• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Giant Baby

Mr_Seaweedski

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Well, the lump certainly looked huge next to the other baby in one of the photos, but 5.5Kg isn't actually much over 12lbs. I say it isn't much as I was 11lb 12oz when I was born at the end of the very hot summer of 76 - but the look on peoples faces when I tell them suggests it is alot! I especially enjoy pointing it out to heavily pregnant friends just to see the look of fear in their eyes - cruel bugger me :twisted:

My wife gave birth to our fourth child 3 weeks ago, he was 9lb 8oz and he seemed big when I picked him up, so 12lb must look huge.

There's a relative on my wife's side of the family a couple of generations back that gave birth to a child close to 13lb.

I feel like I have come in on the end of a conversation ;)

Anyway the story they refer to is this one:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 732#658732

Brazilian Woman Has Fourteen Pound Baby

Yesterday, we brought you the story about a 14-year-old Nepali boy is only 20 inches and wouldn't you know it - today, we a Brazilian woman who just had a 14-pound baby made news.

What's even more incredible is the baby girl measured 23.23 inches - over 3 inches taller than the 14-year-old boy in yesterday's story. The baby was born on Sunday and is actually not the largest baby born in Brazil by weight, a baby born in last year weighed 16 pounds, 11 ounces.

And according to Guinness World Records, the heaviest baby, born to a healthy mother in Italy, was a boy weighing 22 pounds, 8 ounces.

The baby is the first daughter for Elisa Maia dos Ribeiro, a 36-year-old housewife, who has already given birth to three boys. All weighing over 9 pounds at birth.

Doctors say it is likely because she is diabetic, as it is more common for women with diabetes to give birth to large babies.

www.thenewsvault.com/cgi/news.pl?t=569

Oh my good god, an almost two-stone baby :shock:

By all accounts one of my bro's was 14 lbs (a stone in weight) and also a breech birth too. No wonder my mother was off her feet for months after his birth... yet the rest of us were fairly small weights - I was the smallest at only 6 lb something.

A niece has also had the two babies near the 12-10 lb mark - both were normal births too :wince:

TheQuixote said:
Oh my good god, an almost two-stone baby :shock:

By all accounts one of my bro's was 14 lbs (a stone in weight) and also a breech birth too. No wonder my mother was off her feet for months after his birth... yet the rest of us were fairly small weights - I was the smallest at only 6 lb something.

A niece has also had the two babies near the 12-10 lb mark - both were normal births too :wince:

Your oh my god stole my thunder then caused another even more strangled OMG with your own story, all I can say now is WOW.

when my uncle was born he weighed 12lb my nanna had no problems giving birth to him she said she was laughing about something and he just popped out :shock:

Woman gives birth to 'giant baby'

A woman in Brazil has given birth to a "giant baby" weighing 17lb (8kg) - twice the size of an average newborn.
Ademilton dos Santos is the heaviest boy ever born in Brazil, says the Brazilian Gynaecological Association.

Ademilton was born by Caesarean section on Wednesday at a hospital in Salvador in north-eastern Brazil.

He is Francisca Ramos dos Santos' fifth child and doctors said his unusual size was probably due to his mother's diabetes condition.

Paediatrician Luiz Sena Azul said Ademilton "could truly be considered a giant baby, for he was born weighing what a six-month-old-baby normally weighs".

'Surprise'

Mrs Santos, 38, has four other children - aged nine, 12, 14, and 15 - who were all of normal weight when they were born.

"She knew Ademilton would be a big baby, but not this big," Ms Leal said. "She, her husband and the hospital staff were caught by surprise."

Ademilton is being given glucose solution intravenously, to maintain a safe level of blood sugar, because of his mother's diabetes.

He is also receiving oxygen because of breathing problems. But his general state of health is good, according to the hospital director.

"Both mother and baby are doing just fine," said Rita Leal, director of the Albert Sabin Maternity Hospital.

For Alfredo de Jesus dos Santos, his wife's diabetes was also a problem during previous pregnancies.

"Yes, I got very worried," he said. "I got very worried because diabetes is a disease that never gets better."

The Guinness Book of World Records says the heaviest baby ever was born to Anna Bates of Canada in 1879.

It weighed 23.12lb (10.8kg) and died 11 hours after birth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4191765.stm

17 pounds at birth!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thank God that poor mother had a C-section--can you imagine if she had tried giving birth to a baby that size a couple of centuries ago???

I think she just gave birth to a Sasquatch baby--her hubby should be demanding a paternity test! :lol:

Back