• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dr Who fans go psychic

darrg

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've been reading on a cult TV forum (Roobarb's, URL below) that some of the more extreme Dr Who fans out there are considering approaching a psychic to see if s/he could provide any clues as to the whereabout of missing episodes of the series.

I mention this and pass along without comment ... :shock:

http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=9431

Just when you thought they couldn't get any more desperate... They'll be contacting the shade of William Hartnell next.

Or in the fridge for the Ice Warriors, and behind the sofa for the Daleks :).

im so glad (i think) that i have found a reason why (for example "the trial of the doctor") when i have got home and switched on doctor who,only to find that a new episode has started without the above mentioned one having finished,that i havent time slipped.
does anyone have a list of the episodes that are missing there conclusion?

wombat103 said:
im so glad (i think) that i have found a reason why (for example "the trial of the doctor") when i have got home and switched on doctor who,only to find that a new episode has started without the above mentioned one having finished,that i havent time slipped.
If you're in Australia, they have been showing two episodes a night back to back over the summer break. And at one point they took to showing them on Fridays, but then stopped, but may have gone back.

So maybe that's it.

The episodes that are missing are not from the later series (such as Trial of a Time Lord), but are from back around the Hartnell/Troughton/Pertwee era, due to the fire in the BBC archives that wiped a lot of stuff out.

that will teach me to look at the tv program rather than just assume :oops:
thankyou for clearing that one up for me.... :oops:

Anome_ said:
wombat103 said:
If you're in Australia, they have been showing two episodes a night back to back over the summer break. And at one point they took to showing them on Fridays, but then stopped, but may have gone back.

So maybe that's it.

The episodes that are missing are not from the later series (such as Trial of a Time Lord), but are from back around the Hartnell/Troughton/Pertwee era, due to the fire in the BBC archives that wiped a lot of stuff out.

Ahh yes the great BBC fire took care of a lot of things...

:(

Anome_ said:

There are no missing episodes from Pertweee - there are one or two that are in black and white only but they all exist. There was no fire it was deliberate policy to throw things away to make room. This is old no one will want to watch it or this is in black and white we now have colour no one will wnat to watch it. Before things were thrown away the producer was informed and they had a veto so the early '70's producers all gave permission to throw things away.
http://unlimitedricepudding.com/MissingWhoList.html
Doctor Who Missing Episode List

William Hartnell

(Note that up until The Savages, none of the Hartnell stories had the overall title and "Episode No" as each episode had its own title.)

Serial D - Marco Polo

(Sold overseas as "Doctor Who and a Journey to Cathay.)

Episode 1 - The Roof of the World
Episode 2 - The Singing Sands
Episode 3 - Five Hundred Eyes
Episode 4 - The Wall of Lies
Episode 5 - Rider From Shang-Tu
Episode 6 - Mighty Kublai Khan
Episode 7 - Assassin at Peking

Serial H - The Reign Of Terror

Episode 4 - The Tyrant of France
Episode 5 - A Bargain of Necessity

Serial P - The Crusades

Episode 2 - The Knight of Jaffa
Episode 4 - The War Lords

Serial T - Galaxy 4

Epsiode 1 - Four Hundred Dawns
Episode 2 - Trap of Steel
Epsiode 3 - Airlock
Episode 4 - The Exploding Planet

Serial T/A Mission to the Unknown

Episode 1 - Mission to the Unknown

Serial U - The Myth Makers

Episode 1 - Temple of Secrets
Episode 2 - Small Prophet, Quick Return
Episode 3 - Death of a Spy
Episode 4 - Horse of Destruction

Serial V - The Daleks' Masterplan

Episode 1 - The Nightmare Begins
Episode 3 - Devil's Planet
Episode 4 - The Traitors
Epsiode 6 - Coronas of the Sun
Epsiode 7 - The Feast of Steven
Episode 8 - Volcano
Episode 9 - Golden Death
Episode 11 - The Abandoned Planet
Episode 12 - Destruction of Time

Serial W - The Massacre

Episode 1 - War of God
Episode 2 - The Sea Beggar
Epsiode 3 - Priest of Death
Episode 4 - Bell of Doom

Serial Y - The Celestial Toymaker

Episode 1 - The Celestial Toyroom
Episode 2 - The Hall of Dolls
Episode 3 - The Dancing Floor

