• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Tube

A

Anonymous

Is the tube in London haunted?

How could we tell - perhaps many of the passengers on the tube are actually the ghosts of disgruntled passengers travelling nowhere? I often wondered about this.

Any ideas/experiences with dissapearing passengers?

Until recently I refused to board a mainline train because I feared that I would meet friends who were killed in the King's Cross fire (yes, I know how silly that sounds!). Anyway, I conquered my fear and took the train to Manchester (it was either that or hang around Digbeth coach station for two hours) and... nothing happened.

I've often wondered if all the people you see on the street or wherever are real though...

Jane.

That's a fascinating theory Mejane, we could be moving amongest spirits or whatever and never know.

The London Tube is a very strange place. I'm not sure if it's supernatural or the design of it-the feeling of being underground, the air pressure caused by arriving and departing trains etc.

I, amongst many thousands of others always stand to the back of the tube stations walls because I have an that urge to fall in front of the train......why does the tube do that to people? I didn't feel the same urge on the metro in Paris.

Lillith said:
I, amongst many thousands of others always stand to the back of the tube stations walls because I have an that urge to fall in front of the train......why does the tube do that to people? I didn't feel the same urge on the metro in Paris.

I get the same thing on the trains here (but not overseas, curiously). No idea why... :confused:

Lillith said:

I don't have that - but I do have the urge to fling myself off high buildings if I'm ever up one. Horrible. I wonder what on earth that is all about?

I think the tube is really freaky and I don't like it at all (too much American Werewolf in London, probably). The theory of subterranean creatures living in the bowels of the underground system reminds me of a charming little tale by Clive Barker on that very subject. :wince:

Re: London underground website...

lostcat said:
London underground website with a ghosts section:-

http://solo2.abac.com/themole/ghosts.html

quote from that link:-

It's in the Fortean Times, so it must be false
I have never believed anything I have read in the Fortean Times , or watched on the stupid TV version that we get in the UK, with some vicar who seems totally off his trolley. However, the following is a nice story anyway and who knows, maybe some drunks on the tube have seen such creatures.
It is from the Fortean Times reporter Michael Goss, but even he doubts whether the legend is true.

Oy! Who said that!

Real Underdwellers

New York has a whole sub strata (I don't mean that in a derogatory sense) of society which lives underground, incidentally - The Mole People.

Brief Analysis of their beliefs:
http://chelm.freeyellow.com/nov16_2.html

Daft Film about them:
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/showreview.php3?ID=903

Real Documentary about them:
http://www.wweek.com/html2/screena121300.html

Not too much a stretch of the imagination to think that there may be others in other cities.

How many monsters, ghosts and flesh eaters - who can tell?

Re: Re: London underground website...

Eburacum45 said:
quote from that link:-

Oy! Who said that!

probably the "chewing gum blobs are alians" bloke that was featured on the letters page recently ;)

I have an that urge to fall in front of the train

Maybe it's those posters on the wall over the track that say things like:

"Be a Man, Do Yourself In"

(Sorry, I met Neil Gaiman last night. That's my excuse.)

lordshiva said:
Any ideas/experiences with dissapearing passengers?

Perhaps not quite what you're asking, but a few years ago I was coming back home on an overnight train from Newcastle, fell asleep in one compartment (that should tell you how long ago it was!), and woke up in another. God knows how, the people I was with couldn't remember seeing me leave or anything. I simply fell asleep in one place, woke up in another and then went to find my friends back in the original compartment.

The London Underground has a wonderful atmosphere. I often think of how many great creepy stories could be told down there. Quite sad but if I'm in a lonely passageway I often imagine scary alien beasts chasing me! Haha! I don't run or anything but it creeps you out. Best at Russel Square waiting for the lifts! Quick get in the lift before the alien attacks!
It is also strange thinking that there could be ghost people walking around down there. I always keep an eye out for ghostly figures in the tunnels. If you think of how many people have died in accidents/suicides down there then if you beleive that ghosts are the spirits of people who have died suddenly there must be hundreds down there.

I don't have that - but I do have the urge to fling myself off high buildings if I'm ever up one. Horrible. I wonder what on earth that is all about?
My friend's dad, who's afraid of heights, fears he's going to jump off high places -not fall. Come to think of it, I have the similar urge, and I think it could be that the idea of jumping down voluntarily is easier to bear than the idea of just falling.
Anyway, I'm also afraid that I'll toss myself in front of train/tube if I don't concentrate enough (as to resist this).
And to get back to the topic, I remember when staying in St Petersburg four years ago, my local friend warned me of "vampires" that lurk in the tube (or metro, as it is called there). "Psychic" vampires make you jump into tracks and "energetic"(??) vampires suck your energy and make you fall down, I was told.
Maybe my friend had been smoking smothing, dunno, but he left me wondering whether there are similar stories somewhere.
Oh, and before someone asks, I don't know why these "vampires" are called vampires. Maybe it's just faster to say than "those weirdos that always hang around metro station".
Errr...lost my point, lost myself, sorry...

West Brompton tube station has an alleged ghost. Early in the mornings and late at night, staff and passengers have someitmes seen a man in dark, old-looking workmans clothes walk to the end of the platform ... and disappear.
I believe Aldwych has a ghost of a WWI soldier - not too sure on details.

Could it be something to do with the 'multiple drafts' theory of conciousess? One of the draft situation/outcomes being considered in the unconscious would be the option of throwing yourself under/off. Perhaps this is such a drastic option that in some way its content becomes available to the conscious mind before it has been discounted?

It's probably more conscious than that.
If we see something that is obviously dangerous, right in front of us, doing nothing, we automatically consider "what would happen if.."
With someting like a large drop or a fall on to live rails, the scenario is easily and quickly imagined. In think this speed of thought might seem like 'an urge; to some.

I don't think there are many people who don't imagine these situations, the difference is how we interpret it.

I was wallpapering once, and I had an urge to empty the paste bucket over my head - so I did. My brother came into the bathroom to see me giggling whilst washing big glutinous lumps out my hair.
If I had been stripping paint instead of wallpapering, then it would have been an 'almost overwhelming urge'. The brain has considered it, but doesn't actually do it.

Dare yourself to stand on the yellow lines next time.

Xynisteri said:

I've had that feeling, but really only in one place.
One of the museums in Chicago used to have airplanes hanging from the ceiling in the lobby. They were huge models, IIRC, with wingspans of like 6 ft. If you went up to the second floor, you could look down into the lobby or across at the planes which were right on eye level. There was one that seemed to be within arm's length of the railing. It must have been an illusion, but it really looked like you could stand at the railing and extend your arm and touch the wing. The desire to do so was almost overwhelming, which is strange because I'm afraid of heights. I've talked to two other people who remember the display and confirmed that powerful drive to touch the wing of the plane. (My hands are cold & clammy at just the memory as I type this.) Not sure if the display is still there, I don't believe it is. Weird experience though.

Back