see in the PGF.

Most snowshoers or backpackers in these conditions would look different than this silhouette. It will be useful to compare images of an equipped snowshoer or backpacker standing at this same spot at the same time of day. We're hoping a few different people will heed our recommendation and go up there to get some comparison photos.

The terrain and present conditions helps and hinders attempts to get more photos/footage in this area. Deep snow on the ridges makes it more difficult for a photographer to move around up there, but it also makes it easier to spot trackways and movement.

It won't hurt to suggest to people in Washougal and Yacolt to carry a camera when driving around.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BFRO investigator John Callender interviewed witness (initials RC) near his home on Friday, November 25, 2005.

John says, in his opinion, RC is honest and credible. His locale and normal activities would have put him in a position to get these photos. The story and photos do not appear to be hoaxed.

These photos have not been digitally manipulated or enhanced. They were copied by our own investigator straight off RC's digital camera. The full file has not been compressed. You can download the full files by clicking the top two photos.

RC will have to write up his sighting report and submit it to the database. His sighting report will contain the directions to the location, and any other relevant details about the incident.

The clarity of these shots is nowhere near Patty, but the images are clearer than any frames in the Manitoba footage.

The shape, the location and the circumstances, makes the photos interesting enough to release for examination.

Comparative images, using a human model at the same spot, will help demonstrate the unusual aspects of this figure.

The size might be very big, and possibly off the chart for a human.

The camera positions will be easy to re-establish, along with the horizontal and vertical position on the ridge. The exact distance will be hard to determine and re-create with accuracy.

A person will have to be directed via radio to stand in the correct horizontal and vertical line, and then step back until his/her waistline is obscured by the foreground. With those angles re-created, there will be a rough comparison of body dimensions.

The figure may dwarf the human model to such a degree that it will speak for itself.

Obviously there's also a potential for more photos of this figure in this area, and there may be old or fresh track lines in the snow.

The area is inaccessible to most people at this time of year. Only some determined hikers or snowshoers will make it all the way. There's no danger of the area being overrun by people.

If you go there please photograph anyone you see up there with a long gun. Also, please get photos of vehicles and license plates at any pullouts or trailheads near the mountain. This will deter shooters and make it safer for photographers.

The photographer is temporarily allowing these photos to be released for reprint in qualified newspapers -- only newspapers -- not newsletters, magazines, books.

Source and Photos

Tough one to call without something to exactly compare for scale.

Comparative images, using a human model at the same spot, will help demonstrate the unusual aspects of this figure.

The size might be very big, and possibly off the chart for a human.
yeah, I hope they do a follow up on this.

Interesting

Interesting, but unless this creature can be shown to be of a truly enormous size, how can we ever prove that it isn't just one more human hoaxer in a souped-up gorilla suit?

Nice pics
If this isn't a hoax, I'd say it's as close to the real deal as we've ever been.

With exception of the PG film, I would say this is the best 'bigfoot' photo I've ever seen. Seems like we are getting ALOT of bigfoot activity and sightings over the past year. Normally there are only a few good sightings with a good story per decade. 2005 has been like half a dozen for this year alone.

I'm with you on that one Human_84
Now with the discovery of the Borneo cat-dog, there is hope for Bigfoot enthusiasts.

Thanks Mezz. I just thought of something else. The only other bigfoot photo that might be better would be the ones I posted a few months back. Some claim they are 100% real, and some claim fake. The photographer has claimed both. :)

Hope it is real,however I am puzzled as to why a creature would be wandering over the brow of a mountain (or sodding great hill) when it would take much less effort to "go round" rather than "over",?.

LividBullseye said:
Hope it is real,however I am puzzled as to why a creature would be wandering over the brow of a mountain (or sodding great hill) when it would take much less effort to "go round" rather than "over",?.

Maybe the same reason as any person would climb over the top of a hill. Stop, lookout for a second and keep going about your business. I'm clueless as well but thats what I come up with.

The following series of video clips show Lloyd Pye answering Frequently Asked Questions about hominoids (Bigfoot, Sasquatch, Yeti, etc.) during a recent interview by John Johnsen of Grendel Films, who is currently producing a full documentary about hominoids. John will select snippets of Lloyd's answers to be in the new documentary, and he has graciously allowed us to post the footage he shot for those who care to view it.

http://www.lloydpye.com/

The Asian relation of Bigfoot, the Yeti, was allegedly often seen on snowy mountainsides. Since there's not much to eat there, these hominids were presumably en route to somewhere else.

Other reasons for being on hilltops:

It gives a good view of the country around, helping to spot enemies or find likely places with food.

It can be easier travelling than rocky and/or boggy valley bottoms.
(In the UK, lots of ancient trackways were on high ground for these reasons.)

:?

It could be a sasquatch, or it could be someone wearing a puffy Gore-Tex coat with the hood up. Insulated coats make for weird neckless "Michelin Man" silouettes, and they also make it impossible to keep your arms straight at your sides because of the under-arm insulation.

dreeness said:
:?

It could be a sasquatch, or it could be someone wearing a puffy Gore-Tex coat with the hood up. Insulated coats make for weird neckless "Michelin Man" silouettes, and they also make it impossible to keep your arms straight at your sides because of the under-arm insulation.

Fairly possible. Only the photographer would know, and I should point out that he said he didn't know what it was. Depends on his mentality. Some people would photograph a person knowing that he would submit the photos to get people hyped up about bigfoot and still not lie because he never said it was bigfoot. Who knows. ;)

rynner said:
The Asian relation of Bigfoot, the Yeti, was allegedly often seen on snowy mountainsides. Since there's not much to eat there, these hominids were presumably en route to somewhere else.

