• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

I Have A Novel Idea

Lucydru, which UL has been done?
I dont think it matters now if it has been done or not but the thread has triggered all sorts of thought processes in the people that have read it and encouraged them to try and think of an interesting situation for themselves

Just look for lycanthrope as the thread starter in this forum and you will find it. One thing learnt is that maybe it's best not to spread UL's around.

luce

Am I the only one here who thinks inventing ULs is pointless? It also clouds the issues involved in serious research into Fortean topics.

Ordinary human stupidity will ensure a steady flow of ordinary ULs anyway, so why waste time inventing them?

You're not the only one, Rynner. A big part of the reason I started in on this message board was to get first-hand accounts of Fortean events and investigations. The enegery spent propogating a 'good' lie would be better spent in search of a Fortean's approximation of the truth. I recommend a new thread category for Fortean Investigations/Experiments. We need more of that, and less UL's.

Should of pointed out that it wasn't the canablism thread.

luce

Should have, luce, not should 'of'. Urban Legends be buggered, we need to start a school af grammar and spelling around here.

We put them in a laboratory and disect them...? Heh, heh, heh!!!

You could always start the rumor that paper money was found with anthrax on it. Talk about impacting the Christmas shopping rush...:eek!!!!:

txlibrarian said:
You could always start the rumor that paper money was found with anthrax on it. Talk about impacting the Christmas shopping rush...:eek!!!!:
Some years ago, a guy I worked with had a bright idea, after several years of handing over his wage packet every wednesday night, he decided to play a trick on his wife, after handing over the cash he waited for her to fall asleep and then rubbed stinging nettles over her fingers, after a few weeks of this she was convinced she had an allergy to paper money and decided to let him take care of the finances...Well thats what he told me.:rolleyes:

we did decide not to bother with any more fake ul's for a while and while the anthrax one would have people thinking -there have been deaths because of the recent anthrax terrorism so i feel that out of respect for the dead there should no ul's invloving anthrax created here, besides the police are cracking down on anthrax hoaxers anyway and regardless of what people tell you, you are traceable on the internet and can be caught

cas

casio said:
...and regardless of what people tell you, you are traceable on the internet and can be caught

cas
..As hundreds of paedophiles world-wide discovered yesterday.

Another danger of the internet - it's claimed the guy who drove off the road and down onto the railway, causing the awful train crash near Selby, had had no sleep because he'd been on the phone for FIVE hours to a woman he'd met on the internet....

Switch off now, kiddies, it's dangerous...

GAWD! Isn't reality wierd enough and truth too volatile, anyway, to want to bugger about with it some more?

What I like is when the tabloids rip stuff straight off the news agencies and print it to see how stupid their readers really are© I seem to remember the Sun printing copy about a woman in India giving birth to a live snake a few years back©

rynner said:
Am I the only one here who thinks inventing ULs is pointless? It also clouds the issues involved in serious research into Fortean topics.

Ordinary human stupidity will ensure a steady flow of ordinary ULs anyway, so why waste time inventing them?

I totally agree. I've been interested in ULs for several years, hanging out at http://www.snopes.com , reading Brunvand's books, etc. To me the idea of intentionally making up a "UL" is pointless and clouds the area for people trying to do serious research.

sureshot

Sorry, sorry, sorry...

I take the anthrax/money comment back. I was just pointing out how easily these things can take off. It only take a trigger-word (anthrax, for example) to get people to completely turn off their bullsh*t detectors!

Of course, now that I've used the "A" word twice more, the FBI and Interpol will be knocking on my door...oh, dear...

:rolleyes:

The urge to intentionally make up a "UL" doesn't warrant serious research?

-J

casio said:
i feel it should be something that all parents worry about and tell their children to avoid so they tell their friends etc
drugs or drink
i said in a chat that maybe a child (4yrold) injecting drugs would get the media's attention but thinking about it maybe not maybe thats tooo far
but i do think a drugs warning or somthing like that would be a good idea
casio

fancy the string ending there...:eek!!!!:

Back