• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Footage of UFO and Concorde

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Anyone recall a film clip from (I think) the 1970s which featured Concorde in flight, when a small ball of white light drops down from the top of the frame and dips as it reaches the window of the plane, as if it's looking in? It then speeds back up the way it came.

I heard this footage was explained, but I can't remember what the explanation was. Can anybody help?

I remember seeing it, not sure when though.
Seemed to be able to stop and accelerate with little regard for inertia, and it looked totally unrealistic to me.
But then if it really was a foo fighter or something, you would expect it to look and behave in ways that arent those you are used to.

The cause of the 'UFO' was special type of camera being used to film Concord from an another aircraft. It was a lens effect, whose movement was caused by small camera movements.

Thanks for the explanation JerryB!

I don't have broadband unfortunately, Jane, even though it would be nice to see the footage again. Thanks anyway.

I heard this "explanation" at the time. I wouldn't say it DID explain it - it's just a theory.
Whay didn't the white ball show up on the film more often if it was a lens effect - reflection of the sun, or some dust particle in the camera?
Take a look at the video and decide yourself.

Um, having looked at the video, it doesn't seem at all like a lens effect to me.

It could, however, be a reflection on the inside of the plane from which the Concorde is being filmed.

I see nothing there that makes me think UFO. Grain on film, something else, weather ballon?

If it is THAT prosaic an explanation, surely someone
would have recreated this type of shot by now!

Just like all the Billy Meier debunkers -- they keep saying
that a 10 year old can fake UFO photos better than that.
But they never produce anything for comparison -- even when they have accepted the challenge!

(Before the Flame Wars start, I know Billy Meier is a bunch of
hoohaa -- predictions, cult, assasination attempts and all!)

TVgeek

Well, the camera used was an experimental rig that didn't go into production - so what was seen was a peculiarity of that particular camera. And FYI, Meiers photos were scrutinised quite some time ago using computer imaging - which showed the wires ;)

dannycheveaux said:
I heard this "explanation" at the time. I wouldn't say it DID explain it - it's just a theory.
Whay didn't the white ball show up on the film more often if it was a lens effect - reflection of the sun, or some dust particle in the camera?
Take a look at the video and decide yourself.

It was simply an optical effect produced by the angle of the camera to the sun at the time. It's not a theory - the guy who designed the camera came up with this explanation. What took place happened in a particular set of circumstances - a good print of teh film shows that the 'white ball' was more transparent, which also goes to show that it is an optical effect.

Back