• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Can Anyone Get Sound On This?

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
This video came up on an FB page recently.

http://thelasttasmaniantiger.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/interview-with-neil-mcculloch_21.html?spref=fb

Now, I have terrible trouble with computers, and no device I've got will play the video. So, I contacted someone to ask them what it said, and they said they could play the video, but with no sound.

I'm desperate to hear the bloody thing, it raises serious possibilities about the last captive thylacine specimens. Can anyone get it to work?

Thanks for reading.

I'm very low tech and I clicked on it and it worked straightaway. I've got a Macbook and am using Firefox. It may be worth trying different browsers (Firefox, Safari etc). And I know it sounds obvious but have you checked that either your computer or the video isn't muted. Sorry if any of this sounds patronising but I'm used to explaining things like this to my 82-year-old dad who's even less technical than me.

I can get sound on that.
Unfortunately, that video is badly embedded, so I can't just give you the Youtube URL.
Anyhoo...he's not saying much more than is in the writing underneath. The extra stuff he's talking about is not relevant (stuff about other animals).

I can't save the video to transcribe the soundtrack as an MP3 but I have transcribed it as text:

I would like to introduce my Grandfather, Mr. Neil McCulloch. he is going to tell us about when he first saw the last-reported thylacine:

My name in Neil Stuart McCulloch. I was born in Bartaba? Boat Harbour? in 1920, therefore I am now ninety years of age. My grandfather, the late James Harrison, lived in Wynyard; he had his own private zoo, consisting of a large block of ground on which he kept kangaroos and wallabies etc. He also had a good set of cages, in which wombats, devils, native cats and other animals were housed. Also, there was a platypus-pool, specially made to keep platypus in; and they were fed on worms and local boys were encouraged to bring the worms along in tins and they were paid sixpence a tin, I think, as far as I can remember.

Now he also had big cages with eagles in them, white hawks, owls, cockatoos [edit] He did not keep them for himself permanently but usually they were passed to him by trappers or snarers who were snaring wallabies and kangaroos at the time and he took care and rehabilitated these animals, before sending them on to various zoos. A typical example of this being when he personally took several platypus to Tarongas Park Zoo in Sydney - I don't know what year it was, now. [edit]

Now, on to the thylacine: In 1931, grandfather and his mate were prospecting for gold in the Tarkine area, which is back of Burnie. They had set snares for wallabies and, perchance, caught a thylacine. It had a broken leg but, somehow or other, they managed to transport it to Wynyard, where the local GP - the local Doctor - anaesthetized and set the leg. Grandfather took it home and rehabilitated it before forwarding it to the Beaumaris Zoo in Hobart. That was in 1931. Now, that thylacine lived to 1936. [edit]

I fondly believe that there are some of the species - thylacine, that is - living today. [edit]

[up to this point he has been reading from his script. Now he relaxes and seems to be responding to questions]

I can't remember a great deal about this thylacine, except it had this plaster on its leg and it was in this cage, retreated to the back of the cage. It wouldn't come up very close to you but I reckon I was within five or six feet of it and I had a good look at it. It wasn't nasty in any way; it was just shy and lonely sort of thing, and I was very glad when it was sent off to the zoo and put in a better cage or yard, or whatever it was.

I sometimes come across videos on eg BBC News that won't play.
But I often find that refreshing the page works wonders - another string to your bow, perhaps?

FWIW, the video and sound play fine on my machine (using Firefox).

NB: Search You Tube for 'Last Tasmanian Tiger' - that may turn up something you've not seen before.

I can't save the video to transcribe the soundtrack as an MP3 but I have transcribed it as text:

I would like to introduce my Grandfather, Mr. Neil McCulloch. he is going to tell us about when he first saw the last-reported thylacine:

My name in Neil Stuart McCulloch. I was born in Bartaba? Boat Harbour? in 1920, therefore I am now ninety years of age. My grandfather, the late James Harrison, lived in Wynyard; he had his own private zoo, consisting of a large block of ground on which he kept kangaroos and wallabies etc. He also had a good set of cages, in which wombats, devils, native cats and other animals were housed. Also, there was a platypus-pool, specially made to keep platypus in; and they were fed on worms and local boys were encouraged to bring the worms along in tins and they were paid sixpence a tin, I think, as far as I can remember.

Now he also had big cages with eagles in them, white hawks, owls, cockatoos [edit] He did not keep them for himself permanently but usually they were passed to him by trappers or snarers who were snaring wallabies and kangaroos at the time and he took care and rehabilitated these animals, before sending them on to various zoos. A typical example of this being when he personally took several platypus to Tarongas Park Zoo in Sydney - I don't know what year it was, now. [edit]

Now, on to the thylacine: In 1931, grandfather and his mate were prospecting for gold in the Tarkine area, which is back of Burnie. They had set snares for wallabies and, perchance, caught a thylacine. It had a broken leg but, somehow or other, they managed to transport it to Wynyard, where the local GP - the local Doctor - anaesthetized and set the leg. Grandfather took it home and rehabilitated it before forwarding it to the Beaumaris Zoo in Hobart. That was in 1931. Now, that thylacine lived to 1936. [edit]

I fondly believe that there are some of the species - thylacine, that is - living today. [edit]

[up to this point he has been reading from his script. Now he relaxes and seems to be responding to questions]

I can't remember a great deal about this thylacine, except it had this plaster on its leg and it was in this cage, retreated to the back of the cage. It wouldn't come up very close to you but I reckon I was within five or six feet of it and I had a good look at it. It wasn't nasty in any way; it was just shy and lonely sort of thing, and I was very glad when it was sent off to the zoo and put in a better cage or yard, or whatever it was.

Thanks mate I really appreciate that. Seriously, it was really kind of you.

This account, is corroborated, partially in two other sources, though not entirely. Dates etc, conflict.

And it directly conflicts with the accepted theory of when and where the last captive specimen was taken in the wild. But, there is still some confusion, at least as to whether another tiger passed through the zoo in roughly the same era.

This is the second account now that lends a bit of support to this, plus, there are little or no official zoo records covering this period. And, what other sources there are give conflicting dates.

It's almost certainly impossible to gain any clarity about this now, but....

Last edited:

What a bally nice sort!

Back