• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Extremely Unusual Dream Experiences

I occasionally have dreams with black dogs that are either deformed or trying to attack me. They seem to be a warning signal but its not like a deja vu. I was wondering if anyone else had this kind of thing happen to them?
Kim

Ioethe said:
The short sighted members of the forum - do you dream as if you had your glasses on, or as if you were without?

Thanks

always very sharp eyesight in my dreams ,and colours tend to be ultra bright and vivid . Sounds are usually muted and muffled though.

Ioethe said:
The short sighted members of the forum - do you dream as if you had your glasses on, or as if you were without?

Thanks

Blind as the proverbial bat in real life minus my specs, but never need them in my dreams ... :cool:

Secombe said:
Up to the age of about 15 I had a certain dream probably every 2-3 days[/B] ...snip... I can't remember exactly what but I always remember it involved some sort of blocks, but it may of been something like the floor falling away or something, thats the idea, but I've never been able to explain exactly what it was, it would always get progressively closer and more intense in stages.

When I was young (ie. toddler sort of age) I had a recurring dream. It started with a number of faces, some like toys, appearing like a slideshow, with numbers at the bottom, like a prisoner's mugshot. The next thing was, I was moving downwards, slowly, while nails and screws in boxes moved past me, gradually getting closer and closer, and I was becoming more and more frightened. Eventually, one large mass of metal would descend over my field of vision and I'd wake up, usually in quite a state.

As a teenager, about 14-15, it came back. The dream was the same, but it struck me it was like falling into a machine and getting crushed to death in slow motion. Anyway, it went away again in due course.

It doesn't sound much like Secombe's dream, but the experience was pretty similar.

Does any one else have particular landscapes that are unfamiliar in wakeing life but that keep turning up over and over in dreams? I have several. Sometimes, when I wake I can't remember the dream but do remember where in my unreal world it took place!
Marel

Yes, I have a shopping centre (not a very good one either :( ) that often turns up in my dreams. I don't actually like shopping, so it isn't wish fulfilment.

An odd dream last night:

I was alone in a rowing boat, on the sea. I wasn't far from shore, but it was misty. The sea was calm with a slight swell.

[Incidentally, it's odd for me to dream of a rowing boat - but I often dream of sailing or power boats.]

Then to seaward of me there was a narrow line of breaking water. At first it was as if the swell was breaking over a submerged line of something, but somehow it seemed as if the surface of the sea had been perforated. Then the same thing happened again, but further out, rather as if the surface of the sea was a great length of perforated computer print out paper.

I decide to row out and investigate more closely, but suddenly I realised I'd lost sight of the shore, and I began to panic, so rowed for the shore instead, with only the direction of the swell to guide me. The sense of panic was very real, and I woke up!

Story of my life, really, lost without a compass!

I always find it bizarre that people's dreams can be so different, not only in content, but also in style!
Most of mine are plain and simple everyday situations but with a slight twist - the slow body movements and painfully lethargic state of mind and being are recurrent.
The strangest memorable dream I had involved a stereotypical alien abduction type scenario with semi transluscent beings transporting me and others into some strange craft before taking us to a rock off the Welsh coastline (at least I got the impression it was in Wales!). There was a hidden door in this rock which we flew into and disembarked. I suppose the "aliens" must have been distracted for a little while because another abductee and me made a run for it, clambering across the rocks in the early morning twilight and making for the coast, even though we were naked and a bit dopey. We managed to get onto a path along the steep shoreline and seemed to be getting away, even though several of the beings were chasing us. However, we rounded a corner and wouldn't you just know it? Guess who was there waiting for us. :rolleyes:
Now normally at this stage of dreams an "in danger" alert would sound and I'd wake myself up.
However; not this time. My dream continued with mine and my mate's capture and return to the rock. Then it's all a bit of a blur until I woke up back in reality.
Now some would say that I really had been abducted by bonafide aliens intent on performing sordid sexual experiments on my naked body (bring 'em on, I say).
It wasn't until I re-read an article in terrific partwork The Unexplained a couple of years later about the so-called Dyfed Enigma, that I noticed where the opening-in-rock motif came from. (Basically one of the witnesses claimed that a rock off the coastline housed a saucer base). Add to that the amount of UFO literature I'd been glancing at since I was ten and I could just about start to see where my dream had come from.
Until I meet my fellow abductee/escapee I will remain unconvinced.

