• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Disappearing magazines

lucydru

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Has anyone ever had there Fortean Times disappear?

In the past week I haven't been able to find a copy of the mag I needed anywhere! And this isn't the first time it has happened.
I can recall at least 3 times that a copy has gone missing that I wanted to read. Only for it to turn up later when I don't want to read it.

Am I the only one this has happened too?

lucydru

I haven't had any disappear in the way you describe, but I did make the mistake of lending a copy to somebody once. Never saw it again! He lent it to someone, etc........I think it's probably in Outer Mongolia by now. Some Yak herder is probably pissing himself laughing reading the sidelines.

;)

Hold it I just had a flash (well I just thought of a place I haven't looked). I think the mag I want in the the box files under my wardrobe. I better see if it is or not.

lucydru

They don't disappear as such, but do have a habit of distributing themselves around the house. I have, however, managed to locate every single one... from issues 81 to 150!

Well it hadn't disappeared ta all. I found it in a drawer in the kitchen while I was making my breakfast (although it had just turned mid-day).

The thing is I don't think it's the one I needed to find!

Must be some strange force (or people moving them and not telling me about it) at work keping it hidden from me.

lucydru

Try asking the fairies......

Alternatively, stop thinking about it. Chances are you'll remember where you put it whilst thinking about something completely different. Always works.

happens with monotonous regularity ... by which I mean you can bet that the issue that's missing is the one that you need.

Case in point ... just trying to trace the Amityville story that was queried in another thread and I couldn't find a single issue I needed.

Here's something weird: when I received my issue of the July FT, it was covered in some kind of sticky ooze. I couldn't read it! It was disgusting. The weird thing is that the "protective" plastic bag it comes in (I really prefer a brown bag but nevermind) was completely sealed!! I contacted my supplier and hollared blue blazes and they were very nice about replacing it. One of them even often a suggestion that it might be "ecotplasm"....an interesting theory. Better than the spooge one my husband thought of. :rolleyes:

Pinning the devil

My version of pinning the devil is thus-when I am in the final hysterical stages of looking for something I get a cushion and a pin and I will thrust the pin into the centre of the cushion whilst saying 'devil get behind me'. I then usually find the object. However, I don't believe supernatural forces are involved. The whole process just calms me down and helps me look in a more rational way and the object does not turn up immediately, maybe minutes or hours after......in fact why do I do it???????;)

Re: Pinning the devil

Blueswidow said:
...I will thrust the pin into the centre of the cushion whilst saying 'devil get behind me'.

The whole process just calms me down and helps me look in a more rational way...

Rational? Really? :p ;)

I was taught just to stop and calmly reflect, y'know, mentally re-trace my path, and so on. Often worked for me. Nowadays, I'm getting like Bill Bryson, who recounts in one of his books the phenomenon of entering a room to find something only to forget what it was he had come for. The physical re-tracing of his path used to yield the memory of the item, but as he's gotten older, he said, he can't even remember where he's just come from.

Back