• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

It was the booze that made me slaver

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Ringleader of sex slave operation gets 23-year term

By Mariano Castillo
Express-News Rio Grande Valley Bureau

Web Posted : 01/30/2004 12:01 PM

McALLEN — The ringleader of a sex slavery and human trafficking operation whose participants raped women and forced them to work against their will was sentenced to 23 years in federal prison today.

Juan Carlos Soto, 26, of Nueva Italia, Michoacán, Mexico, had pleaded guilty to charges of involuntary servitude and human trafficking offenses in August of last year.

Soto was also ordered to pay ,532 in restitution to the victims.

Before Federal District Judge Randy Crane handed down his sentence, Soto blamed the influence of drugs and alcohol and repented.

“I apologize to the people I have harmed,” Soto said.

“This is worse than bad,” Crane responded. “It’s almost like raping children. They couldn’t call for help because they were here illegally.”

Authorities charged that Soto smuggled 121 people through the McAllen/Edinburg corridor. In addition, Soto admitted to holding by force four women, ages 19, 19, 22 and 40 that he and others in his ring raped and beat them repeatedly.

The women were held in an Edinburg trailer used as a safehouse for smuggled persons.

In all, seven men involved in the operation pleaded guilty.

On Thursday, five men, including two of Soto’s brothers, received sentences between four months and 10 years. A sixth man, Jose Villa-Zavala did not appear for sentencing and is wanted by authorities.

The four victims have been relocated away from the Rio Grande Valley and are receiving counseling, medical and dental attention provided under the Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000. Under the law, the victims can receive permits to remain in the country for three years, and can apply for resident status.

If Soto had gone to trial, he could have faced life in prison.

Authorities were tipped off about the human trafficking ring when two of the women were released by their captors after being stripped and thrown in a canal.

http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=180&xlc=1121489

This sounds almost like what happened to Darrryl Hannah.

LINK
Hannah Launches Sex-Slave Crusade After Escaping Sick Trade

Kill Bill star Daryl Hannah narrowly avoided being sold as a sex slave in Las Vegas in the late 1970s and is now coming forward with her seedy secret to help others forced into prostitution. The actress, who has joined forces with international human rights groups to help free sex slaves, reveals she was studying theatre in Los Angeles when she leaped at the chance to model for an album cover in Sin City. The 46-year-old told crime show America's Most Wanted that she quickly realised the modeling trip was a scam and she was about to be forced into a sex-slave ring. Hannah told show host John Walsh she and another girl escaped out a window and fled back to Los Angeles, but she has always been haunted by the memory of how close she came to becoming forced into prostitution. And now the environmentalist and humanitarian is using her movie dollars to help those who weren't so lucky after learning there are more than 14,000 girls smuggled into America annually from Eastern Europe and Asia who become part of secret sex rings. She says, "The more I learn, the more I am moved to take action."

Back