• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Footsteps Across The Ceiling During A Trip To France

j_73

Fresh Blood
I was 17 years old when a friend of mine invited me to go on a holiday with his parents over Easter to the Dordogne region of France. We were also travelling with friend s of my parents so the group were well known to myself and my friend.
We arrived at the place we were staying on a bright and sunny day in the village whose name I cannot for the life of me remember. I do though remember we were very close to Limoges. Although we arrived on such a lovely day the village was deserted which I found odd, and also being a red-blooded 17 year old disappointing as both I and my friend, Mitchum (named after the actor), were looking for some lovely French girls to become acquainted with.
After unpacking and exploring we settled in for the night. Such was the design of the farm house that Mitch's parents were upstairs in a double room with John, Jeanette and their two young daughters across the landing in a family sized room. Myself and my mate were downstairs in an annex room. Everyone retired early as the long drive and the bottles of wine had taken a toll so myself and Mitch were left downstairs to chew the fat as well as sink a couple of subbies (33cl beers). Although we had our own company it did feel rather strange but we just put that down to a foreign country.
We both drifted off to sleep, I do remember listening to my Walkman for a while and then drifting off. Not sure what time it was but we were both woken in the early hours by footsteps from the floor above. Going from one room to the other and then stopping abruptly. We thought nothing of it but we were both woken by it.
The following morning we asked which one of you had the weak bladder. all denied it, and knowing them as we did we believed them. The following night, everyone stayed up later as well ate and laughed around the large kitchen table, the two young children went up slightly later than normal as they were enjoying themselves too. Jeanette took them up and my friends mum went up with her with left myself Mitch, John and Mitch's dad. We had a coupe of stubbies and retired to bed. But, yet again, in the early hours the footsteps returned. Again we asked and again, nobody knew about any movement upstairs.
That same evening yet again wee were around the table eating and laughing about the day we had had, the highlight being how I was looking up at a church tower somewhere and hadn't noticed the low street sign behind me, as I walked back I tripped over the sign and fell star shaped into a flower bed just as a school trip walke dpast all laughing and pointing t the silly English boy.
As we sat around, all 8 of us, the sound of footsteps was heard going across the ceiling from one roo to another, The laughter stopped and for the next two nghts nobody slept a winkk of sleep, apart from the two youngsters.

How long ago was this, j_73? On subsequent nights, when none of you slept, did anyone go up and investigate? Did you all discuss it at the time, or since?

How long ago was this, j_73? On subsequent nights, when none of you slept, did anyone go up and investigate? Did you all discuss it at the time, or since?
I was 17 at the time so would have been the Easter of 91. Mitch's parents did go up to try to sleep and although footsteps were not heard again they could not sleep.
We did discuss again a few times after in England but we could not agree on anything logical

Ok - so what I meant was, when you heard the noise did anyone immediately go up and try to see what was causing it? Given that you've said nobody slept afterwards - which is a major impact on any holiday- I'm puzzled as to why you neither tried to ascertain what it was or to make alternative arrangements.

I'd like to know how the school trip passing knew you were English? Do the English have a habit of falling into flower beds or walking into signs?

Joking apart, I'd be of the 'contracting floorboard' opinion. Was the weather hot or particularly changeable during your visit? And how recently had the farmhouse been occupied?

Ever since I read the Secret Squatters / Hidden Housemates thread, whenever I hear a "mysterious footsteps in the middle of the night" story I have to wonder if it's another case of a secret squatter, the kind that live in the attic or on the top shelf of a disused closet, and who come out at night to raid the refrigerator.

Ever since I read the Secret Squatters / Hidden Housemates thread, whenever I hear a "mysterious footsteps in the middle of the night" story I have to wonder if it's another case of a secret squatter, the kind that live in the attic or on the top shelf of a disused closet, and who come out at night to raid the refrigerator.

99% of the time it's a mouse or if you are really unlucky a rat. Always keep your bushes trimmed.

I was more wondering if, because it was Easter and fairly southerly in France, the house was getting very warm during the day and then cooling dramatically at night, so the wooden floors were expanding and contracting in that way that sounds very much like footsteps.

Also, was the house joined to another? Sometimes floors are connected, and steps in one room or house can sound as though they come from overhead. When Big Cat Arthur jumps through the window in the spare room in my cottage, it sounds as though he lands right over my head if I'm sitting downstairs on the sofa under my bedroom, because it's one long run of boards the whole length of the house. Plus, he's a big cat.

