• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Glasgow Hilton Ghost

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
"The hotel had another claim to fame - as the only Hilton in the world which was haunted by a dead gangster. The ghost was confidently believed to be a top Glasgow gangland figure known as Mad Archie who had disappeared in the early 70s, rumoured to have been killed off by a rival thug. Legend was that Mad Archie had been given a 'concrete jacket' then dumped into the foundations of the Kingston Bridge, still being built.

Taking down one of Britain's busiest bridges to discover the truth wasn't a practical option - and Mad Archie's ghost began appearing on the thirteenth floor of the Hilton soon after the hotel opened. When the alleged ghost anbled around, his shape seemed covered in what staff and guests claimed looked like wet cement.

But Mad Archie knew his manners and was a friendly ghost. His main activity was wolf-whistling after female staff late at night. And far from the alleged haunting [...] being a liability, the Hilton management found that they were never short of bookings for their lucky thirteenth 'ghost floor'."

I found the above in a crime novel by Bill Knox. As it has nothing to do with the plot, I assume he was using a locally known tale to add colour to his story. But I can't find any reference to it on the internet.... Any Glaswegians out there who have heard of this?

By a spooky synchronicity, I started writing this as 'Raising the Dead' started on BBC1, and this is a story about a body buried in concrete in a church crypt, perhaps in the 70s. Strangely, this does not seem to be the advertised programme, but is a repeat...

*scratches head*

Hrmmm I've never heard that story before nor have I heard of "Mad Archie". Of course It could just be that I've never came into possesion of that knowledge but I tend to think it's a work of fiction.

I'll have a look at references none the less Rynner and se what I can find out.

Many_Angled_One said:
*scratches head*

Hrmmm I've never heard that story before nor have I heard of "Mad Archie". Of course It could just be that I've never came into possesion of that knowledge but I tend to think it's a work of fiction.

I'll have a look at references none the less Rynner and se what I can find out.

I know people who work in hotels in and around this fair city and have never heard this one.

But then you never know...

Posted by Chatsubo (on an Urban Legends thread):
A mate of a mate, who is a keen bungee jumper, sets up a bungee jump of the Hilton Hotel. He carefully makes notes of the number of floors in the hotel, to adjust his rope accordingly. As he is hurtling through the air, he suddenly realises the Hilton, like many other hotels, doesn't have a 13th floor, and his calculations are at least ten meters out.
So, does the Glasgow Hilton even have a 13th floor?! :confused:

Back