• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Drugs: Creative Aid Or Hindrance?

Edward said:
What is being implied is that a drug, not Carroll's fertile imagination was responsible for these creative literary works.

no, the "fertile imagination" and the whole sum of a persons experiences are responsible for these creative literary works.

I have also read that Lewis Carroll was a user of cannabis .. any ofher people read this?

sidecar_jon said:
it simply isn't necessary to take opium or anything else to come up with Bazaar or strange or disturbing images.. are all the FX engineers on it?..was Tokien on it?..

I am not saying it is NECESSARY, just that if a person is to take a chemical that alters the sate of consciousness, then they are likely to experience something other than everyday consensus reality.

RE:Addiction.

As to what percentage do you think that the whole human is addicted to ::something:: Tea,Coffie,Red Bull,Asprin,--going to Cocaine,Herion,Speed and if you like AIR (trying doing without that and we take it for granted).
Bill ;0)

decadnids said:
I am not saying it is NECESSARY, just that if a person is to take a chemical that alters the sate of consciousness, then they are likely to experience something other than everyday consensus reality.

Go and contract malaria, it has a similar effect and is cheaper. Reality is quite weird enough. Only those with limited mental powers require drugs.

Inverurie Jones said:
Go and contract malaria, it has a similar effect and is cheaper. Reality is quite weird enough. Only those with limited mental powers require drugs.

drug use is based in reality, to think that it is some how outside reality is a misunderstanding of the effects of drugs.

yes malaria does cause altered states of consciousness.

"only thise with limited mental powers require drugs"

well, what I am trying to get across is the fact that "taking a drug" will give you an experience. that experience can (and can not ) aid creativity, I am not talking about someone who "NEEDS" to take that drug to be creative.

Inverurie Jones have you had first had experience of drug use?
or malaria?

I don't like things messing with my perception. I won't voluntarily get drunk. Anyway, drug use is not allowed in HM forces, and the RN would not look kindly upon it. Apart from that, drug use is, frankly, nothing more than a pastime fit only for losers. The only reason to pursue such experiences is a lack of worthwhile real experience. I have far better things to do with my time and money.
I'm not exactly a stranger to the odd fever, but I wouldn't wish to replicate the effects.

It boils down to this:

Take a chance to fly fighters for a living and see most of the world while being paid a good wage for the privilege, or sit in a dirty flat popping pills to see some pretty colours? Let me think...:rolleyes:

Inverurie Jones said:
I don't like things messing with my perception. I won't voluntarily get drunk.
You're probably very wise to steer well clear of any mind altering substances, IJ. Somehow, I don't think they'd agree with you.

Inverurie Jones said:
The only reason to pursue such experiences is a lack of worthwhile real experience. I have far better things to do with my time and money.

Yeah, "different strokes for different folks" although I do find your view extremly narrow minded.

I would have to disagree regarding "real" experiences, as everything that occurs is "real". altered states of consciousness are real.

AndroMan said:
You're probably very wise to steer well clear of any mind altering substances, IJ. Somehow, I don't think they'd agree with you.

Booze makes me either depressed (gin) or very, very horny (everything else) and inclined to sing, which I'm not very good at.

Inverurie Jones said:
Take a chance to fly fighters for a living and see most of the world while being paid a good wage for the privilege, or sit in a dirty flat popping pills to see some pretty colours? Let me think...:rolleyes:

yes because thats what "everyone" does if they have ever "tried" a substance that is called "drugs" - they become hopeless and addicts and sit about and do nothing. yes ofcourse....

Either that or they become tedious New Agers whittering on about 'expanding the mind'.

Inverurie Jones said:
Either that or they become tedious New Agers whittering on about 'expanding the mind'.

quite, nothing like stereotypes, imagine, if we didnt have them, where would we be today?

Take a chance to fly fighters for a living and see most of the world while being paid a good wage for the privilege, or sit in a dirty flat popping pills to see some pretty colours? Let me think..

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/01/17/1042520778665.html

Air force rushes to defend amphetamine use - January 18 2003
As a hearing investigating two American fliers who bombed Canadian forces in Afghanistan entered a third day on Thursday, the air force summoned reporters to hear a pilot-surgeon extol the virtues of the practice of prescribing amphetamines for tired pilots.
Colonel Demitry insisted that the drug Dexedrine - called "go pills" by pilots - "has never been associated with a proven adverse outcome in a military operation. This is a common, legal, ethical, moral and correct application."
The stimulants, first dispensed to pilots during World War II, were taken voluntarily, he said. "At 30,000 feet in the middle of the dark sky, as a fighter pilot, no one is going to make me swallow a pill." The air force practice should not be compared to commercial airline policies that ban pilot use of amphetamines, he said. "In combat operations when you're strapped to an ejection seat, you don't have the luxury to pull over. There are no other options."

IJ - Looks like you can do both if you're American;)

drug takeing in the military has along and (ig)noble history..from the Beserkas munching majic mushrooms and raindeer piss, tho the thousands of Morphine adicted American Civil war veterans, alcoholic Officers in WW2 (a friends comanding officer drank two bottles of whisky a day for two weeks at one point in Italy)... though speed and caffeen laced chocs of Luftwafer pilots and Katen/kamakazi "warriors".... speeding fighter pilots takeing shots of brandy over Berlin, night vision enhanceing pills in Vietnam and im sure now in Iraq.... however War isnt usualy considered a "crative act" and its participants are meer tools.

