• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Food Items Self-Segregating in a Boiling Pan

i think you are onto something there stu.

pot noodle! yuck!

i will report on the state of my fortean veggies again tonight. this time i will cut the carrots into julienne sticks or whatever. then i will report.

this is like science! exciting!

:)

Sally said:
That sound positively unnatural... :eek!!!!:

My first encounter with baked beans was on a school trip to the UK, when I was 16.
Breakfast consisted of beans, some kind of near-meatless sausage and powdered scrambled eggs. Lunch included a packet of crisps, an apple and a cheddar sandwich (I can only eat it melted). Dinner was usually grey spaghetti.
I lost loads of weight. :p

And I haven't been able to bring myself to touch baked beans since. :D
I have to say, the Belgians do like their food and jolly good food it can be too.

Sausages, in Belgium and The Netherlands, really do have meat in them.

If you like beer, game, asparagus, or even decent chips (you don't need to have them with mayonnaise), Belgium's the place!

Obviously, I can't vouch for the state of Belgian school dinners, although I could ask my partner's niece and nephew from Brussels, next time I see them.

I have to say, Sally, it's worth searching out a decent piece of cheddar. That stuff in the supermarkets rarely cuts the mustard. Real cheddar does exist and it's a totally different cheese.

I don't want to seem to be criticising - you can find great food in Britain. You just have to know where to look.

Athough I bemoan the rarity of small butchers and bakers, there are some lovely delicatessen - among others a fabulous cheese shop in Bath, which even stocks that weird toffee-tasting Norwegian stuff (an acquired taste, may I add).

Supermarkets, though, generally seem to have a poor selection - or maybe I've just been to the wrong supermarkets. ;)

And I can't vouch for the quality of Belgian school dinners- I always brought my own stuff. :D

But Belgian food has been considered better than French food by some connoisseurs...:p I do so miss paling in het groen...

Sally said:
Athough I bemoan the rarity of small butchers and bakers, there are some lovely delicatessen - among others a fabulous cheese shop in Bath, which even stocks that weird toffee-tasting Norwegian stuff (an acquired taste, may I add).
Paxton and Whitefield, by any chance? That one's great :). And there's the other one round the corner, called Fine Cheese or similar - they give great big lumps to taste.

Actually, cheese is one of thing we don't buy in supermarkets - good Cheddar is pretty easy to come by in this neck of the woods :). If you're ever over in Bristol on a Wednesday morning Sal, give Corn Street Farmer's Market a whirl - there's some class stuff there.

stu neville said:
Pot Noodle. It's the nose-picking of convenience stuffs - everyone's done it at least once, but no-one admits to it :)

Let's face it, a Pot Noodle is the equivalent of about 6 packets of crisps with hot water and salt added. Plus some more salt. A sort of crisps slurry, if you like.

:cross eye

Supermarkets are on the whole not amazing for choice - the exception perhaps being Waitrose. They usually have a good range of nice food and drink. They do a very good perry, for example, which I highly recommend. And their bread's always pretty good, which I take as a positive sign.

There's an organic market every Sunday next to the Millenium Stadium. I just have to find the energy to drag myself out of the house more often... :p

What's a perry?

a perry is a fizzy alcholic drink made from pears
eg babycham

Sally said:
What's a perry?
It's like cider, only made from pears. Used to be very popular in England in "the olden days", can't imagine why it died out.

I despair of ever finding a decent strong cheddar. Not being near a M&S or Waitrose, i have to shop in Sainsburys, and bought some Taste the Difference Keens cheddar there this very day, a lump of which I had with me as I went online. It's minging, as I believe the young people say.

melf said:
a perry is a fizzy alcholic drink made from pears
eg babycham

Well, in it's defence, proper perry isn't anything like Babycham ;)

Good perry, like good cider or mead, is a treat for the senses :)

I quite like Babycham. :p

Mind you, I far prefer Veuve Cliquot. :D

right, this evening i cut the carrots into sticks.

and nothing happened.

so, i reckon it is the shape of the things.

the disks might give more surface area for the convection currents to push them around?

i kind of liked the idea of a haunted cook top :(

ok so u have flat disks of carrot and rounded sphearoids of beans... the boiling water produces bubbles of superheated steam which originate at the heat interface (ie the base of the pan)... those bubbles hit the base of the carrots and tip them sideways and away from the direction that they excape upwards... on the other hand the beans are hit by the bubbles and they run along the base and round the side propelling the bean toward the exiting buble... its hydrodynamics... maybe.

dun no.... sharp edge objects maybe go away from bubbles and rounded edged go towards bubbles... next time carve the carrots into exact replicas of the beans and see what happens.... then theres the question of density....... best make sure the beans weigh the same too... ohh its very complex this question!

how about next time i dice the carrots up and see what happens.

then, i could also cut the beans up smaller and see what happens when they are cooked with carrots in disks.

who said 'true learning is to keep trying something till it works'?

or, was it from 2000AD ABC warriors?

hmmmm

my thinking is influenced by a veriety of "bow thrusters" proposed as a way of subtaly moveing iceburgs a few years ago.... air pipes pass down the Ice burg into the sea, and are perforatated, and air passed into them..the excapeing bubbles create lower desity in the water they pass tho (rather like the gass sea bed explosion theory of ship disapearance in the Bemuda triangle)... and the berg moves towards that less dense area of water.

i reckon i shoudl also put the same amount of water in the pot. maybe a few ice cubes, to pretend they are icebergs?

or, have i got it all wrong....?

guttersnipe said:
i reckon i shoudl also put the same amount of water in the pot. maybe a few ice cubes, to pretend they are icebergs?

or, have i got it all wrong....?

yes and carve a carrot into the shape of Leonard Di caprio and kate Whinslet and see which lets go of the bean first.

i might get some peas too to throw into the mix.

see what happens next in guttersnipe's CRAZY kitchen!!!

i have to admit something. i burst out laughing in that film when the guy fell off the back and hit the propellor and went shooting offscreen.

it was pretty funny!!!

i do a rather amusing man carved out of orange peel.

i must get a digital camera!

i had pasta last night.

nothing spooky happened.

although i did spill cold water on the hot glass top of the electric cooker and thought i might have cracked it. and it stayed intact. tough stuff!

i will endeavour to boil diced carrots and long beans tonight.

What a fussy lot you are! Carrots? Baked beans? Pasta? Pot Noodle? Is there no foodstuff which is safe from your collective wrath?

I feel compelled to say that I have eaten and enjoyed all the above foods at one point or another in my life, and am pround of it.
I have also eaten and enjoyed sprouts, parsnips, custard, semolina, Marmite and Fisherman's Friends. The fishermen havn't spoken to me since, but I don't regret a thing.

Is there a static charge building up in Guttersnipe's fridge, causing the beans and carrots to become magnetically polarised and repell each other?
If you turn them round, do they stick together?

yeah! me too! _everyone_ knows how sensitive i am about the size of my flat. is this some jibe about how i have to move the bed to open the fridge door? :D

Back