• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Different name

marl_ironbrave

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi there,

Do any of you here sometimes have trouble remembering someones name? And then really have the feeling that the name doesn't fit the person? Then it's usually worth asking the person if it's his real name, because it might very well not be. At least, that's my experience.

Anyone who recognizes this?

Marl

Nope.

But I know someone called Cat Stevens and another called Pearl Button. they're both real names. :D

I've never felt happy with my given name, but no-one's ever queried it!

And if they did, I wouldn't be able to say what my 'real' name is!

Once knew a guy for a while before I got around to finding out his name, which turned out to be Ed (short for Edwin). I was *sure* he was a Jonathan, not because he reminded me of one I already knew but because it suits him down to the ground.

one time at work i was trying to find a lady on our database who had rung us up to make an booking. she gave me her as Betty S- but for the life of me i couldnt find any record of her. when i told her this she suddenly exclaimed " oh sorry i forgot! my name is Mary S-. i said Betty cos thats what all friends call me! " :evil:

welcome to my world :gaga:

I have problems naming pets. I have this completely absurd feeling when I meet a new pet that it already has a name, and that my job is to discover it. My last rat was called Jasmine, and the name really did seem to 'belong' to her. Everything about her was 'Jasmine-like'. Now I have two new rats. One is called Squirrel (which fits her perfectly), but the other I had real trouble with. I ended up calling her Silver (after her silvery fur) but it just doesn't seem to suit her at all.

I suspect you're right and that animals (and people too) DO already have names, although they're probably sounds, rather than 'names'.

It's very frustrating, trying to arrive at the 'right' sound/name which does justice to the animal and to the spirit you know is in there. I've never achieved it, but fortunately they tolerate the silly names we bestow on them.

Hi, original poster again here

In my case it was a guy whose name I kept forgetting. It just felt very strange calling him by that name. So I asked a good friend of his if it was his real name. It was, said the friend, but he added that the guys father always called him differently. My guess is the guy was maybe more comfortable with the name his father used.

Marl

Only ever had this once, but the compulsion to call someone by the wrong name was incredibly strong.

We had a new receptionist at work, and even though her name was Anne I had the constant urge to call her Pat instead. It was such a problem that I had to explain to her up front that I was definitely going to call her Pat a few times and did (esp weird as I've only known one Pat and that was when I was a kid and this woman was nothing like her).

A year down the line I've semi got over it but she still seems more of a Pat than an Anne to me.

I meant to write about this for a while. The ting with me is that in the last 10-ish years 4 completely different people that didn't know me very well at all, have called me Monika.
1) A girl I met at Summer school, said I look like a Monika and refused to call me anything else as she said it "didn't suit me"
2) Another girl at University kept calling me Monika accidentally and said she can't remmeber my real name and I look like a Monika [also she came up with the name herself].
3) A boss of mine kept calling me Monika accidentally and said he doesn't know why [ I never mentioned the name].
4) A collegue at work had difficulties remembering my real name and keeps calling me Monika.

I find this highly amusing. Of course there is nothing "weird" about it in a fortean way but it does make me think.
I have to say that my normal name is of french origin, I have black hair but am of pallid complexion. So maybe that is an ideal mixture to come up with the name Monika, I don't know.
My synasthesia [slight] tells me that Monika is a dark name [i.e black or dark red] whereas my real name is definetly red.
What amuses me is that Monika isn't a common name in my age group, as a matter of fact I don't know anybody [not even celebrities] with that name that are my age [middleaged, leave it at that].
Anyway, the best thing is that people have never called me a different wrong name, its either they remember, tell me they don't or call me Monika.

Last but not least, my god-mother was called Monika. Ha.

When my younger sister was 8 or 9 she insisted on being called Rose..there is no one in the family of that name and she did not know anyone of that name either...she kept it up for about 6 months before she got bored and went back to her given name.

In the same vein my dog was called Charlotte but on more than one occasions friends referred to her as Sheeba because she "looked more like a Sheeba"

When I was at uni I lived with a girl called Lucy but kept calling her Lisa and eventually had to mentally say the phrase "juicy Lucy" before speaking to to ensure that I used the right name

And finally my parents were going to call me Samantha all through my mum's pregnancy but when I was in my crib in the hospital they decided that I did not look like a Samantha so called me something else instead.

Dingo667 said:
I meant to write about this for a while. The ting with me is that in the last 10-ish years 4 completely different people that didn't know me very well at all, have called me Monika.
1) A girl I met at Summer school, said I look like a Monika and refused to call me anything else as she said it "didn't suit me"
2) Another girl at University kept calling me Monika accidentally and said she can't remmeber my real name and I look like a Monika [also she came up with the name herself].
3) A boss of mine kept calling me Monika accidentally and said he doesn't know why [ I never mentioned the name].
4) A collegue at work had difficulties remembering my real name and keeps calling me Monika.

I find this highly amusing. Of course there is nothing "weird" about it in a fortean way but it does make me think.
:shock:
I find this highly Fortean!

Four different people, in different surroundings, all call you Monica?

Clearly, something about you is radiating 'Monica' signals!

(What that might be I have no idea, even though I did once have a french gf called Monique...)

Back