Good point Sidecar.

Drugs, like most things are used in all levels of society and across all industries and services by all ages, all races and genders.

They do have positive effects as well as negative ones. If you don't want to take them don't but its a very narrow minded position to tar all drug users as 'useless wasters' or 'New Age bores', it's just not the truth.

Edward said:
If you don't want to take them don't but its a very narrow minded position to tar all drug users as 'useless wasters' or 'New Age bores', it's just not the truth.
Quite.

After all, look at Dennis Hopper's character, 'Frank Booth,' in David Lynch's 'Blue Velvet' (1986), sniffing nitrous oxide and committing acts of sadistic violence for the thrill.

Many "raving psychopaths", eg. Charles Manson, get their jollies out of drugs, too. :D

True ;)

Raving Psychopaths...Presidents of the United States....Royal Families...Rock Stars...Religious Leaders....

Edward said:
True ;)

Raving Psychopaths...Presidents of the United States....Royal Families...Rock Stars...Religious Leaders....

indeed but an awful lot of new age bores and wasters too lol.

decadnids said:
obviously from the point of view of someone who has no experience in the use of drugs.

Ooh! Well maybe I'd better take some then and I'll discover that really it's cool and I'll be a hip cat.

With IJ all the way on this one.

MCAvennie/IJ

Can you explain your stance?

I'm just trying to understand, because i'm very much of the opposing view and don't understand, unless of course someone hasn't seen past the stereotypes and media hype.

Just interested.

McAvennie said:
Ooh! Well maybe I'd better take some then and I'll discover that really it's cool and I'll be a hip cat.
You just stick to the Guinness, McA. ;)

Drugs are either for people who don't care that they will never be worth anything, or for people are relatively (only relatively) intelligent but too lazy to make anything of themselves and so convince themselves that they are in some way breaking new ground when they are really just boring wasters with no life and no ambition.
Of course, they can often be a toy for stupid people with more money than they deserve, ie. sportsmen and musicians.

At any rate, they are simply a cop out for those without the brains or the guts to face reality.

Inverurie Jones said:
Drugs are either for people who don't care that they will never be worth anything, or for people are relatively (only relatively) intelligent but too lazy to make anything of themselves and so convince themselves that they are in some way breaking new ground when they are really just boring wasters with no life and no ambition.
Of course, they can often be a toy for stupid people with more money than they deserve, ie. sportsmen and musicians.

At any rate, they are simply a cop out for those without the brains or the guts to face reality.

Its amazing that people can be so "pig ignorant" - You might as well go and read the SUN, or the Mirror - or do you do that already?

so this statement explains::

http://www.soveriegn.freeservers.com/drugs.htm

obviously the people in this list (containing: Albert Hoffman; Thomas Jefferson; Edgar Allen Poe; Plotinus

never really amounted to much.

My personal view on this is that, taking drugs or anthing else (food, air, water etc) is part of reality, so taking a drug that alters your perception and states of consciousness does not "take you out of reality" - as it and you and everything else is a part of that self same reality.

decadnids said:
Its amazing that people can be so "pig ignorant" - You might as well go and read the SUN, or the Mirror - or do you do that already?

probably not the Sun or Mirror, probably the Daily Mail (The home of ignorant opinions). ;)

Ha! Lectured on 'pig ignorance' by the likes of you! Oh! Cut to the quick, I really am! :rofl: When I consider your opinions to be anything more than the immature leftover of pointless teenaged rebellion, I'll maybe care what you think of me, but until then, I don't think I'll waste the effort.

Please - enough of the pettiness. Any more crud and this is being locked.

point taken Schnor. :)

IJ, would you agree with the following statement:

"For some people, taking recreational drugs can and has lead to positive life experiences"

I think the majority who "indulge" certainly don't do it to improve their creativity!. Maybe a few can get away with it, but most can't. One of my eldest's chums is now a bloody wreck because of it. Come down here to my town and see the young girls on the game trying to get the money for there habit. The yobs nicking everything in sight, mugging, burgleries, nothing but trouble. I could quite happily bury the f*cking dealers at low tide and watch , for all the misery they cause. Kids, and by that I mean nearly anyone under 25!, do not know how to handle drink and drugs, sweeping statement but in my expirience of them, true!

schnor said:
Please - enough of the pettiness. Any more crud and this is being locked.

sorry -

IJ
When I consider your opinions to be anything more than the immature leftover of pointless teenaged rebellion, I'll maybe care what you think of me, but until then, I don't think I'll waste the effort.

your opinions on this seem to be very much based on "stereo types"

You probably imagine me as a disillusioned drug addict, sitting in a musty basement offering my "fortunes" for crack.

I admit to have taken (in the past) various substances, and have seen many people get trapped in the "druggy" culture - but I do not see everyone who has an interest in "drug use" to be of the same ilk - just like I dont stereotype people who happen to be in the "armed forces". Lucky for me I have experience of the armed forces, and the way of life.

I've never been involved in a teenage rebellion.

sorry for any "petty" jibing on my part ,

Some folk need to take a lesson in economics, particularly supply and demand.

Drug dealers are not the problem, that's like blaming landlords or Threshers for alchoholism.

Back