• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghost Planes

FilthyleDog

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Has anybody heard of any recent experiences of this phenomena? I don't mean like spectres of WWII bombers and the like, but real bona-fide flying objects that appear to be aircraft.

I've just sent this email to Manchester Airport:

I live in Edgeley, Stockport – very near the approach path for planes coming in to land from the east or taking off towards the same direction, so am quite used to aircraft noise from flights to and from Manchester Airport, not to mention the occasional visits of the police helicopter.

In recent weeks though, I have become aware of some rather unusual aircraft activity in the skies above.

This usually occurs in the early hours of the morning, between 1 – 3am, a time I have become more familiar with recently following the birth of my young son in February. Basically, some kind of aircraft “buzzes” the area. Initially I thought it may be generator noise from the work going on overnight at the nearby railway track but when the sound returned last night at about 2am, it being Easter weekend, I thought it unusual that work should be continuing. I got out of bed and went to the window and sure enough, just below cloud level, I could see the navigation lights of a smallish aircraft flying very slowly overhead. The aircraft then passed over my house, heading in a northerly direction before returning again a couple of minutes later, flying on an easterly heading before initiating a slow turn back to the north and coming round again. This circling continued for approximately twenty-five minutes with what seemed like little variation in height. Initially I thought “it” may have been several planes on their way to Manchester Airport, but the constant sound (I can tell it is a propeller driven aircraft) ruled that out.
Due to the lack of light, I was unable to identify the type of aircraft, even how many engines, etc. All I could make out were the red and green wingtip lights and a red strobe light, which I presumed was on the top of the fuselage. I couldn’t see any cabin lights nor any landing lights which most planes have switched on by the time they get over Stockport.

At about 2.30, the engine noise decreased and it sounded as though the plane was headed back in the direction of the airport. However, the sound returned just as I was managing to get to sleep a few minutes later.

My partner thinks I’ve lost the plot and have started hearing and seeing things! I am just curious to find out what this plane is doing flying at slow speed above residential areas so late at night.

Anybody any ideas why a prop-driven plane would be circling Stockport in the middle of the night?

yeh mate it seems ive also had a similar experience although not near an airport,this in my case is the odd thing as late night propellar planes fly around durham it seems well away from a recognised airport.
also ive move a few times and for some reason im always under some kind of fight path(planes alway fly directly overhead)
i used to bother me but in recent times ive just decided to ignore it,no point it getting bothered as it dont help imho.

Mystery Solved

Just got this reply from Manchester Airport.
After receiving your email I carried out an investigation using the Manchester Airport Noise & Track Information System to try to find the source of the problem using the information you gave me. I have found that during the early hours of Monday 17th April the Greater Manchester Police Fixed Wing Aircraft was overflying the Edgeley area. Having checked with Greater Manchester Police they have informed me they are are undertaking ongoing anti-crime operations in the Edgeley area and therefore this is the reason why you have been hearing the noise more frequently of late.

Damn!
I was hoping they'd say they didn't know what I was talking about... :p

My guess is, Tinfinger, that your area was subject to similar surveillance.

So whats the point of a police aircraft to keep circling? And why would police have an airplane and not a helicopter.

Human_84 said:
So whats the point of a police aircraft to keep circling? And why would police have an airplane and not a helicopter.

They have both.

FilthyleDog said:
Human_84 said:

They have both.

I dont see how an airplane could offer any assistance in solving crime. What, are they going to engage in high altitude dog-fights with those dirty crack dealers who joyride above the city all day in their leer jets? They going to keep a "birds eye" on villans running red lights? Pretty rediculous.

Human_84 said:
....those dirty crack dealers who joyride above the city all day in their leer jets?
No, not above the city - leer jets would fly over nudist beaches! :D

yes i can accept the state uses propellar driven planes for survelence
iirc they would need certain calsifacation to fly them over built up areas and obviously a propellared plane will fly slower
ive also seen an episode of shameless (c4) which has a thermal image of an estate to help show who is trying to grow canabis in there loft
which i though was pritty belevable
but
for me its not just propellar planes it seems im always under the flight path of higher passenger planes , it just the propellared planes are audible and so that bit more anoying

For once, I agree with Human 84. Surely a helicopter is far better for city surveillance than a prop plane? They can hover, make tight turns, fly safely low to the ground, and land almost anywhere. And with a top speed of around 140 mph, they can outrun pretty much any road vehicle they may need to chase.

So why on earth would the fuzz want a prop plane?

Well, Greater Manchester Police, the only ones i can talk about with any degree of accuracy have both a helicopter, and a single engine fixed-wing (Cessna / Piper style) aircraft.

Why? From reading the local paper, it appears the upkeep and maintenance costs on a 'plane is far less than that of the helicopter, and for motorway pursuits, where to be fair there isn't a whole lot of twisting and turning, does the job at a fraction of the cost. So there you have it.

_TMS_ said:
Well, Greater Manchester Police, the only ones i can talk about with any degree of accuracy have both a helicopter, and a single engine fixed-wing (Cessna / Piper style) aircraft.

It's a Britten-Norman Defender. Two engines. The guy from the airport told me GMP fly the BN2T4R version.

Okay, yes, I'm a pedant! :oops:

There might be two phenomena here. The late night buzzing sound reminds me of the many reports (over the years) of low drones/buzzes that people have heard to distraction. I used to hear what sounded like a generator running all night (Putney, London, UK). But investigations could reveal nothing in the area that might produce this sound...anyhoo, just stirring... ;)

FilthyleDog said:
_TMS_ said:

It's a Britten-Norman Defender. Two engines. The guy from the airport told me GMP fly the BN2T4R version.

Okay, yes, I'm a pedant! :oops:

Thank god for pedants, and thanks for the clarification. but anyway, back to these phantom 'planes :lol:

Time for this thread to make a return after nearly 12 years

Independent witnesses report silent ghost plane which 'turned the sky dark'
The sightings are believed to have taken place at exactly the same time
By
Christopher Harper
Nick Reid
  • 12:06, 27 MAR 2018
  • UPDATED09:26, 28 MAR 2018

Separate reports of a mysterious ghost plane have emerged in Derbyshire where witnesses have seen a dark, silent shape' sweep across the sky.

Onlookers have stated they have seen a dark shape in the sky at around 6.45pm on Monday night at different locations across the county.

Mark O'Brien believes he saw a quiet, low-flying plane fly above him after picking his daughter up from her swimming lesson in Ripley.

He said: “It was so low, it must have been only been around two or three houses high. I thought it was going to crash at one point but it was large and very quiet.

etc

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/ghost-plane-derbyshire-1388253

Back