• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Homemade Lightning - Book Recommensation

harlequin2005

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a gem I found:-

Homemade Lightning - Creative Experiments in Electricity by R.A Ford (Pb McGraw-Hill, ISBN 0-07-137323-3)

Got it from Maplin Electronics.

It has some real hardcore fort from late 19th and early 20th century Scientific magazines, as well as a ggod grounding in electrostatics and how to build electrostatic generators (Van deg Graaf generators etc) and Leyden Storage... Its very readable, as a bonus :D

I thought a few of you Andrew Crosse fans would be interested...

8¬)

Just put some Tin-Foil on the Screen of your telly and switch it on. The Tin-Foil will cling to the screen. Now take it off and remember to avoid the bolt of Lightening that shoots out at your hand as soon as you put your fingers anywhere near it.

St.Clair said:
Just put some Tin-Foil on the Screen of your telly and switch it on. The Tin-Foil will cling to the screen. Now take it off and remember to avoid the bolt of Lightening that shoots out at your hand as soon as you put your fingers anywhere near it.

could you explain that a bit more, sounds intresting however id rather not get myself killed or something trying it

OK!

Tin foil may have changed since the eighties but here goes....

Switch off the telly.

Flatten some tin-foil against the screen.

Switch the TV on.

Watch the tin-foil cling hard against the screen due to the static.

Now touch the foil........:eek:

Alternatively.....do it the other way round.

Switch on the telly.

Flatten the foil on the screen.

Turn off the telly.

Now touch the foil.

I think it is just strong static......you will not die.

Well.....probably not!

If you do die..........you aint seen me, roight!

Back