• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dutch keep getting higher...

filcee

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Thursday July 22, 09:34 AM

Dutch just keep growing

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The Dutch, already the tallest people on the planet, are still growing in height while also packing on the pounds.

The market research organisation GfK said on Thursday that data collected over the last seven years showed increasing demand for larger clothing sizes in the Netherlands, where the average man is about 185 cm (6 foot 1 inch) tall.

"The Dutch are growing," said GfK spokesman Koen Snoeren.

The Dutch are nearly 10 cm (four inches) taller on average than the British and Americans, and almost 15 cm (six inches) taller than they were four decades ago.

GfK's analysis supports recent studies, including one for the Pan American Health Organisation, that ranks the Dutch as the tallest people on the planet.

Fogel and other researchers put it down to affluence, a diet rich in dairy products, and good hygiene and health care.

Studies by the Health Council of the Netherlands suggest the Dutch could grow another 10 cm (four inches) in the next few decades. But some data, including GfK's, also suggest junk food is limiting the health advantages that wealth has brought.

Nearly half of the population are overweight, and the council says that in a decade it could be two-thirds, around the level of the United States.

Original Yahoo storyhere

Yeah, I'm 6ft 5ins, and I used to live in the Netherlands. Everyone thought I was a Dutchman. I wasn't much over the average height there. But when I went to Morocco, everyone thought I was a giant. :)

Big Bill Robinson

Well, obviously they have to try harder because they start from lower down than the rest of us
(ducks and runs)

The chap who runs the Dutch branch of the company I work for is basketball-player height. Come to think of it, one my last visit to Amsterdam, I did notice that the toilet seats were higher than what I was used to . . .

. . . Is it something in the air in Holland, or Amstel beer, perhaps?

Why should one set of people be taller than others? It's often puzzled me - why the tall Masai and the little Bushmen?

Carole

Back