• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Does Sleeping Makes Us Un-Psychic?

AnomalousMind

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Okay, so we all know that things sleep.
Scientists aren't particularly baffled why, since they just apply the idea that in our sleep we process the data we have seen that day so we don't go all postal on people.

But if you think about it, when people faint when they get very scared, their minds are processing the information of what they have just seen. So logically speaking, we process information to get over things that set off our emotions to a peak.

Could it be, that the reason we don't use most of half of our brain when we're conscious, is because it's already processing information that we can't really see/take in consciouslly? And it's been doing that for millions of years?
Because if we took it in consciously, the information wouldn't make sense e.g. supernatural stuff.
That could explain why babies and children 'see things' more than normal people, as they don't know how to process the information.

Perhaps that's why people rationalise the things they've seen, as it's supposed to be sub-conscious and is accidentally taken in consciously?
After all, we've all seen something at least once at some point, so it could be an error in our mental defence system.

In other words, everyone can see supernatural things going on, except it just doesn't register most of the time. So when we don't sleep we're able to see what really is happening in the world.

Just a random idea...Any ideas Fortean folks, freaks and frog-men?

If you don't sleep for a while then you're more likely to suffer hallucinations, waking dreams if you like, but whether that means the weird stuff you see and hear when in this state is actually paranormal is a moot point.

Plenty of wide awake adults have had strange experiences, although maybe they notice it more at night, i.e. being woken up at three in the morning to see a ghost at the foot of your bed. Sleep could be a factor, but then so could magnetic fields or whatever. I don't think you can pin this down so easily.

yeah

Thats a good theory. Last night for example (and this is true) I dreamed a woman designed me a nice pair of moon and star black curtains for a show and then promptly turned herself into a golden living statue of Baphomet and I'm pretty damn sure that didn't happen during my day as it was spent trudging along Lincolns cycle path, the sun beating down on my exhausted body, with my son and my worn out little pooch, and my disaffected teenage daughter who couldn't believe I was walking that slow!!! Gah..
So if I dreamed it and I'm processing info of things that happened through the day.. when did Baphomet design me some nice curtains...?

Yea...let the veil be drawn eh?

I can vouch for going loopy with lack of sleep; if I stay up too late when i'm tired I find I'm very paranoid, although I always manage to convince myself I'm just in need of a rest. It makes you realize how horrible it must be to be tortured by being deprived of sleep. I can well believe that people have some very odd experiences when they haven't had enough shuteye.

On the other hand; did anyone watch that documentary about the guy with "precognitive" dreams on Ch5 a couple of weeks ago (not so sure about that myself)? He mentioned that he had more of these dreams if he got to bed before 10pm.

It's only happened a handful of times but I've had the most marvellous transcendent sleeps and all have been in the afternoon. You wake up like you've gone in for a complete service, ecstatic, awe struck at the universe, very low heart rate, filled with wonder.
The feeling leaves in a few moments and you're desperate to hang onto it as though nothing else matters. It's a mixture of privilege and being bereft afterwards. Impossible to describe. I don't believe wakefulness is the only realm of psychic response.

Back