• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cloned Body Parts

A

Anonymous

According to the Guardian and the BBC scientists in American have sucessfully cloned and implanted a body organ (from the Guardian):

'Researchers in the US have fabricated and implanted primitive artificial kidneys using tissue from a cloned animal embryo, it was announced last night.
Scientists implanted the kidney units in the same animal, a cow, from which the tissue was cloned. The cloned units were not rejected by the cow's immune system, and mimicked the action of a real kidney - suggesting that one day, dreams of growing human kidneys for transplant, cloned from a patient's own cells, could become reality.
The work, led by the controversial private firm Advanced Cell Technology (ACT), throws down the gauntlet to Congress, which is about to debate a ban on all experiments with fertilised human embryos in the US. Such experiments were recently legalised in Britain.'

great

sounds great to me. why not clone one's entire body, except for the dna for the brain? then, u wd have a replacement body with no brain, waiting for u when u might need it. Repeat, the replacement never develops any brain. there is no removal of anything from the replacement body. there is NO lobotomy. The clone only gains ur brain.
You see, eventually, single organ cloning will not do the job of keepimg u alive.
what do u think?

Sounds fantastic John. I'll have one in a size 10.

REPLACEMENT BODY

Originally posted by beakboo
Sounds fantastic John.
as i see it , a problem wd be cost. do u think the National Health...is that what u call it over there?....would supply it for all?
John

Most people will never need an organ transplant so having a spare body for everyone would be a huge waste of resources. A better solution would be to grow individual organs on demand, which I think is the goal of the above research.

Jane.

MEJANE , AN ANSWER

thanks for the reply. I would only like to point out that individual organs will not keep u going past age 122. Sooner or later, everyone will need to replace the entire body...all bones, ligaments, fat pads, lymph channels, capillary tubules...the works.
for this , u will need an emptyclone. REPEAT, emptyclones are fm the outset lacking the DNA for the forebrain, and never grow any forebrain. They are incapable of human consciousness. NOTHING IS EVER REMOVED FROM THE EMPTYCLONE. They only receive the forebrain of the aged patient, benefiting both the patient and emptyclone...clone gets awareness, the patient gets immortality. you see, if this forebrain transfer is repeated every seventy yrs, the patient is immortal.
John Newtol

PS I might add that ACT, the leader in the cloning field, has said that cloned organs have youthful telomeres. Seems cloning 'rewinds the body clock" back to a youthful state.

so these organs not only replace failing ones, they add a youthful element to an otherwise aged body.

Re: MEJANE , AN ANSWER

john186 said:
thanks for the reply. I would only like to point out that individual organs will not keep u going past age 122. Sooner or later, everyone will need to replace the entire body...all bones, ligaments, fat pads, lymph channels, capillary tubules...the works.
for this , u will need an emptyclone. REPEAT, emptyclones are fm the outset lacking the DNA for the forebrain, and never grow any forebrain. They are incapable of human consciousness. NOTHING IS EVER REMOVED FROM THE EMPTYCLONE. They only receive the forebrain of the aged patient, benefiting both the patient and emptyclone...clone gets awareness, the patient gets immortality. you see, if this forebrain transfer is repeated every seventy yrs, the patient is immortal.
John Newtol

While I understand your desire to avoid the messy ethical problems with raising a clone, and then hacking out their brain to replace it with their "parent's" brain, I'm not sure it will work quite so easily.

Suppose you have a cloned body of approximate age 18, and the "parent" body is about 70. You take the brain from the 70 year old, and put it in the 18 year old body. The brain is still 70 years old, and still has corresponding telomere lengths. The brain will presumably continue to age (remember the brain shrinks after age 30 or there abouts) as if it were a 70 year old.

So, despite having the youthful body of a 30 year old, you'll have the brain of an 82 year old. We still don't know a lot about how the brain works, or how some of the problems with aging (senility, Alzheimer's, etc) actually occur. Any process to extend lifespan (particularly one as drastic as the one you propose) needs to address this issue as well. (I don't have an answer as to how, I only have the questions. So it is with much of life.)

(In another forum you asked about my signature. I don't really know that I understand it myself, I just thought the use of overly pretentious language was a form of poetry.)

ANOMIE REPLY

love your modesty about the sig paragraph and not having all the answers....humility leads to wisdom....pride bars it.

viz the forebrain's aging, tho in young body....the emptyclone, which never develops any forebrain, is to receive the aged forebrain as soon after birth as is safe for the operation...not age eighteen.
now, as to the elder forebrain...U of Pittsburgh has already injected twelve million cell line neurons per patient, into alzheimer's patients. aslo, austral. scientists have autocloned brain neurons, so even better source for brain injection than cell line.

I hope these two will ans ur question...the aged forebrain will ..in my proposal,....be gradually , totally replaced by injected neurons.

This process will be Analogous to native brain stem cell replacements, and "identity" should survide in the aged brain during injections, just as it survives today's innate stem cell replacement of dying cells.

So, repeating the forebrain transfer every seventy yrs, and then neuron injections, can give today's very aged an immortal life....not the grave.
those interested in more modest proposals for longevity, can view the excellent site, grg.org. Especially good is their news button.
cordially,
John Newtol

Read somewhere about a gene that causes ageing, switch it off and lifespan increases manyfold. Then you only need clone tissue to grow damaged parts from accident or disease.

thanks for the reply...
I think u read about the nematode worm...poss also the fruit fly...i am certain ...99 percent ...that such not yet for humans.

However, the reverse may be tru for humans....a normally OFF gene, TELOMERASE, when switched ON in the lab, can convert mortal skin cells to an immortal state...Geron corp research. Geron sadly now into other things./// for latest on such work see site of ACT and sierrasci.com, both in usa.

viz this gene, also see my post about it i this forum...LIVE FOREVER.
john n.

Back