• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Glowing Green Fireball Over Putin’s Secret Research Labs

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
A glowing green fireball buzzing over Russia’s hi-tech “scientific city” in Siberia has sparked claims Vladimir Putin could be developing space weapons.

The bright flash and streaking tail was seen by stunned motorists close to the research town of Akademgorodok near Novosibirsk, Russia.

Research institutes in the area are dubbed Vladimir Putin’s “secret weapon” in the global hi-tech arms race. Just six miles away is Koltsovo, home of a secretive institute Vector – the repository of the planet's most deadly diseases and viruses, including smallpox, Ebola and Marburg.

Images were caught on dash cams in the early morning darkness. Some observers claimed it was an “alien attack” or a meteor exploding in the sky.

State-run Russian media admitted astronomers were “somewhat bewildered” by the sight. Ilya Orlov, deputy director the Big Novosibirsk Planetarium, called it a “beautiful phenomenon” but could not be certain what caused it. He said: “Most likely, this is a flash of bolide, that is, the fall of a bright meteor with a flash.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7854332/mystery-glowing-green-fireball-top-secret-research-lab-russia/

maximus otter

Some (many?) of the Swedish ghost rockets were said to resemble this, a green bolide-like streak, weren't they.

I also recall seeing an online copy of a 40s (50s, 60s?) US magazine article discussing a spate of green meteors (alleged meteors). Frustratingly I cannot now recall where I saw this or even where the sightings were. Can anyone recall the article I am referring to? I am sure that many here will have seen it.

I also recall seeing an online copy of a 40s (50s, 60s?) US magazine article discussing a spate of green meteors (alleged meteors). Frustratingly I cannot now recall where I saw this or even where the sightings were. Can anyone recall the article I am referring to? I am sure that many here will have seen it.

To reply to myself: Ah, I think the magazine article I recall was from Life magazine in 1952 and it was about the green fireballs reported in the late 40s and 50s seen in New Mexico. There's a Wikipedia article here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_fireballs. The Wikipedia article links to this page, http://www.roswellproof.com/life_1952.html, which has a transcript of the magazine article and a link to a scan of the original magazine on Google.

Last edited:
Green is a common colour for meteors and bolides. This usually has more to do with the ionisation of the atmosphere than the composition of the bolide- you'll see that a lot of meteor watchers suggest that the colour has something to do with copper content in the meteor, but it is more likely to be ionised oxygen in the upper atmosphere - the same colour you get in an aurora.

A greenish color isn't unusual for fireballs. Some of the most impressive meteor fireballs I've seen have been noticeably green for at least part of their appearance.

One possible reason for a green(ish) appearance is water vapor in the atmosphere adding a blue tinge to a fireball's yellow light emission.

If the meteoroid contains nickel, it will glow green as it superheats or vaporizes.

Another factor that might affect perceived color is the intervening automotive glass. These photos were taken by dash cams inside the vehicle.

http://www.project1947.com/gfb/cap21649.html

An official report of the time, on green fireballs, worth review just for item 3. Which declares the minutes are inaccurate due to the number of people speaking at once and the sound of a jackhammer outside. I could relate to this so well! So strange that they should reappear at this time, close to Putin's labs. Probably just a natural phenomenon, move along now, nothing to see here.

The green fireballs in the U.S. southwest investigated by LaPaz reportedly travelled horizontally for great distances - this is what distinguished them from ordinary meteors.

I suspect they're just copper based flares designed to look exciting in order to waste people's time or cause a distraction amongst security personnel.

Back