Serial AA - The Savages

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4

Serial CC - The Smugglers

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4

Serial DD - The Tenth Planet

Episode 4

Patrick Troughton

Serial EE - The Power of the Daleks

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6

Serial FF - The Highlanders

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4

Serial GG - The Underwater Menace

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 4

Serial HH - The Moonbase

Episode 1
Episode 3

Serial JJ - The Macra Terror

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4

Serial KK - The Faceless Ones

Episode 2
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6

Serial LL - The Evil of the Daleks

Episode 1
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7

Serial NN - The Abominable Snowmen

Episode 1
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6

Serial OO - The Ice Warriors

Episode 2
Episode 3

Serial PP - The Enemy of the World

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6

Serial QQ - The Web of Fear

Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6

Serial RR - Fury From the Deep

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6

Serial SS - The Wheel in Space

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 4
Episode 5

Serial VV - The Invasion

Episode 1
Episode 4

Serial YY - The Space Pirates

Episode 1
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6

Jon Pertwee

Although all of Jon Pertwees stories exist in one format or another, a number only exist in black and white, although all were filmed in colour.

Serial CCC - The Ambassadors of Death. Better quality colour copies needed of Episodes 2-7.

Serial FFF - The Mind of Evil. Colour copies needed of all six Episodes.

Serial SSS - The Planet of the Daleks. Colour copy needed of Episode 3.

Serial WWW - Invasion of the Dinosaurs. Colour copy needed of Episode 1 (on screen title; "Invasion").

That makes 108 missing episodes, all episodes exist as off air audio recordings and a number have telesnaps assoicated with - basically off air photos of every scene recorded as examples of a directors work.

Gordon

I was under the impression it was a fire in the BBC archives which also led to episodes from a number of other shows (Not Only...But Also for example) being lost, as well as the BBC's coverage of the Moon landing. Then again, I'm not sure where I got this idea from, so it's probably unreliable.

Until the latest series of repeats, it wasn't clear that all the pre-Jo Grant Pertwee episodes were still around. They usually started with Spearhead from Space and then jumped to Terror of the Autons. (Which was a bit confusing, to be honest, not to mention a great shame as Liz Shaw was a much more interesting character.)

Anome_ said:
I was under the impression it was a fire in the BBC archives which also led to episodes from a number of other shows (Not Only...But Also for example) being lost, as well as the BBC's coverage of the Moon landing. Then again, I'm not sure where I got this idea from, so it's probably unreliable.

Until the latest series of repeats, it wasn't clear that all the pre-Jo Grant Pertwee episodes were still around. They usually started with Spearhead from Space and then jumped to Terror of the Autons. (Which was a bit confusing, to be honest, not to mention a great shame as Liz Shaw was a much more interesting character.)

Nope no fire, just what we now regard as lack of foresight.

What a strange statement your last one is. Until the latest series of repeats etc. Firstly - what series of repeats? There are lots of tv channels out there and in the past BSB and UK Gold have shown all the colour episodes at one time or another, and BSB ended broadcasting in 1990. Secondly there have been many list on the go for many years showing what exists and thirdly - all the stuff has been released on video - the last Liz Shaw story was in 2002 althoufh all except this one were available prior to 1994.

Gordon

Repeats on the ABC in Australia, as referenced in my earlier post. Currently into late Colin Baker, unless Sylvester McCoy has cropped up recently. (Stopped paying attention during the Peter Davison run, just like I did the first time.)

For a long time, the ABC would run Doctor Who and The Goodies in some order from 6pm on weeknights. (Except for when they ran Monkey in that slot.) As this meant they would run through the current series of Doctor Who in about 6 weeks, they'd pad it out by showing a lot of reruns. Usually this meant going back to Spearhead from Space and starting from there then running through until they ran out of episodes or the new series was available. Due to whatever issues they had with the other Liz Shaw stories, they usually ran that and maybe one other before showing the Jo Grant episodes, starting with Terror of the Autons. This most recent run, however - after a hiatus of several years - they went all the way back to An Unearthly Child and have shown as many of the stories as were available (the rights issue with the Nation estate over the use of Daleks seemed to have some impact on it).

Of course, earlier in the year they also showed the new series with Christopher Ecclestone, although in the "once a week" format as intended. Which meant we were getting 3 hours of Doctor Who a week on free to air television.

[EDIT] As for the availability on tape (or DVD) - the release schedules in Australia are different to those in the UK, and there were not a lot of stories available on tape. And I never really got involved with ADWAS (Australian Doctor Who Appreciation Society) or other fan groups, so I wasn't actively chasing this sort of thing up.

Anome_ said:
Repeats on the ABC in Australia, as referenced in my earlier post.

As for the availability on tape (or DVD) - the release schedules in Australia are different to those in the UK, and there were not a lot of stories available on tape. And I never really got involved with ADWAS (Australian Doctor Who Appreciation Society) or other fan groups, so I wasn't actively chasing this sort of thing up.

