• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dwarka / Dvaraka (Underwater Ruins (?); India)

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reports of the underwater ruins of Dwarka, in the Gulf of Cambay off the west coast of India, crop up regularly on Quora.

Some very implausible claims are made for this "Indian Atlantis". These are often associated with Hindu nationalism, speculating that the semi-mythical city of Lord Krishna is the oldest city on Earth and may be up to 32,000 years old.
More sober, but still historically questionable claims put the ruins at 9 to 11 thousand years old (so roughly contemporaneous with sites like Lepenski Vir and Göbekli Tepe).

With my usual Fortean interest in extreme pre-history, I did a little digging (or perhaps diving would be more appropriate) into the whole Dwarka mythos.
Unfortunately, rather like Yonaguni, the Azores "Pyramids" and the Baltic sea "anomaly", it is very difficult to separate genuine photographs of the site from obvious fakes - either heavily photoshopped or photos of Hellenistic or Egyptian artefacts misrepresented as ancient Indian.

The following 4 appear often, but are definitely NOT authentic photos of the Dwarka ruins:

dwarka.JPG

There are, however, some plausible pics of apparently artificial structures, including walls, pillars and stone anchors, some 70 feet below current sea level in the vicinity:

dwarka2.JPG

Dwarka3.JPG

Dwarka4.JPG

Dwarka5.JPG

Dwarka6.JPG

Investigations into the site are ongoing and I look forward to any substantiated news about this.

What do you think?

https://www.quora.com/Are-there-any-authentic-underwater-pictures-of-Dwarka

https://www.flynote.com/blog/dwarka-holiest-underwater-city-of-india-dwarka/

Last edited:
Reports of the underwater ruins of Dwarka, in the Gulf of Cambay off the west coast of India, crop up regularly on Quora.

Some very implausible claims are made for this "Indian Atlantis". These are often associated with Hindu nationalism, speculating that the semi-mythical city of Lord Krishna is the oldest city on Earth and may be up to 32,000 years old.
More sober, but still historically questionable claims put the ruins at 9 to 11 thousand years old (so roughly contemporaneous with sites like Lepenski Vir and Göbekli Tepe).

With my usual Fortean interest in extreme pre-history, I did a little digging (or perhaps diving would be more appropriate) into the whole Dwarka mythos.
Unfortunately, rather like Yonaguni, the Azores "Pyramids" and the Baltic sea "anomaly", it is very difficult to separate genuine photographs of the site from obvious fakes - either heavily photoshopped or photos of Hellenistic or Egyptian artefacts misrepresented as ancient Indian.

The following 4 appear often, but are definitely NOT authentic photos of the Dwarka ruins:

View attachment 34490

There are, however, some plausible pics of apparently artificial structures, including walls, pillars and stone anchors, some 70 feet below current sea level in the vicinity:

View attachment 34491

View attachment 34492

View attachment 34493
View attachment 34494
View attachment 34495

Investigations into the site are ongoing and I look forward to any substantiated news about this.

What do you think?

I have some issues with some of the experts posting on quora, most strikingly is the description "Mahabharat says that Dwarka had 900,000 royal palaces, all constructed with crystal and silver" which is pretty far fetched, especially when compared to the artists impression of what city looked like

main-qimg-7b9eb1ce40da4bbb09118e9921f883ba.jpeg

I have some issues with some of the experts posting on quora, most strikingly is the description "Mahabharat says that Dwarka had 900,000 royal palaces, all constructed with crystal and silver" which is pretty far fetched, especially when compared to the artists impression of what city looked like

View attachment 34522

Well I guess sifting the plausible from the bullshit and liberally wielding Ockham's razor are skills that all us fans of Forteana need to work hard at cultivating!

Well I guess sifting the plausible from the bullshit and liberally wielding Ockham's razor are skills that all us fans of Forteana need to work hard at cultivating!
Certianly an interesting topic and i look forward to looking into it some more.
I think the main issue surrounding Dwarka is that it is bound up tightly with religeous teachings and therefore is like walking on eggshells when it comes to trying to sort fact from fiction, a lot of the scholars on the subject are also religeous and therefore do not offer objective opinions, the essays i have read (admittedly briefly) tend to speak of the religeous descriptions of Dwarka as fact and openly say so,

Yes that seems to be the one from the legend. I've been to all of the big religious places in the Gujarat Region, even Mount Abu!

