• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT279

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
279 has just arrived courtesy of a very wet postie.

Moving BVM statues
Secret Gospel of Mark
Simulacra and the foundations of faith

and loads of other stuff

Gordon

Got mine too, the tiny woman IHTM is excellent (I wonder if Elton John ever saw something like this?). Also read the 1985 BVM apparitions article, inconclusive as you might expect, but a really intriguing read for all that. Incredible seeing that many people in the photos, a few metres back and you'd be lucky to make anything out at all.

too much religion for me this issue.

liked david hambling's piece on WEIRD distortion of psychology tests.

(read in conjunction with people working out responsibility/causes of rioting)
--

re william darragh's review of "Free Radicals" - Paul Feyerabend was not a British biologist or Nobel Laureate. He was (amongst other things,) born in Austria and a philosopher. (or was that someone's idea of a bad joke?)

Mal_Content said:
too much religion for me this issue.

I agree, far to much religious content. I was almost embarrassed to be seen reading it!

Liked the BVM sighting article though, that was interesting. I understand that the others all tied into that, I would have preferred a round up of other moving, crying statues in other faiths though.

is it just me or the letters getting stranger by the issue? Loved "smart dinosaurs" almost as much as "bulging, staring eyes". Has someone been on the sauce?

While I'm looking at the letters page would someone PLEASE tell nerdoh.com that the whole point of adverts for those "cool" tee shirts is GUESSING which film they're from? Writing the titles under each picture takes away all of my fun!

The white faced bulging eyed thing at the window sounded like a refugee from IHTM, but I'm not sure why it couldn't have simply been some ugly bloke being nosy.

I hate having ugly blokes peering through my windows!

If you give me warning beforehand, I'll put on a show! :wow: :_omg:

Once i read the editorial saying Hilary Evans had died, the rest of the mag lost its interest, not that i ever met him, but i could imagine having a pint down the pub with him and having a very interesting chat. :(

After receiving my issue I rushed immediatly to the overlooking Jordan article. Imagine my disappointment to discover it was not about Katie Price at all, but about some dusty foreign place.

I will be cancelling my subscription forthwith.....

;)

I really enjoyed the BVM article, particularly as I was a kid at school at the time in that village where it all started. I remember it all really well, the traffic jams, the immediate appearance of souvenir key rings and the local priest telling everyone to keep quiet about it all. I'm still 100% sure that absolutely nothing paranormal occurred. One girl, who I knew, imagined she saw something and the whole thing spiralled out of control, with no little help from the media. I distinctly remember being in the church with a few friends, curious as to what all the hullabaloo was about when a photographer arrived and asked us all to kneel in front of the statue. Being only 13 at the time, we did what we were told but I was still surprised when an article appeared the now defunct Magill magazine with the photo. The caption read something like 'reverential youths worshipping moving statue". The article from 1985 is here, if anyone is interested in reading it. The photo is missing, unfortunately.

Anyway, it was interesting reading and brought back a lot of memories. You can never have too many articles about weird religious stuff really.

Edit: The late great Robert Anton Wilson was also in the village at the time and, in Cosmic Trigger II, talks about some of his theories as to how it was a psychological reaction to the whole Kerry babies murder ordeal, a trauma for the whole country at the time.

Thanks for that insight, Chocopop, I agree it was the best article in the latest issue.

Any Australian subscriber yet to receive theirs yet?

gordonrutter said:
279 has just arrived courtesy of a very wet postie.

Moving BVM statues
Secret Gospel of Mark
Simulacra and the foundations of faith
and loads of other stuff

Gordon

I couldn't see anything he suggested! Is that just me, or did anyone else have trouble finding anything like he suggested?

Not just you! Even standing on my head with one eye closed didn't work.

The one that was meant to be Lot's Wife, I could understand, but everything else just looked like rock!

Is there a photo of a sim of the Golden Calf?

(I have got the mag but I'm at work!)

Quick question: Did any UK subscribers receive US copies of FT279 bearing an October rather than September date?

It would be a great help to know one way or the other from some of you as one reader has experienced this mix-up and we need to know how widespread this has been.

Cheers!

DS

Still at work!

I'll look when I get home...in about an hour and a half.

I'm in the UK, got a September issue of 279 here.

My copy arrived in Australia and it says September, but a friend of mine buys it from a paper shop that has FT express delivered, and it is 279, October 2011 on it. Does that help?

Thanks folks. It seems that replacement copies (ie, those sent after an initial copy went astray) were US ones (althuogh we still don't know why!)

I reckon it was MI5, working alongside the masons and the aliens!! my copy was September as well, so the fiends have no power over wh smiths in Victoria station.

I enjoyed the religious stories. It's one of my areas of interest. Funny how some people might be more embarrassed to have a cover with a VM statue on than a UFO or pixie. :)

I finished my FT coming back from a trip to the country so left it on the train. As I got up to leave the train a young chap nearby immediately pounced in a way which suggested he'd been dying to read it whilst I'd been sat there. I hope he enjoyed it and FT has a new regular reader.

Perhaps he is already a regular reader, and just didn't have that copy yet!

Did he cry out, "Crikey! It goes past page 36!" ?

I have to admit this is the first issue of FT I've resisted buying in twenty years. One reason is that I have the issue that contained a long article on the moving statues of Ireland, back when it was still going on.

I hate missing the incredibly tiny woman and the lamprey/bat/bee IHTMs, but I suspect they'll show up in a future edition of IT HAPPENED TO ME!

I may have jinxed myself. Since I admitted I didn't get this issue, I haven't seen a FT anywhere in Tulsa. It doesn't help that both local Borders Books closed down (though one stopped carrying FT 5 or 6 years ago). The Fort giveth and the Fort taketh away.

Back