• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Curses

I wonder if these curses only work effectively if both parties involved REALLY believe it will? Perhaps you are too much of a sceptic to be cursable, hehe.

A good curse slinger doesn't even have to be known to the person who is being cursed for it to work. They need never even have met. And the worst curse you can place on someone? May they get everything they want.

A good curse slinger doesn't even have to be known to the person who is being cursed for it to work. They need never even have met. And the worst curse you can place on someone? May they get everything they want.

Damn! I hope I never cross a good curse slinger so. How does one become a good curse slinger anyway? Probably practice , hehe. Then after one becomes an such an expert, is it possibee to be able to lift a curse that is already in place? It would be interesting to be cursed with getting everything you want , but after a while to have it revoked :)

Isn't it said about curses that some of the bad effects can rebound back on the person who made the curse?

Damn! I hope I never cross a good curse slinger so. How does one become a good curse slinger anyway? Probably practice , hehe. Then after one becomes an such an expert, is it possibee to be able to lift a curse that is already in place? It would be interesting to be cursed with getting everything you want , but after a while to have it revoked :)

The thing about being cursed with getting everything you want, is that unless you are extremely wise, almost none of it will be things you actually need, and ultimately this will cause all your dreams to crumble before your eyes, and your life to become a horrible parody of itself, plus it will burn out all your good luck. It generally leads to suicide. As to being a good curse slinger, you need to understand the ins and outs of fate intimately and have a very strong sense of justice, both divine and poetic.

If anyone sidles up to you in a pub asking if you want to buy a bell, best not take them up on the offer

'Cursed' bell stolen from Lochaber's St Finan's Isle
  • 3 hours ago

A historic bell has been taken from an island burial ground in the Highlands.
Police said the early-Medieval hand bell was stolen from uninhabited St Finan's Isle in Loch Shiel sometime over the past month.
For centuries since 661 AD, the island was a Christian burial ground and more recently became well-known as a location in the Harry Potter films.
Moidart History Group said the bell was reputed to be cursed and was last stolen by a soldier in the 1740s.
etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-49095983

l watched an interesting telly programme yesterday: Race to the Death: Rome’s Charioteers (Ch.4)

lt was the usual “10 minutes of useful information compressed into an hour”, but l found one short segment particularly absorbing: In a well near the Roman chariot circuit at Caesarea, Israel, archaeologists have found numerous Roman lead curse tablets.

One of said tablets was found to have been rolled around a bunch of sage (Salvia officinalis). The punter who produced the tablet called on an unnamed goddess to cause convulsions in his rival teams’ horses.

A quick Google reveals that sage contains a compound known as thujone, which has been found to cause - ta-dah! - muscle spasms and convulsions.

Clever curser...

maximus otter

I wonder if the judge's ruling will lift the curse.

A Cork woman put a curse on gardaí that they or someone in their families would die.

Higgins said, “I will put a curse on you. I hope you die. I hope someone belonging to you dies. My people will find you. If I don’t come across you I will come across your family.”

Judge Olann Kelleher said it was a serious threat and he put the case against Madeline Higgins, of 239 Comeragh Park, The Glen, Cork, back for one week. The 47-year-old was given a three-months jail term suspended for two years on the condition that she would write a letter of apology within one week.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-woman-put-a-curse-on-gardai-950254.html

“I will put a curse on you. I hope you die. I hope someone belonging to you dies. My people will find you. If I don’t come across you I will come across your family.

The first bit will come true eventually without intervention. The second, which I've put in bold, is a threat. That's what's got her in trouble.

A Byzantine era curse tablet discovered in Israel has now been deciphered. It records an elaborate curse aimed at a dancer competing for some sort of prize or award.
Ancient 'Curse of the Dancer' Deciphered, Revealing Backstabbing Rivals

A Greek engraving on a 1,500-year-old lead tablet discovered in the ruins of an ancient theater in Israel has finally been deciphered, revealing a curse that may rival the modern-day backstabbing between athletic opponents.

The curse calls upon numerous demons to inflict harm on a dancer named Manna, who likely performed at the famous Caesarea Maritima theater in Israel, which was built by Herod the Great.

The fact that the tablet was found in the ruins of such a prestigious theater suggests that Manna "must have been a famous artist and therefore the prize would have been considerable, not to mention the fame and reputation that were at stake," for the winner of a dance competition, wrote Attilio Mastrocinque, a professor of Roman history at the University of Verona ...

And the person cursing Manna wasn't messing around: "Tie the feet together, hinder the dance of Manna," the curse tablet, inscribed in Greek ... "Bind down the eyes, the hands, the feet, which should be slack for Manna when he will dance in the theatre…"

To do this, the curse asks for the assistance of several gods including Thoth, an ancient Egyptian god of magic and wisdom. It also calls upon the "demons of the sky, demons of the air, demons of the earth, underworld demons, demons of the sea, of the rivers, demons of the springs…" to hurt Manna.

