• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jack Chick And Neanderthal Man

chockfullahate

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
"Neanderthal Man - At the Int'l Congress of Zoology (1958) Dr. A. J. E. Cave Said his examination showed that the famous Neanderthal skeleton found in France over 50 years ago is that of an old man who suffered from arthritis."

anyone know if this is true? and the actual source? i found this at jackchick.com....

Its been a while since i studied this, but i beleive its true. there is also a burial of a nenderthal youth, Placed in a foetal position and covered in flowers, and a skeleton with severe damage to the hip bone, which had occured many years before death, indicating the individual was looked after by the group.
Sorry i can't give any references, as its from memory, but i'll try dig something out

I Assume this is the point you're getting at, that Neanderthals were capable of abstract thought, had a sense of 'Community' and were not merely 'Brutes'

I think the point is that Neanderthal man did not exist as a seperate species. The morphology of the famous individual found could be ascribed to arthritis, not speciation.

Naturally, this is bullsh!t. We've found lots of Neanderthals, and have proven their existence as a distinct group from homo sapiens.

Isn't Jack Chick the guy that does the religious cartoon pamphlets?

No, I think Jack Chick thinks that neanderthal's didn't exist- that the, uh, one? example of them was an arthritic old man, so, therefore, something about the bible, gay agenda, ramble ramble...

I love Jack Chick. Scary and hillarious.

Minor Drag said:
I think the point is that Neanderthal man did not exist as a seperate species. The morphology of the famous individual found could be ascribed to arthritis, not speciation.

Naturally, this is bullsh!t. We've found lots of Neanderthals, and have proven their existence as a distinct group from homo sapiens.

Isn't Jack Chick the guy that does the religious cartoon pamphlets?

Ahh, i see! sorry, got the wrong end of the stick there! (But i'm pretty sure there is an 'arthiritic' neanderthal skeleton)

From memory (and we all know how reliable that is, especially for me), the original finds of homo sapiens neaderthallensis (OK, OK, now I'm just showing off) were a small, somewhat inbred community which were not truly representative of the Neaderthals' morphology. Further finds have shown that some of their features were less pronounced than in the original group.

Of course, the fact that there are multiple finds all over Europe tends to discredit the theory that they are just a couple of misidentified modern humans. (Does Chick know that Neanderthals had different dentition to us? Or radically different bone structure? Possibly, but that would detract from his argument.)

Jack Chick writes the sort of paranoid, self-righteous crap that would be funny, if it weren't quite so heartfelt. There's a site that deconstructs a lot of his work, and has done one or two reworkings. If I can find it again, I'll post it here.

From my physical anthropology class, the Neanderthal that was used to identify the species early on was suffering from arthritis, so that the idea of cavemen who were thought to be thuggish, constantly stooped-over brutes weren't that distinguishible from modern humans. Genetics seems to have shown that they are indeed a seperate kind of primate, but I don't know if that's been conclusive or not.

Jack Chick is a pretty skilled cartoonist, even if his theories are absolutely insane. I read a scathing review of his life in an American magazine called The Imp that talked about his strange existance, and how all he does is work, check his mail box, and go home. And, Chick also apparently loves horror movies & biker culture, which gives him plenty of ideas...

Also, the guy who did the admittedly great art on the Crusaders comic (the only other Chick artist in his stable) was actually making, all by himself, an animated feature in true Chick style about apokolipse and the Chick crusades that was going to be projected on the sides of buildings and other strange kind of guerella selling tactics. Apparently, though, the guy suufered a stoke a few years back that has made the job alot harder, so I don't know if it will every be finished.

nothin wrong with an interest in biker gangs and horror movies, unless you are a fundie i guess, but then they are all obsessed with the darker side of life...

Back