• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chasing New Year Around the World

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
If you had access to Concorde or whatever is the fastst method of flight available could you theoretically get around the world celebrating New Year at several venues?

Starting wherever the day begins then flying to Sydney to see their fireworks, next stop Bombay (?), then Cairo. From Paris you could easily get to London in time to see it in there, next stop NY before finishing up in LA and Hawaii or wherever is the last place to see it in?

Could this be done?

McAvennie said:
If you had access to Concorde or whatever is the fastst method of flight available could you theoretically get around the world celebrating New Year at several venues?

Starting wherever the day begins then flying to Sydney to see their fireworks, next stop Bombay (?), then Cairo. From Paris you could easily get to London in time to see it in there, next stop NY before finishing up in LA and Hawaii or wherever is the last place to see it in?

Could this be done?

Louis Wu did it in "Ringworld" didn't he-- only it was his birthday IIRC, and he had teleportation technology...

You could walk it - in Antartica!

Start on the International dateline, and walk a small anticlockwise circle around the South Pole, keeping pace with 'New Year'. You wouldn't visit many intesesting places though, and I doubt if there'd be fireworks.

In fact, as it is the Southern summer, the sun would be up all the time, on the opposite side of the pole from you, so you could use that to pace yourself.

If you actually sat at the pole, you wouldn't have to walk anywhere.

Although technically, I think they use Universal Time at the South Pole. (About a second off GMT.)

And since there is actually a settlement very close to the pole, you might see something interesting. Maybe not fireworks, but maybe some idiots going for a nude run or something. (Although that sort of thing is more popular at the Winter Solstice.)

You know, I believe BA actually used to do this, dude, with Concorde.

I recall seeing an advert in The Times in 1989* for Concorde "fantasy flights", and also for chasing-new-year-flights, where you celebrated in one time zone at the airport, then hopped onto Concorde to do it all again.

I guess if I can't find any corroborative evidence for this, we'll have to file it under urban myths. But am 100% certain of seeing it.

*remember the year cos asked for it as a birthday pressie for particular birthday- since price was something like £400 in 1989 prices, was unsurprisingly told to do one by unimpressed folks.

Conners said:
You know, I believe BA actually used to do this, dude, with Concorde.

I recall seeing an advert in The Times in 1989* for Concorde "fantasy flights", and also for chasing-new-year-flights, where you celebrated in one time zone at the airport, then hopped onto Concorde to do it all again.

I guess if I can't find any corroborative evidence for this, we'll have to file it under urban myths. But am 100% certain of seeing it.

*remember the year cos asked for it as a birthday pressie for particular birthday- since price was something like £400 in 1989 prices, was unsurprisingly told to do one by unimpressed folks.

Hmm, Google a bit reticient here. Typing in "Concorde" along with "time zones" and "new year" just blinds you with irrelevant stuff that mentions Concorde in passsing.

This is the best I could do....(more seasoned Googlers will surely find more or prove Conners wrong)

http://www.firstscience.com/SITE/factfi ... 01_720.asp

Found this snippet:

A lot of people seemed to be in a contest for the most original New Year's 2000: from flying the Concorde around the globe to changing the time zone of some Pacific islands... I have to say that ours was quite original: a bunch of scientists, technicians, mechanics all stuck together, getting drunk and dancing with the three available women. Well, just like everybody else ! And we were the very first ones on the planet to see the new sun... since we saw it all night.

here: http://www.gdargaud.net/Antarctica/Concordia.html

(But had to log in again to post this reply - I've only been online about 20 minutes! :furious: )

Back