Errr...it wasn't anybody on here was it?:eek!!!!:

Ioethe said:

No eyesight problems in dreams over here, though I can't remember being aware of my glasses in one. The trouble is my dreams are always so surreal, but I forget them in no time at all. :(

I had a dream about a month ago that disturbed me.

It was the day of my sisters wedding and I woke up in a hotel (the converted hotel that I used to live in when I was at University) and I realised I was late (the wedding was at 7.45am). I couldn't find my bridesmaids dress and I couldn't find the room where the other bridesmaids were, so I headed down to the wedding wearing my jeans and a T-shirt.

The bottom part of the hotel was a large church with enormous arch windows, but they didn't have any glass in. As I walked down the aisle I noticed that hardly any of my family were there and instead my boyfriends friend's were asleep on the pews. At the very back I noticed a dead baby :eek!!!!:

I looked out of the windows and saw one of her fiancees friends being eaten by a cougar - it was chased away by two dobermans which were tied together with ribbons and bows in the wedding theme colours. The cougar jumped over a wall taking the wedding guest with it.

At the front of the church my sister and her fiancee were kneeling and she was crying, she was wearing a bright red dress and white shoes as was the bridesmaid (I didn't recognise her). My sister said she was upset because her nan wasn't there (I had the horrible feeling she had died) and her fiancee said that he wasn't happy either because his best man hadn't turned up.

Before I woke up I just remembered how noisy it was, the dogs were running about outside barking, my boyfriend's friends were all snoring in the middle of the church and my sister was at the front crying.

I'm usually very proud of my all-singing, all-dancing dreams, but this one unnerved me and I couldn't go back to sleep.

Oof, I had a similarly unpleasant family-related dream night-before-last.

I was at work and it was daytime, but very dull and overcast. Our office is open-plan, and somehow one of the adjacent interview rooms also contained my family home within it (Tardis-style).

Inside my "house" was yet darker and unnervingly silent -- I discovered this was because my entire family had died in their sleep some nights before, and the place was beginning to smell.

The rest of the dream involved me being back in the office and incredibly distraught, sobbing and crying and feeling faint and hysterical (the grief and shock felt very realistic), while one shady individual (ostensibly "le nettoyer" from La Femme Nikita) disappeared into my "house" with a briefcase of corrosive products to deal with my "problem".

I woke up in the early hours feeling... well, as if I'd lost my entire family in one fell swoop (I actually lost my father when I was quite young, so there's a valid comparison), and I felt it so deeply that instead of gonig back to bed, I made phonecalls to various family members (some of them international; most of them grumpy) to check they were okay.

They were, but I didn't go back to bed then, was afraid to that night, and am still creeped out thinking about it.

Any advice/ideas?

Orbyn said:
I woke up in the early hours feeling... well, as if I'd lost my entire family in one fell swoop (I actually lost my father when I was quite young, so there's a valid comparison), and I felt it so deeply that instead of gonig back to bed, I made phonecalls to various family members (some of them international; most of them grumpy) to check they were okay.

Any advice/ideas?

I have these dreams too, usually about my sister, I think I get them because I am feeling subconciously guilty about not having spoken to her or seen her for such a long time.

Maybe your dream means something similar...

Kitten

Dreams and then some

My father passed away in April of this year. We were not particularly close but had a healthy respect for each other. Twice in my dreams I have seen him as he was before he had the cancer - in good health and wearing his best clothes - in his case a blue flannel shirt and jeans. He seems happy and patient. There has been no conversation in these dreams and I am unsure as to the meaning - although I get the impression it is good. My religion while Christian teaches that the world of the living and the dead are not far apart and that the dead can communicate with us if there is a need.

