• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Blind Psychic

Timble2

Imaginary Person
I noticed this in yesterday's Observer.

The full story is at: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,1001557,00.html

Hello, is anybody there?

Blind psychic Sharon Neill claims she has a hotline to beyond the grave. She's already famous in Ireland where her fans include Coldplay and Ash, and her offbeat show looks set to be a hit at Edinburgh's Fringe

Stephanie Merritt
Sunday July 20, 2003
The Observer

According to Sharon Neill, the first time someone asked her how long she had been a medium, she replied naively that she'd always been a size 10. It's a line that smacks of having been brought out regularly to put people at ease, and is the closest Neill comes to performance patter; at the same time it is characteristic of her debunking approach to what she describes almost dismissively as her 'job', and she insists that her ignorance was genuine. As a 17-year-old student who had just moved from her native Belfast to a college for the blind in Surrey, she had never before heard the word applied to someone who experienced the voices that had been part of her life since she was a child.
Twenty years on, Neill is a celebrity psychic in Ireland, with the ability to draw audiences of 2,000 to her live shows, numerous radio and television appearances on her CV and a list of private clients that includes Van Morrison, Ash and Coldplay. In Belfast, people stop her in the street - 'It's like being a doctor, everyone wants to tell you about their problems,' she says, laughing - and this summer she will become the first spiritualist in 12 years to perform to audiences at the Edinburgh Festival.

Her show, Second Sight, in which she picks out members of the audience at random and delivers messages to them from beyond the grave, will be staged at a new venue, The Pod. She plays up the fact that she has been blind from birth as a unique selling point, and spends a couple of minutes alone on stage 'tuning in', before identifying members of the audience from the information given her by her 'team'. Sometimes she does this by name but often, more startlingly, by describing physical characteristics that, as a blind person, she could not possibly know - glasses, for example, or the colour of a shirt. Cynics might say that such descriptions could easily be learned, but Neill's accuracy in so many cases has unravelled the arguments of many a sceptic.

Her blindness (caused by being deprived of oxygen when she was born three months premature), combined with a natural candour, warmth and humour, gives Neill little use for the theatrical trappings often associated with variety-show spiritualists of the kind characterised by Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost. There are no velvet drapes, lowered lights or candles; neither does she deck herself out in flowing robes or tinkling garlands of crystals. She is a robust woman with cropped hair, refreshingly free of New Age jargon and cheerfully liberal with what the BBC calls 'strong language'. The concession to a professional costume is that her shirt, jeans and trainers are all white. 'They told me I should wear white,' she explains. Who - the dead people? I ask, and she gives me what would have been a sideways glance. 'My manager,' she says, in a don't-be-thick tone. She's so matter-of-fact about the voices that it's easy to get confused, though; later, when she tells me she has 'a team of eight people that I work with regularly', I assume she means publicists and agents and the like, but it turns out that this time she does mean the voices. She describes their messages as 'receiving information', as if they're merely sending her emails.

Neill grew up with her three siblings in a working-class Methodist family in Belfast. Her great-grandmother was said to have read the tea-leaves with some degree of success, but with this exception, Neill's 'gift' ('I wouldn't call it a gift, you don't have to be special,' she says, democratically) is without precedent in her family. 'When I was a child, I would wake up hearing voices,' she says. 'I thought it happened to everybody. I found it very frightening at first but I thought it was just nightmares.' At college she studied sociology and trained as a counsellor with the intention of going into social work when, while researching a thesis on religious beliefs, she attended a spiritualist meeting.

'I couldn't make sense of it,' she says, 'because I found that every time I knew what the woman leading the meeting was going to say before she said it. I now realise that I was hearing the people communicate before she did, but at the time I didn't want to believe in it. I thought it could be explained by Jung's collective unconscious or something.' The process of accepting and using her ability, which began with giving readings for friends and graduated via local radio shows to television and live venues, led her to the conclusion that she could bring an extra dimension to the counselling work for which she had trained. 'I realised I could use it to help people,' she says. When I ask if this emphasis on altruism isn't at odds with the business of using a spiritual gift to make money, she immediately points out that priests and ministers are paid for using spiritual gifts to comfort and help people................

Has anyone come across this person before?

She certainly challenges some of the expectations of psychics, her blindness makes it difficult to understand how she describes people visually, and the absence of visual clues would make 'cold reading' more difficult .

Is anyone doing the Edinbrugh Festival and likely to catch her performance? (I suspect natives of the city will be fleeng to avoid the inrush of tourists)

Timble said:
She certainly challenges some of the expectations of psychics, her blindness makes it difficult to understand how she describes people visually, and the absence of visual clues would make 'cold reading' more difficult .
You cannot be completely certain that somebody is totally blind unless they actually have no eyeballs. The huge majority of "blind" people do have a very small amount of sight, enough to make out light, shadow and colour. And (in the UK at least) you can be registered blind and still possess up to 10% of normal vision.
It is this public ignorance of the facts of blindness that enables many so-called "blind psychics" to operate, and I suspect that this woman sees rather more than she is letting on. She is reportedly able to tell someone that they are wearing red - would a person totally blind from birth know what the description "red" means? The 'oxygen blindness' that she suffered as a baby means that her retinal blood vessels were damaged by oxygen; she might also have suffered partial or total retinal detachment. Without a medical report, it's impossible to know just how severe this damage was so it's perfectly possible she was left with some vision.
Aditionally, you have to remember that people who have grown up with poor eyesight develop their other perception senses to compensate. So she might be picking up sub-vocalisations, for instance, or be extremely aware of overall body language.
Nope, she's not challenged my expectations of psychics.