Other reasons for being on hilltops:

It gives a good view of the country around, helping to spot enemies or find likely places with food.

It can be easier travelling than rocky and/or boggy valley bottoms.
(In the UK, lots of ancient trackways were on high ground for these reasons.)

So how come more sasquatches are not seen on mountain peaks? If the PG film was genuine and this one is also how come the two bigfeet don't look like each other?

Dessie32 said:
So how come more sasquatches are not seen on mountain peaks? If the PG film was genuine and this one is also how come the two bigfeet don't look like each other?

I dont think anyone on these message boards would say that this latest photo is of good enough quality to make judgement on whether or not the 2 bigfoot creatures look alike.

set camera traps up there and use infrared and send helicopters too to spot now and again and if they do spot something, they can track it down and study the footage.
best of all, shoot it with a tranquiliser gun or something

Why can't they just leave it alone if it exists? I like these mysteries, and having a real, live specimen would spoil the mystique.

Dessie32 said:
"If the PG film was genuine and this one is also how come the two bigfeet don't look like each other?"

Maybe for the same reason that all human beings don't look like each other?

geiger25 said:
"set camera traps up there and use infrared and send helicopters too to spot now and again and if they do spot something, they can track it down and study the footage."

There was an newspaper account of an attempt to film a Bigfoot back in the latter 1950s, a precis of which appeared in the late Curtis B. Fuller's "I See by the Papers" column in FATE magazine.

A nature photographer was filming northern California and Oregon mountain peaks when both he and the copter pilot observed a Bigfoot cavorting near the top of one of the mountains. The pilot held the copter steady while the cameraman filmed at least several minutes of the creature.

But when the film was developed and reviewed, it showed bare mountain scenery only.

No Bigfoot.

So a genuine Bigfoot picture is one where the Bigfoot cannot actually be seen? Blimey, I've got loads of those. I'm going to make a fortune!

Seriously, the picture at the beginning of this post has the right kind of "feel", somehow. I do concede, though, that it could be a lost hiker wrapped up against the cold.

OldTimeRadio said:
Dessie32 said:
"If the PG film was genuine and this one is also how come the two bigfeet don't look like each other?"

Maybe for the same reason that all human beings don't look like each other?

Yes but I was not referring to variation within a species. A couple of years back FT did a feature called "Could the Real Bigfoot Please Stand Up".

It showed all the pictures of different supposed geniune bigfoot. One was of a human faced type standing in a creek another was the PG rubbish and a few others. None looked like they could be part of the same species. Same with all these footprints.

Point taken, but I still wonder if some of these apparent species differences may be due to seasonal and other variations in color and thickness of fur and so on.

We encounter a similar problem with even the "best" UFO photographs. UFOlogy has amassed HUNDREDS of different examples of these putative spacecraft. Exactly how many alien civilizations ARE visiting us....if indeed ANY?

At least Bigfeet photographs can't be blamed on a crinkle in the film negative. <g>

As for the Patterson film being "rubbish," I'm still reserving judgment, though I am more and more leaning towards hoax. But I sure as heck wish that the major "exposers" of the film hadn't waited until well after Patterson's death before offering their testimonies.

And where exactly DID Patterson come up with a FEMALE "gorilla" suit? That was a nice touch.

Stump

I assume you are referring to the motionless "sitting Bigfoot" which is "obviously" a higher anthropoid of some kind as the camera slowly approaches frame by frame by frame from a considerable distance, but which is revealed in the final frames to be nothing more than a tree stump?

It would have fooled me, too, and it's a lesson in objective reality for all those of us Forteans who've seen that series of photographs.

the mountain top looks suspeciously like the top of Mt. San Antonio (Mt. Baldy) about 60 miles north east of Los Angeles.I'm going to check up on this silverstar mountain & look through some of my old hiking photos.If he'd lied about the location,I'd suspect he lied about the rest too.

OldTimeRadio said:
Point taken, but I still wonder if some of these apparent species differences may be due to seasonal and other variations in color and thickness of fur and so on.
In his book "Bigfoot! The True Story of Apes in America"
researcher Loren Coleman differentiates at least 3 distinct
species of primate in North America. IIRC, The East Coast creatures
seem to have reddish fur and 3 toes. I think that seasonality
(shedding, etc...) does play a part in this "primate's" appearance.
The Southern variety are the really smelly swamp-dwellers who
seem to have adapted to living in or around water (no, not like fish!)
And the Northwest Sasquatch is the familiar one with 5 toes and dark fur.

Its a very interesting read, if you get the chance... he also totally
refutes the claims that Bigfoot has magical powers (invisibility, telepathy, etc...) and explains his reasoning quite coherently!

TVgeek

TVgeek said:
OldTimeRadio said:
In his book "Bigfoot! The True Story of Apes in America"
researcher Loren Coleman differentiates at least 3 distinct
species of primate in North America. IIRC, The East Coast creatures
seem to have reddish fur and 3 toes. I think that seasonality
(shedding, etc...) does play a part in this "primate's" appearance.
The Southern variety are the really smelly swamp-dwellers who
seem to have adapted to living in or around water (no, not like fish!)
And the Northwest Sasquatch is the familiar one with 5 toes and dark fur.

Its a very interesting read, if you get the chance... he also totally
refutes the claims that Bigfoot has magical powers (invisibility, telepathy, etc...) and explains his reasoning quite coherently!

TVgeek

And makes a bundle of cash from the gulible.

Dessie32 said:
And makes a bundle of cash from the gulible.
Disagree totally there. Loren Coleman is, IMHO, a cryptozoologists with impeccable scruples. He's not sensationalist, but is methodical in his approach, and backs up what he says with well thought out argument.

Loren's in it for the science, not the money.

Back