• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Breasts of Death

MrRING

Android Futureman
from Yahoo:

Cosmetic Breast Implants May Raise Suicide Risk

By Megan Rauscher

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - The results of a new study suggest that women who receive cosmetic breast implants are at increased risk for suicide.

Dr. Eero Pukkala of Tampere School of Public Health and colleagues examined the death rates and the causes of those deaths among 2,166 Finnish women who underwent cosmetic breast surgery between 1970 and 2000. Most of the procedures involved silicone gel implants.

Women with cosmetic breast implants did not have a higher death rate overall than women in the general population, according to the report in the Annals of Plastic Surgery.

However, the authors did find an "excess" of suicides among implant patients--10 to be exact. This means that implant patients were about three times more likely than other women to commit suicide. Deaths due to suicide were most pronounced in the first five years of follow-up.

The authors note that the "high suicide risk" observed in the Finnish women supports a previous study conducted in Swedish group of breast implant patients.

The researchers emphasize, however, that their study does not prove a cause-and-effect relationship between cosmetic breast implants and suicide. It may have more to do with the type of women who choose cosmetic breast implantation. "Underlying (mental problems) represents a possible explanation," they write.

In a telephone interview with Reuters Health, Dr. James Wells, president of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons said "we've been looking at the U.S. breast implant patient population for many, many years and there has been no evidence of increased suicide rates."

It is also noteworthy, Wells said, that "the Finnish and Swedish populations have a higher incidence of suicide in general."

"That's not to say the finding should be ignored," he added. "We are clearly going to study it."

Further studies looking at the mental health of breast implant patients are needed to clarify the apparent with suicide, Pukkala's team concludes.

SOURCE: Annals of Plastic Surgery, October 2003.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031003/hl_nm/implants_suicide_dc_1

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't there a higher suicide rate in Scandanavian countries anyway? might this have skewed the results?

It's dangerous to make a huge assumtion from a small study but it might have some truth in it. Women seeking implants may have poorer self-image and be seeking answers to their problems. Having a new figure may be seen as the answer to these problems and when life fails to get better post-op they may get more depressed.

Just a guess.

I've met a few women who've had breast augmentation done, and a significant proportion of them had the op shortly after having to have a hysterectomy, I guess losing their ovaries made them feel like they were somehow less womanly so they sought to remedy this by an alternative route.

Probably doesn't explain the suicide rate, unless menopausal symptoms can unbalance some women with underlying problems (not sure about that one), though it does explain some of the symptoms which anti-implant campaigners claim arise from having this procedure done.

I've never seen the hysterectomy/implant link acknowledged anywhere, so either nobody's made the corelation yet, or perhaps the women I met were not representative of women having breast aug as a whole.

Blueswidow said:
Women seeking implants may have poorer self-image and be seeking answers to their problems. Having a new figure may be seen as the answer to these problems and when life fails to get better post-op they may get more depressed.

The same would be true of all types of plastic surgery, not just breast enlargements, surely?
I've heard of women (and men too I would imagine) who dream their life will be different once they get a new nose etc. Sad really. :(

Back