I should think any place with 900,000 regular houses would be really large, let alone with 900,000 palaces.

It doesn't help that some of the 'archaeology' done at the underwater site consists of simply dredging the sea bottom and seeing what is captured and brought to the surface.

Just dug out my copy of Graham Hancock's 2002 book Underworld - Flooded Kingdoms of the Ice Age.
Sure enough, he did dive the Dwarka site in the year 2000. There are indeed two submerged cities in the Bay of Cambay.
The underwater photos are a bit fuzzy, due to the silty water, but the recovered artefacts are nice and clear.
Hancock estimated the age of the site as "more than 8,000 years".

dwarka1.JPG
dwarka2.JPG

dwarka3.JPG

Just dug out my copy of Graham Hancock's 2002 book Underworld - Flooded Kingdoms of the Ice Age.
Sure enough, he did dive the Dwarka site in the year 2000. There are indeed two submerged cities in the Bay of Cambay.
The underwater photos are a bit fuzzy, due to the silty water, but the recovered artefacts are nice and clear.
Hancock estimated the age of the site as "more than 8,000 years".

View attachment 34535View attachment 34536
View attachment 34537
I know Graham Hancock, I've never actually met him in person, it's always been on line archeology sites that I used to frequent we used to chat a lot, also did a video conference with him in 2013 about his book the sign and the seal. Also on the call i talked to him about his take on Mother/Earth Goddesses as I was currently tracking The Goddess Hecate back to being The First Goddess. He view was quite enlightening and told me he believed there was a missing ancient society connected to the First Goddess, this belief was going to be his next book. (He is also the man to say the holy grail and the arc of the covenant are one and the same. Meaning Indiana Jones has gone on quests for it twice in his 4 movie tenure.) However tragedy struck my hero Graham. He worked on another book don t know if he completed because i can't bring myself to look at him these days. This book was to find it LSD could open the doorway to new worlds. I warned him not to do this. Now days he is still an addict and since his LSD addiction he has fallen in bad view with archeology and other writers of the genre. No body trusts his words any more.

I went into the Dwarka temple and saw a priest who gave me a special blessing for having travelled so far. About the 5th special blessing from around the previous Temples i had already visited. At one Temple there was this young priest who coocked for me and he started flirting with me. He was really funny. If I was into men I coulda quite happily stayed in India. I don't have many pictures of India as my then sort of girlfriend took all the pictures on her camera, the following year we had a falling out and she never sent me any of the pictures. Ass hole!!

I know Graham Hancock, I've never actually met him in person, it's always been on line archeology sites that I used to frequent we used to chat a lot, also did a video conference with him in 2013 about his book the sign and the seal. Also on the call i talked to him about his take on Mother/Earth Goddesses as I was currently tracking The Goddess Hecate back to being The First Goddess. He view was quite enlightening and told me he believed there was a missing ancient society connected to the First Goddess, this belief was going to be his next book. (He is also the man to say the holy grail and the arc of the covenant are one and the same. Meaning Indiana Jones has gone on quests for it twice in his 4 movie tenure.) However tragedy struck my hero Graham. He worked on another book don t know if he completed because i can't bring myself to look at him these days. This book was to find it LSD could open the doorway to new worlds. I warned him not to do this. Now days he is still an addict and since his LSD addiction he has fallen in bad view with archeology and other writers of the genre. No body trusts his words any more.
yeah it's very sad. I miss the old Graham

That is desperately sad.
I just checked out his blog and see he posted a few months back "perhaps only be in deeply altered states of consciousness – the sorts of states of consciousness brought on by the use of Ayahuasca, DMT or LSD – that we can access these messages" [i.e. secret knowledge].
Never thought he would turn into the Timothy Leary of pseudoscience!