Timble said:
Is anyone doing the Edinbrugh Festival and likely to catch her performance? (I suspect natives of the city will be fleeng to avoid the inrush of tourists)
Yep, I'm "doing" it. If you could tell me when she will be around I'll see if I can go.

edit: aha!

· Second Sight is at The Pod in Edinburgh from 30 July to 24 August. Box Office 0131 228 9950. Useful links: http://www.sharonneill.com or http://www.csicop.org

OK, I almost certainly will find time to go, then.

Re: Re: Blind Psychic

Annasdottir said:
She is reportedly able to tell someone that they are wearing red - would a person totally blind from birth know what the description "red" means?
Nope, she's not challenged my expectations of psychics.
So you don't think the "voices" could just be saying the word 'red' to her, which she can still understand as a concept, and she is passing it on?

Uh oh, don't get me started.

A psychic with a gimmick, eh? No, it doesn't impress me either.

You only need read up on the fraudulent methods employed by the reprehensible Doris Stokes to see that vision doesn't come into it. And this old bird has the gift of the gab, too, which will add weight to her claims amongst the gullible.

So you don't think the "voices" could just be saying the word 'red' to her, which she can still understand as a concept, and she is passing it on?

I think that this is the case. The voices of her manager and backup team, that is, not her absurd "spirit guides".

"I realised I could use it to help people..."

Translation: "I realised that I could absolutely coin it in by conning the gullible into believing I was chatting to the dead."

Sorry, but people like this fraud, blind or not, make me want to puke.

You're very open minded :)

Have you been to one of her shows? It's very easy to pass judgement on something without any evidence at all. I personally don't believe there is such a thing as "being a psychic" because I haven't seen any evidence for it, but if I go along and see any strong evidence then it might change my mind.

Have you been to one of her shows?

It's down in my diary, right after snorting pepper and sticking wasps up my arse. ;)

It's very easy to pass judgement on something without any evidence at all.

Too easy.

Check out the Scole thread for some opinions on much better frauds than this. :D :D :D

'They told me I should wear white,' she explains. Who - the dead people? I ask, and she gives me what would have been a sideways glance.
A neat trick for a blind person.
Watch David Blunkett (who, incidentally, possesses the tiny amount of usable sight I spoke about, needed to distinguish light, dark and colours) speaking at meetings - he 'looks' at people with his ears, while his eyes are all over the place, not directed at anything. And he wasn't even born blind.
Has this woman ever given a show for blind people? Their reaction to her could be interesting.....

And going back to David Blunkett - he, like most blind and poorly sighted people, possesses an extraordinarily efficient memory; a talent that a psychic would find very useful when listening to an asudience during a pre-show warmup.

That's assuming that any special skill is needed to be a medium. I remember reading an interview with one of the woolly old dears who had been an unwitting victim of Doris Stokes. The lady expressed amazement at how accurate Ms Stokes had been when talking about her dear deceased husband. "She seemed to know everything," she whiffled. When the interviewer asked if she was sure she'd never spoken to Ms Stokes before the old woman replied indignantly of course she was sure. She'd only spoken to Ms Stoke's assistant. Her assistant, queried the interviewer? Oh yes, a lovely man who'd taken the time to have a nice chat about her dear husband when he'd rung her to invite her onto the show.

You can't help laughing...

Fair enough, but it's still interesting to watch people being manipulated.

Taras - have you seen her show yet? If so, what was it like?

Ta for the heads-up gordon. The review was frustratingly breif and short on actual observational data. However, from what little description there was, the cynic could make a very easy case for Ms Neill being a typical stage psychic.
She gave out messages to people she addressed only by their first names - so why didn't the spirits give a surname as well, when there was more than one person by that name? And if anyone had been listening attentively to the audience beforehand, as they qeued up and found their seats, they'd have heard plenty of first names; who addresses a friend by their surname? They'd also doubtless have heard a lot of chatter along the lines of "I'm really hoping to get something about Michael - he must have been suffering hellishly to hang himself like that." Throw in a highly retentative memory along with the sharp ears, and they're a stage psychic.
Nope, still not convinced she's for real. Can you change my mind, gordon?

Annasdottir said:
Ta for the heads-up gordon. The review was frustratingly breif and short on actual observational data. However, from what little description there was, the cynic could make a very easy case for Ms Neill being a typical stage psychic.
<snip>
Nope, still not convinced she's for real. Can you change my mind, gordon?

Hi

Yep the review was brief as I'm basically just giving an overview of a number of shows at the fringe - none of the reviews are intended to be in depth. I totally agree that everything she did could be done by a stage psychic. Can I change your mind? Nope. One thing I will say it was entertaining. Would I want to change your mind? Nope. Do I think she is the real thing? I'm not sure how the laws of slander and libel work on something like this but lets just say I'm not waiting for a message from Aunty Ethel. I do have a rough transcript of the session I went to and if I get time I will sit down and analyse the hit miss ratio and see what the vagueness level is.
I think she is better than some psychics of this nature but I want a lot more positive evidence before I believe and I agree - why have the spirits suddenly forgotten people's surnames?
If you want to talk more about this in private just email me off this board.
Gordon

Watch Derren Brown for an example of how this should be done. These stage "psychics" are pale imitations.

Back