All excellent points. Hopefully j_73 will be able to address them when he returns. I've also amended the thread title to make it a bit more explanatory.

Last edited:
Also, was the house joined to another? Sometimes floors are connected, and steps in one room or house can sound as though they come from overhead.
This. Maybe it was a 3-storey building, but with only 2 floors accessible to the people in j_73's party?
A bit like the floor arrangement in a maisonette.

I don't think contracting floorboards would produce a regular enough sound to resemble moving footsteps. I'm wondering how long the footsteps carried on for - a few seconds, several minutes?

If it were me I think I'd be up trying to track down the source.

Thing is, hunck, when one board contracts, it leaves space for the next board to contract too, and it can give rise to a very regular 'creak creak' of boards, almost like footsteps. Have heard it myself and, whilst it didn't sound exactly like footsteps, in an unknown place late at night I can see how it could be mistaken.

I'm wondering how long the footsteps carried on for - a few seconds, several minutes?...If it were me I think I'd be up trying to track down the source.
Yes, I did mention some of this, but j_73 hasn't been back since to augment his tale any further.

I was more wondering if, because it was Easter and fairly southerly in France, the house was getting very warm during the day and then cooling dramatically at night, so the wooden floors were expanding and contracting in that way that sounds very much like footsteps...

I think this - and similar effects - happen an awful lot more than some people realise. Also, stud walls, rafters and roof members, even timber furniture - however old and seasoned - will shift a little with the right environmental change; and the internal stresses involved can be really quite significant. In the case of floors, and sometimes stud walls, the various taps - and sometimes really quite loud bangs - can definitely appear sequential.

I have bare boards upstairs in my place – these tap regularly on summer mornings, and when the heating finally crawls its way up through the copper in winter. But the most notable phenomenon is actually connected to the laminate floor in my kitchen. It’s quite a large space, so there are a lot of panels. In certain conditions, when I first step into the room in the morning the pressure on the first board clearly causes that board to flex very slightly against the next, and so on, creating a rapid sequence of tiny tapping sounds which appear to cross the room from my position, as if a pixie in heels - or something with claws - has just skittered across the floor in panic.

Having virtually rebuilt my own place, as well as worked on many renovation and restoration projects, I’ve always found the way old buildings actually work, and how they appear to breathe and shift around you like living objects, really quite fascinating. I’m also often surprised by how little some people know about the thing they actually live in.

I’ve always found the way old buildings actually work, and how they appear to breathe and shift around you like living objects, really quite fascinating.
Yes. We live in a long, unbroken Victorian terrace, shallow foundations, and all of the houses at our end of the road flex by several inches over the year as the clay soil dries out in the summer and saturates again in the winter. As a result we all have quite vivid recurring cracks in the middle of our houses which gape in July and are hairline again by February. It somewhat disconcerted us the first summer we lived here but our neighbour, a builder, showed us he had near identical in his house and he wasn't even slightly concerned. They do make quite a bit of structural noise though, especially as you say when the heating starts up, or when warm sun hits the roof and you get a brief snare-drumroll effect.

I've heard something similar in the middle of the night but as I live in a single-storey house I couldn't figure out what it was until I saw, the next day, several cats trotting along the roof tiles as a short cut.

If cats are running over the roof at night they make a distinctive 'ba-dum ba-dum ba-dum' rhythmic sound which can be a bit disconcerting! I don't have any pet felines any more so it happens less often now. My next-door neighbour was concerned about rodents in his loft as he sometimes heard it too, and didn't know where the sound was coming from until I told him was nocturnal cats!

However the sound is faster than 'foot steps' so unless there was a heavy dog living upstairs from @j_73 at night I am stumped for a rational answer. Pet dogs and cats will often get up and move around a bit during the wee small hours and the owners normally just sleep through it.

Yes. We live in a long, unbroken Victorian terrace, shallow foundations, and all of the houses at our end of the road flex by several inches over the year as the clay soil dries out in the summer and saturates again in the winter. As a result we all have quite vivid recurring cracks in the middle of our houses which gape in July and are hairline again by February. It somewhat disconcerted us the first summer we lived here but our neighbour, a builder, showed us he had near identical in his house and he wasn't even slightly concerned. They do make quite a bit of structural noise though, especially as you say when the heating starts up, or when warm sun hits the roof and you get a brief snare-drumroll effect.
Yup, we live in a 1950s concrete monstrosity which used to give a loud CRACK! every evening. Haven't given it a thought for a good while so perhaps it's filled up with moss or summat.

I lived in two places where the water heater did some strange things.

