• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Infectious coughs

A

Anonymous

Although yawning seems to be infectious, I've noticed it with coughing too. You know how it is - you're sat with a large group of other people, and there's always at least three people or more with chronic bronchitis. Or are they?
I was on a long haul flight a few weeks ago and noticed that whever I coughed loudly, someone was bound to follow up with one of their own within a second or two. If I listened for a while, these coughs came in clusters - usually of about three or four different people, one after the other within a short space of time. It was almost like wolves howling at each other over distance. Try it next time you're waiting for a movie to start or sat on a plane and tell me I'm wrong.

Yeah, long haul flights are boring alright...:p

Dark Detective said:
Yeah, long haul flights are boring alright...:p

So much so that you actually look forward to the meals because it's something different to do.

OK Capt B, I'll have a Stella!

Carole

. . . and I'll have all the drinks that the lads in Economy Class
failed to finish, due to thrombosis.

Oh and an upgrade please. :rolleyes:

Um, long-haul flights are often dehydrating, as well. Could it not just be the dry throats causing the coughing? :)

Works with yawning too.Is that why they call it cattle class?:hmph:

I noticed this when I had bronchitis in November last year...nobody else had a cough in the office till I started one and nobody else had bronchitis or similar either except me!

It works a treat in team meetings you know...especially if you can start with the 'phlegm' effect.......

okay...I'll get my coat...again....

It is probably a guilt thing - no one wants to be the first to cough , people who are relaxed and happy with themselves will cough when they feel like it and all the others,who have been supressing the urge , feel it is OK to let go now you have taken the lead .
Marion

Interesting post Marion - especially if you replace the word 'cough' with 'fart'.... :eek!!!!:

Perhaps hearing someone cough makes you think about your throat, which makes it tickle. Works for me every time. :(

Workhouse coughs, my Grandmother called them.

Caused by lot's of people of the... em.... "underclass" being in close confinement, she said!!!!!

Sounds a bit like the airlines blackbird.... sorry... economy class!!!!

Pack 'em close, ship 'em fast....keep the mortality down & the profits up!!!!!!

Back