"Twist, darken, bind down, bind down together the eyes…" of Manna the inscription says. "He should move slowly and lose his equilibrium" and "he should be bent and unseemly…"

The curse tablet was discovered by an Italian archaeological team sometime between 1949 and 1954, but the inscription was difficult to make out. It was only recently that Mastrocinque deciphered it, using a method called Reflectance Transformation Imaging (RTI). ...

The curse tablet dates to the sixth century, a time when the Byzantine Empire controlled the city.

Taking that period into account, it's possible that Manna and the curse-writer were from warring factions. In the Byzantine Empire, people competing in dance or other competitions were sometimes part of rival factions — such as the "blue" and "green" factions — and the competition between these factions could be intense, sometimes even resulting in public riots ...

... While the Byzantine Empire used Christianity as its official religion, and Christianity didn't worship Thoth and other "pagan" gods often named in curse tablets, this didn't stop the use of curse tablets ...

"This [curse tablet] along with many others issued in the late imperial period and in the early Middle Ages, confirms that the Christianization of the Roman Empire did not stop the maleficent magical arts… on the contrary, these increasingly spread and became more sophisticated" ...

SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/ancient-curse-of-dancer-deciphered.html

Artiste uses snake head to ward off curse

Source: Jamaica Star
Date: 6 March, 2020

While the average person would run at breakneck speed away from a rattlesnake, Safira Mono has no fear. For the past few years, the dancehall artiste and actress has been wearing the head of a snake around her neck for spiritual protection.

Pausing to kiss the mouth of the dead serpent, Safira Mono said that the reptile was instrumental in delivering her from a spell that she alleges had been cast by a fellow entertainer.

She said that the "doctors couldn't cure" her after she got sick and that she had to drink the venom of the snake in order to live.

"Yow! Is a artiste weh mi look up to, enuh, but after the female come near mi, mi head just raise big suh, and is like mi go inna one different space. Mi go on the stage, and mi couldn't sing. It was like mi tongue get heavy," she claimed.

http://jamaica-star.com/article/entertainment/20200306/artiste-uses-snake-head-ward-curse#gallery_1

A Japanese man has been arrested in Chiba Prefecture for attempting to put a curse on Vladimir Putin. And apparently he's not the first one to use the same doll technique ...
Man arrested over trying to place ‘curse’ on Vladimir Putin

Local police have arrested a 72-year-old man who was apparently trying to place a curse on Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Officers at Matsudo-Higashi Police Station announced on June 15 they arrested Mitsunobu Hino on suspicion of breaking and entering and damaging property.

Police said a straw doll was nailed to a sacred tree at Mikazukijinja shrine at about 2:10 p.m. on May 19.

The face of the doll had what looked like a photo of Putin’s face attached with the kanji character for bad luck written on its forehead. Hammering a nail into a straw doll is a traditional form of placing a curse on the individual the doll represents, akin to voodoo dolls. ...

Since mid-May, about 10 similar incidents have been discovered at various shrines in Matsudo and police are looking into any connections they may have with the latest case.
FULL STORY: https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14646427

I remember years ago I had a book on 'Curses', and if you wanted to put a curse on someone, you could bake a 'Curse Cake' but you had to have their nail clippings or hairs from their brush to bake inside the cake! LOL
It also gave hints on burning Black Candles to place a curse.
Wish I could find that book.

A cursed calendar?

This story was on the French Quora yesterday.
In response to "what is the most disturbing picture you have seen" someone posted about a photo in the 1991 Shell calendar.
As is tradition, the calendar featured Shell petrol (gas) stations at picturesque locations around the world.
One photo was of a Shell garage on Mauritius and featured lovely scenery, as you would expect.
What wasn't expected though was what appeared to be a semi-translucent skeleton, in a walking stance, on the left of the image.
The poster described his shock of realisation on recognising the apparent skull, ribs and limbs and that it gave him, and his colleagues he showed it to a very unwholesome feeling.
The calendar was published back in 1991 remember, so the photos would have been taken some time previously, presumably by a professional photographer, and effects tools like Photoshop had barely been launched back then. Furthermore, none of the other photos in the calendar had any unwelcome "easter eggs" like this, so why would a photographer jeopardise his contract with Shell by playing tricks like this? The poster said he didn't have a copy of the image, but if he could find one, he would post it on Quora. If so, I will reproduce it here to see if the consensus is pareidolia, double-exposure ... or just perhaps something a bit weirder.

A cursed calendar?

This story was on the French Quora yesterday.
In response to "what is the most disturbing picture you have seen" someone posted about a photo in the 1991 Shell calendar.
As is tradition, the calendar featured Shell petrol (gas) stations at picturesque locations around the world.
One photo was of a Shell garage on Mauritius and featured lovely scenery, as you would expect.
What wasn't expected though was what appeared to be a semi-translucent skeleton, in a walking stance, on the left of the image.
The poster described his shock of realisation on recognising the apparent skull, ribs and limbs and that it gave him, and his colleagues he showed it to a very unwholesome feeling.
The calendar was published back in 1991 remember, so the photos would have been taken some time previously, presumably by a professional photographer, and effects tools like Photoshop had barely been launched back then. Furthermore, none of the other photos in the calendar had any unwelcome "easter eggs" like this, so why would a photographer jeopardise his contract with Shell by playing tricks like this? The poster said he didn't have a copy of the image, but if he could find one, he would post it on Quora. If so, I will reproduce it here to see if the consensus is pareidolia, double-exposure ... or just perhaps something a bit weirder.
I'd love to see that. :wink2:

As I've mentioned before, possibly more than once -

My current home is known locally as the 'unlucky' house because the last few families living in it had awful bad luck.

