Endurance In Extremity

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Run over, shot and nearly frozen dog

The animal's ordeal started on April 15, when Dosha, a 10-month-old mixed breed, escaped from a backyard and got hit by a car. The Clearlake police officer who reported to the scene shot the dog, who didn't have a collar, when no one could tell him who owned her.
Presumed dead, the dog was taken to the local animal shelter, where she was put in a freezer. About two hours later, the center's interim director opened the freezer door and found the dog standing upright in a plastic orange bag.
Awwwwww! Brave little doggie!

ogopogo3

Justified & Ancient
Hopefully, she'll be back to licking her genitalia and eating her own poop in no time flat.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Eating own poop? Is that an American dog thing?

Mine are much more fastidious than that- it's cat doo-doos from the litter tray or horse/cow manure. Nothing but the best.

They've had their favourite today- boiled pigs' tails.
Nutricious, delicious and, er, cheap-icious.

ogopogo3

Justified & Ancient
escargot said:
Eating own poop? Is that an American dog thing?
Well, the one in the forefront is 13 years old, and has never stopped loving the taste of her own feces since the day we received her. I always feel pretty nervous when being licked.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Haha Ogo, what lovely dogs, they look like British Westies to me.

I have read in dogtraining manuals that certain small dogs do this poop-eating thang and am sure they are not all American!

A

Anonymous

escargot said:
Thank the Lord I found some in time- the sisater is on her way as we speak!

Am I covered enough, or should I pop out for another quick roll?
If you get enough on you she'll just leave you at the top of the stairs all night.

Not a bad thing actualy...

A

Anonymous

Escargot , We call those delicious, not-to-be resisted treats that the cats leave in the litter box for the dog, cat cookies! yuck!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Hahahahah, my big dog was always in the cat tray when he was a pup, the kids soon stopped him licking their faces! :cross eye

The only time I've ever let dogs lick my face was when I tried to put the cats' bowl on the shed roof (where I feed them to prevent the dogs eating their food) and a gust of wind blew the lot all over me. The cats and I were not amused but the dogs and the family were.

A

Anonymous

Climber amputates own arm

MOAB, Utah (AP) -- A Colorado climber amputated his own arm Thursday, five days after becoming pinned by a boulder, and he was hiking to safety when he was spotted by searchers, authorities said.

Aron Ralston, 27, of Aspen, was in serious condition late Thursday at a hospital in Grand Junction, Colorado.

Ralston was climbing Saturday in Blue John Canyon, adjacent to Canyonlands National Park in far southwestern Utah, when a 200-pound boulder fell on him, pinning his right arm, authorities said.

He ran out of water on Tuesday and on Thursday morning, he decided that his survival required drastic action.

Using his pocketknife, he amputated his arm below the elbow and applied a tourniquet and administered first aid.

He then rigged anchors, fixed a rope and rappelled to the canyon floor.

He hiked downstream and was spotted about 3 p.m. by a Utah Public Safety Helicopter. The search for Ralston had begun the same morning, after authorities were notified he was four days overdue reporting for work.

Ralston was described by authorities as an avid outdoorsman in exceptional physical condition. They said he was known to have climbed 49 of Colorado's major peaks.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Central/05/02/climber.amputation.ap/index.html

A

Anonymous

You'd think someone that experienced would have the foresight to inform someone of his activities in case he didn't come back.

Brave boy tho. Not sure I could do that.

A

Anonymous

Never climb alone. It's rank stupidity. If he'd had a partner and left a copy of his route with someone, then his playing the piano might still be a possibilty.
Personally, I'd rather have dug away the ground under my arm...

A

Anonymous

i wounder whats the etiquet of looseing ahand in these cases...does one go back and dig it up latter or just leave it to mother nature?..(if only to retrive ur watch)..u can get fined for littering the national parks u know...

Anome

Bibliomancer
Inverurie Jones said:
Never climb alone. It's rank stupidity. If he'd had a partner and left a copy of his route with someone, then his playing the piano might still be a possibilty.
Personally, I'd rather have dug away the ground under my arm...
Assuming of course, that the ground wasn't solid rock as well. Still you're right about climbing solo - it was a stupid thing to do. A 200 pound rock would probably have been no problem for two people, even if one of them was pinned under it.

As for being able to do it, I assume the "pocket knife" was a Swiss Army or a Leatherman, or some such with a hacksaw blade in it. Cutting through bone is not easy.

Neither is hiking anywhere just after a radical procedure such as an emergency amputation. Even with a torniquet on before he started cutting, he would have lost a fair bit of blood, and probably have been in shock.

A

Anonymous

Solid rock or not, I'd still be determined to dig my way out rather than hack bits off!

Anome

Bibliomancer
I agree with you on that. I'm just saying he might have already tried it and given up. (I wouldn't have that easily, myself.)

Besides, 200 pounds isn't that heavy. I think I'd be able to shift it myself, if I could brace properly.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
anome said:
Besides, 200 pounds isn't that heavy. I think I'd be able to shift it myself, if I could brace properly.
..yes, given the use of both arms, an evenly distributed weight and unrestricted movement. Bearing in mind the one under the boulder was probably broken, and immobile anyway, I doubt he could get into a position to lever it. I do weights, and can snatch 200lb, but tbh I doubt I could move a boulder in that particular situation - apart from anything else everytime he'd have moved it probably hurt like hell.