• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Compare ESP to another ability

How would you compare ESP compare to other talents?

• Music - like describing perfect pitch to the tone deaf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Artistic - like understanding depth to a one-eyed person

• Like a seeing person to the blind

• Like a hearing person to the deaf

• Like a person who can see color to the colorblind

• Like an insane person to the sane

• Like understanding quantum theory to a non-scientist

• It's still all in their imagination

• ESP? What's ESP?

• Total voters

headnspace

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've mentioned elsewhere on this board about how Extra sensory perception can be compared to other rare abilities.
Synaethsesia
Color Blindness
Musical ability

I'd like to compare ESP to Musical ability.

I'll call basic ESP the ability to sense auras, and also sense entities (spirits, ghosts, guides, whatever you want to call them).
Most of us just can't sense spirits, see auras, or in general use more than the five basic senses. Many of us have intuitions that may or may not be a subconscious ability stemming from those five sense (taste, smell, hearing, seeing, touch). Some of us have strong intuition that tells us when something is "not right". Fewer of us get a "strange feeling" when someone they know is in trouble. Even Fewer of us can see auras around living things. Even fewer of us can sense entities all around us. A very very few can communicate with these entities in any meaningful way. (and most that claim it are lying). It is a rare gift to have, and in extremely rare cases, the gift is recognized, practiced, enhanced, and increased.

Compare this to musical ability.
Most of us listen to music and enjoy it. We cannot read music, do not know how to play an instrument or do more than just keep a beat with our fingers, toes or head. Many of us can actually read music, as a language of music created by man. Some of us can read the music and duplicate it with voice or instrument. Fewer of us can read the music, and duplicate it with feeling, passion, or more than "just the notes". Even fewer of us can create music, knowing the value of the notes, the feelings the beat, rhythm, words, and sounds mix together to give us a song. A very few have "perfect pitch", in which they can reproduce (or recognize) exact notes with voice without the aid of instrument or guide. It is a rare gift to have, and in extremely rare cases, the gift is recognized, practiced, enhanced, and increased.

Recognizing the talent at a young age can be crucial, or the talent can be lost. I am sure millions of talented young musicians with natural talent of perfect pitch never realize that they are talented because the opportunity is not there to just recognize it. No music teacher to recognize a talented individual, no instrument to practice with, and only mediocre music that makes the master-to-be disillusioned and disinterested.

This is the same with Extra-Sensory Perception. SO MANY people are so sure that imaginary friends are just "imaginary" and so many children who draw their parents with rainbows aruond their bodies, but are told to never draw those again. Talent stopped before it even has a chance to mature. Some parents recognize the ability in their children and teach the children that it is not bad, not evil, and not "just their imagination". With talented developed in the right atmosphere, some of the more talented can learn to increase their ability. (others will inevitably lose the ability, whether training was tried or not) Some learn to recognize which intuition to listen to as a genuine outside influence, and which intuition is more of a mental bias. Some learn to talk to the entities, and some learn to ignore them. Some practice watching and learning about auras, while others become disinterested and lose the ability to see them.

If a person with ESP talent is recognized at the right time, just like a talented musician, their talent can be stoked and influenced to become seen at the level of genius, just like a talented musician. At this juncture in human history, there are some very talented musicians, but the world only hears noise. Perhaps someday, the world will learn to beat drums in time. They'll have several instruments accompany, to sing along, even though they can't create a song or have perfect pitch. To perhaps even someday enjoy the music, and not criticize the musicians for trying to learn music in the first place.

That is how I see ESP and the way the world treats it. It is like the first musicians in past millenia trying to get the people out of the caves and learning music.

Having a person without ESP, or even a remote belief in the possibility; like a tone-deaf person testing a singer with perfect pitch. It is like a colorblind person testing for colors. It is like a second grader with a hair dryer attempting supersonic results. The science may be well intentioned, but realistic results will not be obtained.

I thank you if you have read this far. :)

Your thoughts on this comparison?

Great idea for a thread - being a party pooper (if you've got a party I'll poop it) I'd suggest you need to prove that ESP exists.

;)

Oh yeah, right. And all that would require, is truckloads of irrefutable statistical proof.

link

:shock:

This week, I am mostly comparing obvious experiences of ESP with scoring a 'hole in one' in golf.

:yeay:

Great idea for a thread - being a party pooper (if you've got a party I'll poop it) I'd suggest you need to prove that ESP exists.

Foul on the party pooper!! ;)

It's as easy to prove as to tell you that I really did dream last night that I went on a cruise.
:lol:

I really did! But, don't know how I can prove it.

Another comparison - ESP is like trying to describe a dream?

Minor party pooper - can we have a definition of what it is?

If we have to prove it exists I'll never get around to voting and it's a lovely poll!

Definition

Athena said:
Minor party pooper - can we have a definition of what it is?
quote]

Minor - one who is not of "legal" age
Party Pooper - one who sucks the life from a party (quick definition)

So, a minor party pooper is a child who sucks the life from a party.

Or did you mean a definition of what ESP is? ;)

GROAN! :D

Lets leave the child to one side and do the ESP definition?

Is there a way to see the poll results before I vote or are they available only after I've done so?

ESP - a definition

ESP - Extra Sensory Perception.

This means someone can detect something without using sight, sound, touch, taste or smell. Some view it as a "paranormal" or "supernatural" attribute.

So, It can be sensing "auras" which, even though seen by some, are not seen by most people. Auras are energy fields around living things (for lack of more scientific explanation of what kind of "energy" it is).

It can be sensing danger without any other indication. "I've got a bad feeling about this" is one type of commonly used sense.

It can even be extended to sensing ghosts, spirits, and other entities which most people just don't sense.

It is also commonly associated with precognition, the knowing that something will happen before it happens. "I know who is calling on the phone" is one of the more common examples.

Reading minds is a type of ESP, although talented mentalists can do some incredible feats resembling ESP.

These are some common examples of ESP, although there are certainly more.

And the poll so far is fairly even, with 3 votes "imagination" on top, 2 votes for "colorblind", and 1 vote for "music", "art", "quantum" and "ESP?", and no votes for the others. You should be able to view the results when you vote also.

Back