• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Help!!

PiltdownMan

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm a long time reader, but first time poster so be gentle...
I have a faint memory of something that I think I read in Fortean Times long ago, but can't find it an any of my old issues. I was hoping someone here could help. The story was about the discovery of various objects and paraphernalia associated with witchcraft and the occult. I think these were found in an underground chamber or cave by workman whilst digging. I'm pretty sure it was in France and maybe sometime during the 1970s but I can't be at all sure about the date. I can't remember any more details other than there was the typical debate about authenticity. There are some parallels with the Arthur's Seat coffins, which I might be confusing it for. Any help would be welcome, thanks.

I have a faint memory of something that I think I read in Fortean Times long ago, but can't find it an any of my old issues. I was hoping someone here could help. The story was about the discovery of various objects and paraphernalia associated with witchcraft and the occult. I think these were found in an underground chamber or cave by workman whilst digging. I'm pretty sure it was in France and maybe sometime during the 1970s but I can't be at all sure about the date.
That rings bells with me too, but a quick web search turns up too much obviously irrelevent stuff. It might be worth digging through the Earth Mysteries forums on here, but there are over 900 topics there!

There was several articles in FT, re: the Hexham Heads, certainly this year or if not last year? Grr my FT's are stored all over the place. Will have a dig around.

Oh and they were fakes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I thought about the Hexham Heads too, but I'm sure this was in France and was a collection of things some fairly prosaic. I'm starting to think that I might have mixed up various stories; Hexham Heads, Arthur's Seat coffins, even some Rennes-le-Château stuff. I'll try to trawl through the Earth Mysteries forum mentioned above.

I believe I have met the Hexham Heads. Weren't they at the Uncon a few years ago?

Thanks for the replies. I thought about the Hexham Heads too, but I'm sure this was in France and was a collection of things some fairly prosaic. I'm starting to think that I might have mixed up various stories; Hexham Heads, Arthur's Seat coffins, even some Rennes-le-Château stuff. I'll try to trawl through the Earth Mysteries forum mentioned above.
Glozel, I believe. There was an article by Lionel Fanthorpe in the FT, which thanks to the Internet Wayback Machine can be viewed here.

Back