• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Unsolved Mysteries (TV Series)

47Forteans

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Does anyone remember this series shown in Australia during the late 1970's/early1980's? It was of a Fortean nature, looking into Bigfoot, reincarnation, Loch Ness, etc. I would be interested to know if any other Australians remember this show.

Cheers!

I remember Unsolved Mysteries the American program hosted by Robert Stack, that was pretty good. There was also The Extraordinary hosted by Warwick Moss. Are either of these the programme you were talking about?

I think the show I am talking about had an Australian host (the show was on when I was about eight, and that's 22 years ago!), and it may have a large ammount of American content. I just remember the show being cool and being a little freaked out by the host's moustache!

The Robert Stack Unsolved Mysteries is getting a reboot in America on Spike TV:

http://www.unsolved.com/

First broadcast in January of 1987, Unsolved Mysteries is one of the longest running programs in television and the inspiration for dozens of imitators. It is also the first television series with an audience interactive call-to-action requesting viewer tips to help solve actual cases.

Each episode consists of five segments profiling real-life mysteries and an update of a case which has been solved, often thanks to viewer tips. The segments are drawn from a variety of different categories: Murder, Missing Persons, Wanted Fugitives, UFOs, Ghosts, The Unexplained (Paranormal), Missing Heirs, Amnesia, Fraud, among others.

Viewers are urged to visit the series website, unsolved.com, if they have information that might help to solve a case. UM staff will forward the information to the appropriate authorities.

All of the segments have been updated with current information and will continue to be updated with new information resulting from the broadcasts on Spike TV. The host-narrator is Dennis Farina, star of Law and Order, Get Shorty, What Happens in Vegas, and many other film and television credits.

Over the years, Unsolved Mysteries has profiled more than one thousand cases in 260 episodes. 47% of the cases featuring wanted fugitives have been solved thanks to information from Unsolved Mysteries viewers. Also, over one hundred families have been reunited as a result of “Lost Love” segments featured on the show. In addition, several cases involving missing heirs, murder, fraud and amnesia have also been solved and, in several cases, individuals wrongly convicted of crimes have been released following UM broadcasts.

Unsolved Mysteries is produced by Cosgrove/Meurer Productions. The series was created by its Executive Producers, John Cosgrove and Terry Dunn Meurer, and ran for ten seasons on NBC and two seasons on CBS. Unsolved Mysteries has received six Emmy nominations, and received many commendations from law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and US Marshals Service. The host of the first pilot/special was Raymond Burr. Karl Malden hosted the next two specials and then Robert Stack hosted the remaining programs on NBC and CBS.

Through the years, Unsolved Mysteries has profiled more than one thousand cases in 260 episodes. Over half the cases featuring wanted fugitives have been solved, most as a result of viewer tips. Also, more than one hundred families have been reunited as a result of “Lost Love” segments on the show, and several cases involving missing heirs, murder, fraud and amnesia have also been solved. In seven cases, individuals wrongly convicted of crimes have been released following UM broadcasts.

Unsolved Mysteries is produced by Cosgrove/Meurer Productions. The series was created by its Executive Producers, John Cosgrove and Terry Dunn Meurer, and ran for ten seasons on NBC and two seasons on CBS. Unsolved Mysteries has received six Emmy nominations, and received many commendations from law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and US Marshals Service. The host of the first pilot/special was Raymond Burr. Karl Malden hosted the next two specials and then Robert Stack hosted the remaining programs on NBC and CBS.

Oooh The Extraordinary scared the bejeezus out of me when I was little. I remember making my parents watch it with me coz I was too scared to sit there by myself. Warwick Moss had the best voice for it too. Which is odd, you don't often hear good Aussie voices I don't think.

Back