• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Good And Bad Terrors

Stpauli9

Junior Acolyte
Night-terrors. We all know them. I'm looking at Henry Fuseli's The Nightmare as I write this now (BTW, scarier paintings include Goya's Saturn Devouring his Children and William-Adolphe Bouguereau's Dante and Virgil). Anyway, I usually associate them with winter weather and my own sleep patterns-it can take me a long time to get to sleep and even then my head keeps chattering away.
The incident is a point of one night's sleep where I had reached REM sleep and was so in dreaming mode. As I dreamt, my dream went from relatively normal into something confusing and bizarre. These are quite common. I used to be able to draw them the next day and this helped me understand, but recently they are beyond even that. At the critical point, I felt the distinct sensation of an arm wrapped over my shoulder (as if someone had rolled over in bed and put an arm around me). But I sleep in a single bed and there is no space for a person on the side that it belonged. Of course, I awoke and turned on the light to an empty room. This is an uncomfortable night-terror.
The next night, I had another night terror, only this occasion it occurred during a most certainly bad dream wherein I seemed to fall from platform to platform. I felt the sensation of a hand on my shoulder. I often had this feeling during periods of depression in my past, and associated it with the spirit of a cousin who suicided, including one period where I felt the same feeling on what turned out to be his anniversary. This still felt like a night terror-it did not 'feel' like a nice hand-but it was interesting that the sensation brought me out of the bad dream. Whether or not it was the cousin, I don't know. Like I say, it did not feel 'nice'.

*shiver* (and thank you for posting)

Sympathy for the sad loss of your cousin, and for your cousin's pain.

I'm wondering if drawing everyday, dream or not, would help process the feelings that lead to your nightmares.

By coincidence I had one a terror the next night. It was more a noise, and I half thought it had been a clap of thunder. I felt a jolt like feet standing on my bed. It felt as if I had spilt coffee.

Sympathy for the sad loss of your cousin, and for your cousin's pain.

I'm wondering if drawing everyday, dream or not, would help process the feelings that lead to your nightmares.
I write a lot and stay creative. I will try and get around to some good things to draw.

Back