The immediately previous owners lost the house when they suffered various disasters and couldn't pay the mortgage.

Things went wrong for my family too. It was like Eastenders for years.

One day during a spot of garden remodelling I came across a pair of scissors buried under a step, wide open, the points towards the back of the house.

Dug them out and binned them, if only because they were dirty nasty rusty rubbish, and I have to say things improved.

Me too! I tried Googling for Shell calendar 1991, but couldn't find anything online.
There are currently 3 Shell service stations around St Jean Rose Hill Mauritius, but all the photos of them are recent.
I too had a fruitless Google of it. :dunno:

Hadn't heard of the calendar before and had in fact previously assumed that all motoring trade-related calendars had a cheesecake theme.
You learn something new every day. :nods:

Medieval 'curse tablet' summoning Satan discovered at the bottom of a latrine in Germany

Archaeologists in Germany have discovered a rolled-up piece of lead that they think could be a medieval "curse tablet" that invokes "Beelzebub," or Satan.

Upon first glance, the researchers thought the "inconspicuous piece of metal" was simply scrap, since it was found at the bottom of a latrine at a construction site in Rostock, a city in northern Germany.

sRbtDEAdZxXEWqkAUM7VTW-1920-80.jpg.webp

However, once they unfurled it, archaeologists realized that the 15th-century artifact contained a cryptic message etched in Gothic minuscule that was barely visible to the naked eye. It read, "sathanas taleke belzebuk hinrik berith."

Researchers deciphered the text as a curse that was directed toward a woman named Taleke and a man named Hinrik (Heinrich) and summoned Beelzebub (another name for Satan) and Berith (a demonic spirit).

“Did someone want to break up Taleke and Heinrich's relationship? Was this about spurned love and jealousy, should someone be put out of the way?" the researchers asked in the statement.

https://www.livescience.com/archaeo...covered-at-the-bottom-of-a-latrine-in-germany

maximus otter

Last edited:
'Who would steal a saint’s heart? Loads of people stole relics back when they were wildly prized and valuable, but this heart-heist is startlingly modern, dating from 2012, when the heart of Saint Laurence O’Toole, patron saint of Dublin, was pinched from Christ Church, in the city. “It’s completely bizarre,” a spokesperson said. “They didn’t touch anything else.” The heart was returned six years later, in opaque circumstances; the Irish Examiner claimed the thieves thought the heart was “cursed” because people they knew kept having heart attacks.'

Shock of the old: nine shrivelled hearts to celebrate the day of love

Richard the Lionheart, Robert the Bruce, Queen Marie of Romania … a whole who’s who of historical figures have had their hearts removed after their death ~

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...hrivelled-hearts-to-celebrate-the-day-of-love

My wife is convinced she is cursed.
It started in 2019, we were walking home late at night from a concert, when out of nowhere a bike appeared, no lights, rider in black, hit her and broke four ribs. She was hospitalised for over a week.
Due to the x rays that she had taken, the hospital discovered that that she had some strange internal growths which necessitated another hospital stay to remove them.
The next thing to affect her was that she got shingles in her ears and went deaf, she now has to wear hearing aids.
She has fallen over a number of times either breaking more ribs or severely bruising her face which she has bashed off the pavement.
Last year, on holiday we were walking down the road when she fell over and smashed her hip and broke her arm and she is still suffering the side effects of this now.
Only last week she once again fell over, broke another rib and gave herself another black eye. Later that same evening she opened the fridge door and a carton of oat milk leapt off the top of the fridge and smacked into the other eye giving her 2 black eyes, she looked like a panda!
Every day is a worry as to what will happen next.

My wife is convinced she is cursed.
It started in 2019, we were walking home late at night from a concert, when out of nowhere a bike appeared, no lights, rider in black, hit her and broke four ribs. She was hospitalised for over a week.
Due to the x rays that she had taken, the hospital discovered that that she had some strange internal growths which necessitated another hospital stay to remove them.
The next thing to affect her was that she got shingles in her ears and went deaf, she now has to wear hearing aids.
She has fallen over a number of times either breaking more ribs or severely bruising her face which she has bashed off the pavement.
Last year, on holiday we were walking down the road when she fell over and smashed her hip and broke her arm and she is still suffering the side effects of this now.
Only last week she once again fell over, broke another rib and gave herself another black eye. Later that same evening she opened the fridge door and a carton of oat milk leapt off the top of the fridge and smacked into the other eye giving her 2 black eyes, she looked like a panda!
Every day is a worry as to what will happen next.
Crikey that’s a run of accidents/bad luck. I can only hope things improve for her, & soon.

Back