• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fort In Sport (Odd Sports & Sporting Incidents)

I've been saying for years that one of England's great talents is inventing sports for the rest of the world to promptly beat us at, at every opportunity :rollingw:
Your evidence?

Apart from rugby union, rugby league, football (soccer), cricket, badminton, golf...

Ah, I see, you may just have a point. I'm sure Google could add a few more to the mix.

England are only at their best when losing. It's what we expect of them. The best was when the England football team lost to Iceland. A country with less inhabitants than where I live in Brighton.

Your evidence?

Apart from rugby union, rugby league, football (soccer), cricket, badminton, golf...

Ah, I see, you may just have a point. I'm sure Google could add a few more to the mix.
Ahem, golf wasn't invented by the English.

England invented Rugby but they can;t play Rugby...what a pie of shit ...going to stick with the NRL.

Eh? But even with a man down we comprehensively defeated a team rated above us in the international rankings.
That is the stuff of legends!
You can blame the idiotic rule-changes, that dish out red cards like confetti, for changing the nature of the game.
With contact now being discouraged, we will certainly see more of a return to the kicking game (which rugby used to be back when the scoring was standardised with a try worth only 1 point and drop-goals, penalties or kicks from a mark worth 3 points).
England just seem to be early adopters of these new-age kicking tactics and I applaud them for it!

I love to see long-distance, spectacular drop-goals, just as in football, I much prefer to see a 35 yard shot screaming into the back of the net rather than the yawn-inducing "tippy-tappy" football, with teams trying to pass the ball into the net.

Ahem, golf wasn't invented by the English.

No. It was invented by the Hobbit Bandobras Took who "took off the head of the goblin king with a wood club, causing it to fly through the air for 100 yards and fall down a rabbit hole; it is said that this is how the game of golf was invented."

And it's TRUE.

Eh? But even with a man down we comprehensively defeated a team rated above us in the international rankings.
That is the stuff of legends!
You can blame the idiotic rule-changes, that dish out red cards like confetti, for changing the nature of the game.
With contact now being discouraged, we will certainly see more of a return to the kicking game (which rugby used to be back when the scoring was standardised with a try worth only 1 point and drop-goals, penalties or kicks from a mark worth 3 points).
England just seem to be early adopters of these new-age kicking tactics and I applaud them for it!

I love to see long-distance, spectacular drop-goals, just as in football, I much prefer to see a 35 yard shot screaming into the back of the net rather than the yawn-inducing "tippy-tappy" football, with teams trying to pass the ball into the net.
If I want to see endless kicking then I watch AFL.

No. It was invented by the Hobbit Bandobras Took who "took off the head of the goblin king with a wood club, causing it to fly through the air for 100 yards and fall down a rabbit hole; it is said that this is how the game of golf was invented."

And it's TRUE.
Well the R&A is based at St Andrew's, and that sounds like Fife.

Ha! Ha!

Boat carrying West Ham fans gets wedged under London’s Hammersmith Bridge​

Boat carrying West Ham fans gets wedged under London’s Hammersmith Bridge

The boat carrying West Ham fans became stuck beneath the Hammersmith Bridge on Sunday (Mortlake Brewery/PA)

A boat carrying West Ham football fans became stuck underneath a suspension bridge on the River Thames as it travelled to a football match on Sunday.

The vessel, MV Emerald of London, was due to take the West Ham supporters to a Premier League match against Fulham at the Craven Cottage stadium but it was forced to turn round after becoming wedged beneath Hammersmith Bridge in west London.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-41288227.html

Ha! Ha!

Boat carrying West Ham fans gets wedged under London’s Hammersmith Bridge​

Boat carrying West Ham fans gets wedged under London’s Hammersmith Bridge

The boat carrying West Ham fans became stuck beneath the Hammersmith Bridge on Sunday (Mortlake Brewery/PA)

A boat carrying West Ham football fans became stuck underneath a suspension bridge on the River Thames as it travelled to a football match on Sunday.

The vessel, MV Emerald of London, was due to take the West Ham supporters to a Premier League match against Fulham at the Craven Cottage stadium but it was forced to turn round after becoming wedged beneath Hammersmith Bridge in west London.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-41288227.html
As West Ham lost 5-0 they were probably glad to miss it.

Margaret Court was in attendance?

A highly venomous snake interrupted play during Dominic Thiem's victory against James McCabe at the Brisbane International qualifying event.

Former US Open champion Thiem was a set down to Australian McCabe when the snake was spotted near the courtside electrical wires.

A 40-minute break in play followed while the reptile was safely removed by a professional snake catcher.

"I really love animals, especially exotic ones," Thiem said afterwards.

"But they said it was a really poisonous snake and it was close to the ball kids, so it was a really dangerous situation.

"It's something that has never happened to me and is something I'll definitely never forget."

The animal was identified as a highly venomous eastern brown snake and was approximately 50cm in length.

Following the delay, Thiem recovered to win 2-6 7-6 (7-4) 6-4 and advance to the second and final round of qualifying for the Brisbane International.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/67847517

I reckon Air Cote d'Ivoire is the local Ryanair franchise, you have to pay extra for oxygen

The Gambia squad travelling to Ivory Coast for the forthcoming 2023 Africa Cup of Nations "could have died" during a flight that was aborted, coach Tom Saintfiet has claimed.

The Air Cote d'Ivoire flight turned around just nine minutes after leaving the Gambian capital Banjul on Wednesday because of a lack of oxygen in the plane, which prompted many of the delegation to fall asleep.

