• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Competition

Would UFO photo comp be a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mothman8

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Recently there has been a large thread concerning a certain Monsieur Miere and his rather crappy photos of supposed flying models, I mean UFO's. I think it would be superb if Fortean Times ran a competition open to all readers on who can produce the most realistic UFO photo. You could have different categories such as those using PC's/paintshop, models, film etc. What do you lot think.

It might work better here.

People can throw in their best efforts, get feedback and offer advice themselves so everyones attempts are improved.

MSN ran a similar competition earlier this year (to promote their blogging service MSN Space), but the results aren't particularily impressive. I'm sure we could do better...

http://www.msnspacerace.co.uk

(BTW, MSN promoted their competition by getting Real Life Fox MulderTM Nick Pope to judge the entries. Any suggestions for a celebrity judge? I was thinking Beckjord, myself.)

My idea behind FT doing it is because it is a well known magazine now and has international readership. We all know that folk in general like a bit of recognition for their efforts and while I know they could get it here on the forum the lure of getting their pic on the cover of FT would be a much bigger draw ( or in a big article ). I dont think we would get many entries if it was just on the forum. The lure of self promotion and a bit of fleating hoaxer fame would get a ton of entries. Still, if the only way we could do it is on the forum then lets see what we can do. How do we go about proposing it etc, rules and all that. Form a competition commite post haste. Also, I cant spell ( never been able to, thank god for spell check ) and my grammar isnt good either so who would like to draw up the rules.

I'm all agin hoax pictures, although I can understand the competitive element suggested here. (And I'd enjoy joining in!)

But what worries me is that anything of this nature posted on the internet will immediately be siphoned off by 'true believers' as genuine photos. Thus muddying the already opaque waters of UFOlogy even further.

So the rules would have to require some sort of element included in the picture that would be impossible to erase, making it clear that this is an artefact of technique rather than a real image.

But is such a thing possible, now that man has entered the Photoshop Age...? :?:

mothman8 said:
You could have different categories such as those using PC's/paintshop, models, film etc. What do you lot think.

Must have a Bone China category. :)

Sounds like a laugh at the very least!! ;)

And it may help to clear up points on the facts and mythology of UFO photography...!! :)

Back