How i got around the Gujarat Region. Well I was traveling with my sort of girlfriend and her mum and aunties. We travelled in what I dubbed the indestructible car, a Tata brand. Our driver Dru he works for US Pizza in India. Dru is an area manager. So he coincided his visits to different US Pizzas restaurants with the neighbouring Temple we were going to visit. Meaning we got free pizza and toilet roll, every stop we made. And basicly Dru was being paid by U.S. Pizza for having a very sneaky holiday going around all the Temples!! ;)

That is desperately sad.
I just checked out his blog and see he posted a few months back "perhaps only be in deeply altered states of consciousness – the sorts of states of consciousness brought on by the use of Ayahuasca, DMT or LSD – that we can access these messages" [i.e. secret knowledge].
Never thought he would turn into the Timothy Leary of pseudoscience!
He's silly he had such a great mind

On the trip around Gujarat, I came to find that Indians all sleep in the same room together guys and gals. One night I ended up in bed with Dru and I felt so strange. Watching him sleeping next to me. I was hoping to have my girlfriend Jeena, next to me. First and last time I ever had a guy in my bed. At least Dru didn't snore or cop a sneaky feel in the night. We came out to India again a month later in the same year. This time I was in a bunk bed with Jeenas brother Viral for a couple of days. He's a smoker like me. He used to take me to go get cigarettes from the vendor on the street. We got a free pack each every day and other free stuff like water and crisps. That's because in the old days this area was riddled with gangs. So jeenas dad and uncles when they were younger formed their own gang of protection and beat up all the other gangs and ran them out of town.

He's silly he had such a great mind
Just had a look at Timothy Leary i might have one of his books. It's about drugs. I actually thought it was a fantasy novel but when I got it home it's about drugs. The cover was misleading. Couldn't take it back i got it from charity shop. I'll look later on my shelf if it is Timothy Leary. But yeah this Tim guy seems out there.

I didn't see much in the waters of Dwarka. But I didn't go too far out because i didn't want to offend any one. White girl in holy waters and all! ( I'd learnt from my cousin who went topless in Tunisia right out side a holy place and she got into a lot of trouble. They even asked her if she did Page 3 back in England. ) But there is some ruins there something has definitely sunk. There's also some ruins of the original temple on the land, part of it have been weatherd over the years to look like rock. So a lot of people actually climb up and stand on these rocks not knowing it's part of the old temple ruins.

The Preist was telling me that some of the old temple ruins that looked like rocks were actually horrifically recycled to make new for people's houses or for local infrastructure.

The Preist was telling me that some of the old temple ruins that looked like rocks were actually horrifically recycled to make new for people's houses or for local infrastructure.
Happened a lot back in the old days, most of the Roman structures in England ended up being recycled into new structures, they still turn up occasionally having been used as lintels or door steps.

Happened a lot back in the old days, most of the Roman structures in England ended up being recycled into new structures, they still turn up occasionally having been used as lintels or door steps.
It's not a nice thing but I suppose things change over time.

The Wembley Shiva Temple is a little similar to Dwarka Temple. I've been their many times, they did such hard and intricate work on the Wembley one, it actually looks like it is from Ancient India and just slipped through the timelines somehow.

It's not a nice thing but I suppose things change over time.
It is a reletively new concept to preserve buildings and structures, if you take your average stately home that was built 300 years ago, you can guarentee that each generation either added a new bit or changed a bit to fit in with the latest fashions of the day, can you imagine applying to add a glass, steel and concrete extention to somewhere like Blenheim Palace these days? But the equivelant happened throughout history.

View attachment 34490

View attachment 34491

View attachment 34492

View attachment 34493
View attachment 34494
View attachment 34495

What do you think?

lion in the picture could be explained with their trade with Persia. Persia loved building statues of lions. They also did trade with Greece too. 575AD onwards

It is a reletively new concept to preserve buildings and structures, if you take your average stately home that was built 300 years ago, you can guarentee that each generation either added a new bit or changed a bit to fit in with the latest fashions of the day, can you imagine applying to add a glass, steel and concrete extention to somewhere like Blenheim Palace these days? But the equivelant happened throughout history.
Like Strawberry Hill House. And that castle that was on I'm A Celebrity.

lion in the picture could be explained with their trade with Persia. Persia loved building statues of lions. They also did trade with Greece too. 575AD onwards

It's actually from the Cleopatra's Palace archaeological site in Alexandria harbour.
An earthquake and tsunami swept it and other structures under the waves in 4th century ad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antirhodos

Lion is from Atlantis Reef Neptune Memorial Reef. Underwater graveyard. Miami.

Back