We had a pool table in the basement and in the middle of the night, we'd hear "pool balls clacking around". Turns out it was the water heater with some air in it.

Other place, we termed it "screaming in the pipes" which didn't help matters much. Occasionally we'd all be woken up by this deafening sound that we later attributed to air in the water pipes. It terrified us so much that we would get up when that happened and all hang out in the living room for an hour or so. Middle of the night kinda thing. No one thought anyone the lesser for wanting to stay wide awake after that. It was a terrifying sound.

Other place, we termed it "screaming in the pipes" which didn't help matters much. Occasionally we'd all be woken up by this deafening sound that we later attributed to air in the water pipes. It terrified us so much that we would get up when that happened and all hang out in the living room for an hour or so. Middle of the night kinda thing. No one thought anyone the lesser for wanting to stay wide awake after that. It was a terrifying sound.
My Mum had that with her old heating system. After she'd got a new system installed this year - no problems.

My Mum had that with her old heating system. After she'd got a new system installed this year - no problems.

That's just reminded me, Myth, of the house I grew up in. An Edwardian terrace house, with what felt like all the original pipework and electrics! We'd quite often get airlocks in the water system and then, whenever the cold tap was run there would be a groaning, shrieking sound that went on until, presumably, the air was expelled from a tap. We all knew what it was, but for visitors it could be terrifying.

We're probably moving away from the OP's original query, but I do think this subject is interesting, and has legs. I've actually thought about starting a thread on the subject in the past - and there was a connected article in FT not so long ago, although I think there's very much more ground to be covered than it addressed.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't claim that the events in the OP were definitely connected to environmental factors - I just think that they are worth considering. I also don't believe that such factors are a magic bullet that can automatically be used to explain away the apparently inexplicable. I have also always had a hunch that real world factors, if not immediately explicable, can trigger something in our relationship with our environment which opens us up to further maybe not so 'real world' elements. But that is just a hunch.

Maybe a couple of years after I moved into my place I was woken in the early hours – several times, in fact - by disconcertingly loud bangs, like pistol shots. I tried telling myself that I was imagining things; that I had a rowdy poltergeist; that my neighbour was a midnight target shooter. But nothing really seemed to fit, and eventually I kind of gave up worrying about it.

Then one day while I was sanding a door, I noticed something that hadn’t been there when I’d started a couple of days previous, and which got me looking through the site photographs I'd taken when I first bought the place.

I'm pretty sure that my internal doors are the original ones, fitted when the place was built – which would be around 1890. Panelled rail and stile type doors (which mine are, and which are still possibly the most common basic pattern) are designed to minimise movement caused by dimensional changes in the timber, itself the result of changes in humidity and temperature etc. A fundamental factor of the original design is that the panels within the rails should be floating, rather than fixed within their grooves. However, it’s very common that, over time, the panels become firmly ‘glued’ into position by varnish and paint and the layered accumulation thereof.

What I’d noticed was that one lower panel in nearly every door now had a split in it. These splits were not clean and V shaped, which would likely be the case if the split started at one end and gradually worked its way along the grain over time. In places networks of wood fibre crossed the splits, which are roughly even in width, and I strongly suspect that what happened was that that the panels were forced apart across the grain – literally pulled apart, rather than the split being eased along the grain - and I think the noises I heard were the mini explosions of sound caused when the weakest part of the grain could no longer resist the lateral forces involved.

There was no central heating when I moved in – and I couldn’t afford it until I’d been there a couple of years – when the ‘pistol shots’ started. I’m pretty sure that the warming and drying action of that new central heating system, combined with the unintentional gluing up of the floating panels was the cause of my loud bangs.

I’ve probably over-complicated that explanation, so try this:

Imagine ripping a piece of paper as you probably usually would – like this:

rip.jpg

Now imagine instead gripping opposite sides of a sheet and pulling apart until the structural elements that hold the paper together are overcome by the force exerted.

The former process could theoretically take place and be completed over a very long period of time as one continuous gradual process. In the latter process though, the structural failure happens all at once.

That, I’m pretty sure, was my pistol shots.

I used to rent an old house many years ago and when you went up stairs it would sound like someone was following you.It was the old stairs bending then clicking back into place.
First few times totally terrified especially when I had no electricity but a builder mate proved it to me.

All excellent points. Hopefully j_73 will be able to address them when he returns. I've also amended the thread title to make it a bit more explanatory.
Still rather hoping he'll come back and help us with this. I have a lingering suspicion he won't, though.

Back