To be fair you quoted info about Australian broadcasts you never actually said these were what you were watching! Can't assume anything.

The release schedules in Oz are genereally two or three months after the UK releases, here are the Australian release dates for the stories in question:

Spearhead from Space 1990
Silurians 1993
Ambassadors of Death 2003
Inferno 1994

As can be seen all available very early on with the exception of Ambassadors which had to wait as it was available only as a black and white copy until technical jiggery pokery added the colour signal from an American NTSC copy to the BW archive copy held at the Beeb.

Gordon

Just on the 'great BBC fire thing, I'm sure there were media reports - from talk shows aired, here in Australia, on television of the fire- concerned with damaged archives (including Dr. Who episodes).

Either I've got my very own false memory, or someone's pulling legs, or indeed there's a cover story

:)

No fire.

From the BBC home page

"There are several reasons why programmes from the past have been lost. They affect all broadcasters from that time.

Forty years ago, few people foresaw the long term cultural and historical value of television and radio programmes - or their commercial potential. The future significance of popular culture such as comedy or pop music was particularly underestimated.

Right up until the 1970s, many television and radio broadcasts frequently went out live and unrecorded. For years the only television recording technology was film, and filming was too expensive just to keep programmes in the vaults.

Video tape was introduced in the mid-1960s, but was still vastly more expensive than today’s cheap home technology. It wasn’t seen as a permanent store for television programmes. But the tapes could be used again to make other programmes - and many were.

Sometimes only samples or extracts of radio programmes were kept.

Sometimes programmes were heavily restricted by copyright and rights considerations. Such programmes could not be repeated. They were thought to have no further use and often not kept. But the BBC would now be willing to re-negotiate those rights, or to preserve the programmes for the social history value alone. "

There was a warning from fire safety inspectors about the way film etc was stored and the fact was this could lead to a fire but it never did.

Gordon

Nitrous film?

But `Who` was sold to over 50 countries, its likley that some of the lost eos have survived.

But `Who` was sold to over 50 countries, its likley that some of the lost eos have survived.

Be very careful ... if you start thinking like that, in twenty years' time you'll be trying to get psychics in to find them! :)

What we need is some kind of machine that can travel back through time to retrieve the episodes. If only we knew someone who had one!

Never fear - help is at hand! Word is, our favourite medium Derek Acorah is going to appear in the lastest series of Dr. Who.

"What's that, Sam? Shameless self-promotion?"

...and then Derek produces "Fury from the Deep" from beneath his robes.

Hmm, now there's a euphemism, if ever I heard one ... :)

If you're the Paul Lee who wrote the excellent feature about missing Who episodes, you're almost entirely responsible for getting me back into Who a few years back after twenty years in the wilderness. Such are the joys of the worldwideweb. Not entirely sure whether that's something I should thank you for or not, though ....

But of course, as any fule conspiracy theorist kno, all the missing episodes are secreted in the collections of the "big name fans" who deserve a thread on the (spurious) Conspiracies board all to themselves (I was a cohort of Simon Lydiard's on the Skaro fanzine in 1982, so I have to stick up for a good conspiracy theory!). Some of them not averse to a bit of fury from the deep themselves if we're to take them at their reputations ;)

darrg said:
Hmm, now there's a euphemism, if ever I heard one ... :)

If you're the Paul Lee who wrote the excellent feature about missing Who episodes, you're almost entirely responsible for getting me back into Who a few years back after twenty years in the wilderness. Such are the joys of the worldwideweb. Not entirely sure whether that's something I should thank you for or not, though ....

Yes, 'tis I

[/quote]

But of course, as any fule conspiracy theorist kno, all the missing episodes are secreted in the collections of the "big name fans" who deserve a thread on the (spurious) Conspiracies board all to themselves (I was a cohort of Simon Lydiard's on the Skaro fanzine in 1982, so I have to stick up for a good conspiracy theory!). Some of them not averse to a bit of fury from the deep themselves if we're to take them at their reputations ;)[/quote]

I got an email from Simon a year or two back. He said that his editorial in Skaro c.1983 was all a ploy to bring episodes out into the open. He rattled a few cages, including Ian Levine who pestered Simon and made himself a nuisance.

No changes there then.

e said that his editorial in Skaro c.1983 was all a ploy to bring episodes out into the open.
That sounds about right. I remember him being very non-committal at the time - but then he also said that the only story never likely to be recovered was "Tomb of the Cybermen" !

Back