• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is Thought Physical?

Justin_Anstey

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Physics it the study of matter and energy, implying that energy is just as physical as matter.

If thought is electrical impulses within the brain then would it be unreasonable to say that the mind is physical?

Or is that just silly?

-Justin.

If, as some nuerologist/physicists are suggesting, thought is a quantum effect, then it is certainly physical, though with all the added spookiness of quantum physics.
I don't see what is silly about that, though it does put the concept of an eternal soul/spirit/mind under scrutinity.

Imagine you could prove the existence of the soul - say as an n-dimensional entity, wouldn't that also be physical?

As so much of our human structure and bodily processes are chemical in nature, I'd say we're more chemical than physical, when you get right down to it.

Especially considering that the brain works almost entirely through chemical reactions.

Hah... I see life as potential in all matter. under certain situations, life begins. It's like potential and kinetic energy in a sense. It has a flow - an impetus to survive. I rationalise concious thought like this: Where there is life there is awareness. The level of awareness grows with the intelligence of the creature. We are more intelligent than an amoeba (I guess), but the amoeba still knows one thing, and that's that it is alive.

Of course, this is all supposition :D

Back