• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Canvey Island carcasses

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know anything about the two mysterious carcasses washed up on Canvey Island in 1954? I did a google search and found numerous sites mentioning the "Canvey Island Monsters", but they all seem to be merely repeating the same two articles:

http://www.spartechsoftware.com/dimensions/creatures/CanveyIsland.htm

http://anomalyinfo.com/articles/sa00002.shtml

The description seems to be some weird blend of gilled amphibian and humanoid... dammit, why does EVERYTHING vaguely fortean I have seen on the net in the last few days remind me of HP Lovecraft? :rolleyes:

Sorry to bring back my own old thread, which obviously noone has any further information on (and I have posted on just about every crypto site on this, similarly not getting any response, so maybe there is no further info...), but I have just had an idea...

Does anyone have a picture of one of the dried up carcasses of skate rays or monkfish which were exhibited at freak shows as "devilfish"? These would be about the right size for the Canvey Island carcasses, and I have a vague memory of some other kind of holes in the "face" of the fish being distorted so as to look like eyes and/or nostrils...

Of course, that wouldnt explain the 5 toed feet, but they CANT really have been Lovecraft-style "alien amphibians"...

... Can they?:D

No new info, I'm afraid, but I see the first link gives a book by Thomas Slemen as one source - that's a name that has cropped up on this board more than once!

Canvey Island is a pretty weird place anyhow - it's all below sea level, so its days could be numbered as global warming progresses. It has very high sea walls - it was flooded in the 1953 storm. And a lot of the ground there is frozen because the oil refinery stores LPG underground.

my old man's from Canvey...
I'll ask if he knows anything about this, tho he aint ever said anything about it (born in '49, if there's any truth in it he may well have heard something...)

as usual

the stranger it is the less info there is, no photos ,no follow ups , just a real tantalizing story.:mad:

Way Off Thread, But Strangely Relevant.

rynner said:
Canvey Island is a pretty weird place anyhow - it's all below sea level, so its days could be numbered as global warming progresses. It has very high sea walls - it was flooded in the 1953 storm. And a lot of the ground there is frozen because the oil refinery stores LPG underground.
And, by a strange and eerie coincidence, this is the 50th anniversary of that very storm! :eek!!!!:

It also broke the Dutch dykes and flooded large areas of the southern Netherlands, particularily Zeeland, causing wide spread devastation and killing at least 1800 people. :(

well me dad got back to me and says he's never heard the things mentioned (although he did come from a very Christian family, so they probly wouldn't have talked about it even if it did happen).
He also pointed out that the 2 reports have the dates inverted, which I didn't notice.
Plus where are the photos, why'd they burn them and how come I (also) only found those same descriptions on every website I looked at?
If 'the authorities' checked it out, I'd assume there must have been a written report submitted to someone.
wonder what happened to it, and the photos...

unrelatedly:
It has very high sea walls - it was flooded in the 1953 storm.
He does vaguely remember that. Apparently his older brothers had a boat and they charged to ferry ppl accross a flooded road :D

Back