Saintfiet praised the quick thinking of the pilot for keeping his team safe.

"The local crew said there was a problem with the air conditioning before we took off but that it would be all fine when we took off," Saintfiet told BBC Sport Africa. "After a few minutes, it was very hot in the plane. We all fell asleep because there was a lack of oxygen - some of the players couldn't be woken up. The pilot noticed and we had to return. People got headaches and if the flight had gone on for another 30 minutes, the whole team would have died. The strange thing is that the oxygen masks didn't come out - it's good that the pilot realised that this was a deadly situation and so turned back. But we are still in shock."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/67944871

Laughter being the better option.

A football fan flew more than 8,000 miles from China to see his favourite team play, only for the game to be abandoned after just a few minutes.

Teacher Andy Bebbington and other Bolton fans only saw nine minutes of the League One game at Cambridge. Heavy rain caused a waterlogged pitch, with the game called off at 20:10 GMT on Tuesday.

"It was a bit of a nightmare to be honest," said Mr Bebbington, who was on a two week trip home to the UK.

The fan, originally from Kearsley, tweeted: "Gotta laugh or else I'll cry."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-68228130

James Magnussen to make swimming 'world record' attempt taking banned drugs​

Ex-world champion James Magnussen says he will take banned drugs in an attempt to swim faster than a world record.
_132600521_gettyimages-943527872.jpg.webp

The Australian, 32, will come out of retirement to compete in the Enhanced Games, where doping is allowed.

Magnussen will try to swim faster than the 50-metre freestyle record, though it would not be official because there would be no drug-testing regime.

"I'll juice to the gills and I'll break it in six months," said Magnussen, who will be paid $1m (£792,000).

The men's 50m freestyle world record of 20.91 seconds was set by Brazilian Cesar Cielo in 2009, though he was wearing a performance-enhancing, non-textile swimsuit that was banned a few months later.

The Enhanced Games was founded by Australian businessman Aron D'Souza in 2023 and would not be subject to World Anti-Doping Agency rules.

Via BBC Sport

I love the idea of this!
I wonder if there's an open class?

Me: "I would like to set a new world record for the 100m while simultaneously taking ecstasy, a gram of whizz, and sprinkle of Special K to even it out."
Olympic Official: "For what sporting purpose, sir?"
Me: "Sporting what?"

Last edited:
What's all the racket about? Vid at link.

Carlos Alcaraz was stung on the side of the forehead when a swarm of bees descended on his Indian Wells quarter-final against Alexander Zverev.

Umpire Mohamed Lahyani was forced to suspend play in the third game as the bees invaded the court in California.

The match was delayed for one hour and 40 minutes before defending champion Alcaraz won 6-3 6-1.

"For sure the most unusual match I have ever played in my career," Wimbledon champion Alcaraz said afterwards.

"I saw some bees around, but I thought it was just a few of them. But I saw the sky and there were thousands flying, stuck in my hair, going to me.

"It was crazy. I tried to stay away from them, but it was impossible.

"I'm a little bit afraid of them. I had to stay safe, and I was running everywhere."

The bees were particularly attracted to the spidercam - a TV camera which moves above the court on cables.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/68568976

He finished first, and that's a problem

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/68815592
------------------------------
Organisers of the Beijing half marathon are investigating allegations that three African athletes deliberately allowed China's star runner He Jie to win Sunday's race.

Footage appeared, external to show Kenya's Robert Keter and Willy Mnangat and Ethiopia's Dejene Hailu pointing to the line and slowing down before waving past He, 25.

The result was criticised by some Chinese social media users.

Mnangat has told BBC Sport Africa that the trio ran as pacemakers.

The Kenyan said four runners had been contracted to help He break the Chinese half-marathon record of one hour two minutes 33 seconds, and that one of them did not finish the race.

He missed out on the record with a time of 1:03:44, one second ahead of the trio, who tied for second place.

The Kenyan said four runners had been contracted to help He break the Chinese half-marathon record of one hour two minutes 33 seconds, and that one of them did not finish the race.

He missed out on the record with a time of 1:03:44, one second ahead of the trio, who tied for second place.
While the guy was fast, the Kenyan runners were paid to 'throw' the race.
Meh.

James Magnussen to make swimming 'world record' attempt taking banned drugs​

Ex-world champion James Magnussen says he will take banned drugs in an attempt to swim faster than a world record.
_132600521_gettyimages-943527872.jpg.webp

The Australian, 32, will come out of retirement to compete in the Enhanced Games, where doping is allowed.

Magnussen will try to swim faster than the 50-metre freestyle record, though it would not be official because there would be no drug-testing regime.

"I'll juice to the gills and I'll break it in six months," said Magnussen, who will be paid $1m (£792,000).

The men's 50m freestyle world record of 20.91 seconds was set by Brazilian Cesar Cielo in 2009, though he was wearing a performance-enhancing, non-textile swimsuit that was banned a few months later.

The Enhanced Games was founded by Australian businessman Aron D'Souza in 2023 and would not be subject to World Anti-Doping Agency rules.

Via BBC Sport

I love the idea of this!
I wonder if there's an open class?

Me: "I would like to set a new world record for the 100m while simultaneously taking ecstasy, a gram of whizz, and sprinkle of Special K to even it out."
Olympic Official: "For what sporting purpose, sir?"
Me: "Sporting what?"
I take no interest in sport and had dismissed the Enhanced Games as an April Fool jape.
However... it's real innit.

What the actual? People will die. :dunno:

Back