The other story I wish to relate is an experience that my sister had as a young child. My mother would not let her go on a Church picnic that was held on a Saturday. My sister consquently stayed home and listened to music in her room. She was lying on the floor of her room in the sun and fell asleep at one point. She dreamt that she was at the picnic and helped the Sunday school teacher tidy up the dishes after the lunch. The following Sunday at Church her teacher came up to her and thanked her for her help at the picnic the day before! My sister was more than a bit gobsmacked at the this.

I might be straying a bit OT here, but I think I might have had a bit of sleep paralysis just before waking up this morning. I don't even know whether I was awake or alseep, but I was conscious that I was lying in my bed, everything was black and I couldn't move a muscle however much I tried. Not a pleasant experience IMO. :cross eye

Re: Dreams and then some

Bosbaba said:
She dreamt that she was at the picnic and helped the Sunday school teacher tidy up the dishes after the lunch. The following Sunday at Church her teacher came up to her and thanked her for her help at the picnic the day before! My sister was more than a bit gobsmacked at the this.

Sounds more like an out-of-body experience to me. People always invalidate them, but I think they truly do happen, more often than we think.

aerialsnake said:
I might be straying a bit OT here, but I think I might have had a bit of sleep paralysis just before waking up this morning. I don't even know whether I was awake or alseep, but I was conscious that I was lying in my bed, everything was black and I couldn't move a muscle however much I tried. Not a pleasant experience IMO. :cross eye

Brrr, you made me remember my first experience -- all of 3 or so weeks ago. I was just dozing on the sofa and felt myself coming "out" of my dream and being awake but unable to move, open my eyes or breathe properly, and struggling to do so. Felt like it lasted minutes. Orrible. Reminded me of that moment when you've laughed too much and can't inhale, and the panic sets in.

"Perhaps you dreamt you had sleep paralysis," suggested my boyfriend, helpfully. Hm.

Re: Dreams and then some

Bosbaba said:
...The other story I wish to relate is an experience that my sister had as a young child. My mother would not let her go on a Church picnic that was held on a Saturday. My sister consquently stayed home and listened to music in her room. She was lying on the floor of her room in the sun and fell asleep at one point. She dreamt that she was at the picnic and helped the Sunday school teacher tidy up the dishes after the lunch. The following Sunday at Church her teacher came up to her and thanked her for her help at the picnic the day before! My sister was more than a bit gobsmacked at the this.

Fascinating! I've heard of one other experience like this. This event was included in a television program about the unexplained. The people involved were present. As children, several men had attended the same summer camp. One of them fell asleep in a tent, while the others went hiking. The sleeping boy dreamt that the hiking boys encountered a crazed dog who with bared teeth and growls, kept them pinned against a hillside. The sleeping boy dreamt that he left camp, found the boys and the dog, and from behind threw rocks at the dog until the boys could escape.

The sleeping boy was awakened by the screams of the hiking boys as they ran back into camp. He got up and went out to see what was going on. When the hiking boys saw the boy who had been dreaming they thanked him for throwing rocks at the dog! They were completely convinced that he had been there. They had all seen him. There were also witnesses who saw the dreaming boy asleep in the tent the entire time the other boys were hiking.

It's all evidence that reality is not what most people think it is.

If we could control these abilities at will, it would be called magic, so maybe that's what magic is.

Dream Histories

ok, i just dozed off for a sec. half asleep, half awake. the only thing i noticed was that i slumped off to the right in my chair. so i kinda zoned in on that in my sleepiness. and with that my mind quickly dreamed some weird history of a soldier in the Spanish Armada who made it a point to slump to the right whenever injured or at death's door. then i was dreaming that i was debating the validity of that history. then i was telling myself that i'm having another dream where i dream up fictional info and see it as factual.

ever experiance that?

Back