• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

DIY Cruise Missiles

A

Anonymous

A New Zealand man says he is building a cruise missile in his garage with parts bought on the internet - for less than $5,000.
Internet developer Bruce Simpson, 49, says on his website that the aim of the project is make governments aware how easy it would be for terrorists to build a low-cost missile - not to provide the instructions.

He also insists that the national air force would have no means of stopping such a missile.

There has been no official comment so far from senior defence or police officials in New Zealand.

According to the website, Mr Simpson purchased a GPS development system for the project for $120 through online auctioneers eBay.

"This provided me with a GPS receiver, antenna, computer interface and the software needed to interface with a flight-control computer.

"The product was delivered by international airmail in less than a week and passed through customs without any problems."

'No rocket scientist'

Mr Simpson told Radio New Zealand the low cost cruise missile was "like a small aircraft powered by a jet engine", and that he expected to have it flying by the end of the month.

Of the 15 stages of development, the initial procurement of materials is the only one completed on his website diary.

He said he went ahead with the project after visitors to his site challenged his claims that it could be done.

"You don't have to be a rocket scientist to build one", he was quoted as saying by the New Zealand Herald.

The paper also said neighbours did not appear to be aware that Mr Simpson had turned his attentions to missiles, although they did know he was testing pulse jets in his shed, north-west of Auckland.

A police spokeswoman declined to comment on whether the project was being investigated, but said they were now aware of the situation.

"It's not something we recommend people try at home," spokeswoman Rebecca Holt told The Associated Press news agency.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/2960218.stm

I found the chap's website.

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/cruise.shtml

Having seen some of the things people build in their sheds, I'm only surprised no-one has tried to use a large model aircraft packed with explosive as a terror weapon already (or maybe they have).

I think his major problem is going to be getting the guidance system to work properly, the pulse jet is a fairly basic piece of kit and well within the capabilities of a model aircraft builder (they've been building small ones for years).

And looking at this chap's website he's been building some fairly big engines already.

I have plenty of books with detailed descriptions of the inner workings of the German V1. The Tomahawk is basically just an upgraded version of that.

What are you doing in New Zealand?

I noticed that both the chap who's building the cruise missile and the one who built the jet-powered beer cooler are from New Zealand.

Is there some sort of backyard secret weapons program going on there?

Timble said:
Having seen some of the things people build in their sheds, I'm only surprised no-one has tried to use a large model aircraft packed with explosive as a terror weapon already (or maybe they have).

In northern Ireland the security forces used frequency washers... basicly sent out all sorts of signals which definately messed up all model aircraft cominications in a wide area, as the IRA used remote controls from model aircraft in bombs.

Re: What are you doing in New Zealand?

Timble said:
Is there some sort of backyard secret weapons program going on there?

it amazeing what bordom can do to u ah!

Inverurie Jones said:
I have plenty of books with detailed descriptions of the inner workings of the German V1. The Tomahawk is basically just an upgraded version of that.

well yesish..but upgraded to have guidance (other than an unreliable magentic compas (( getting them to work entailed hitting the thing with big wooden hammers on the launching slip)) ) and targeting that is more sofisticated than just fuel payload.... other than that i think Tomahawks deliver the same amount of explosives (500lbs)

not as acurate tho...and terribly noisey...u'd wake the neigbours

Wake her??? Ha! I'll bloody test fire it at the old bag!

It would probably be difficult to pack a significantly spectacular payload.

Timble said:
Course, there are those who believe that it's already been tried with full-sized airliners packed with people..:rolleyes:

Course, there are those who believe that it's already been tried with full-sized airliners packed with people..
In certain ways -- that was a form of 'remote control'.

He also insists that the national air force would have no means of stopping such a missile.

Some how I can't imagine that the NZ airforce represents too formidable a challenge. (Visions of Wal Footrot in a rattley old crop duster)

Actually my first reaction was: NZ has an airforce! Nah, they're kidding.

None of these systems would be required for an LCCM. A simple launch attachment could be fitted to the roof of an SUV or truck that would allow the takeoff speed of around 70mph to be achieved. At that point the engine could be ignited and the craft released.

This is why I love Kiwis and Ozzies so much, they're all bloody mental! :D

Physick said:
Some how I can't imagine that the NZ airforce represents too formidable a challenge.

If you look at the badge of the RNZAF here I think that tells you all you need to know about its air power

If you spot a cruise missile in time you can stop them with small arms fire...they are like aircraft, but slower and they don't dodge.

IIRC, during the first Gulf war, the flight paths of the missiles was so well known that AAA was set up along route to shoot them down.

After their perfomance this time, I'm surprised that anyone knew their flightpath...:D

Back