• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kaktovik Numerals: Inuit Math On The Rise

MrRING

Android Futureman
An alternative math emerges:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/...lchildren-will-make-its-silicon-valley-debut/

Inuit Schoolchildren Will Make Its Silicon Valley Debut​

Math is called the “universal language,” but a unique dialect is being reborn

In the remote Arctic almost 30 years ago, a group of Inuit middle school students and their teacher invented the Western Hemisphere’s first new number system in more than a century. The “Kaktovik numerals,” named after the Alaskan village where they were created, looked utterly different from decimal system numerals and functioned differently, too. But they were uniquely suited for quick, visual arithmetic using the traditional Inuit oral counting system, and they swiftly spread throughout the region. Now, with support from Silicon Valley, they will soon be available on smartphones and computers—creating a bridge for the Kaktovik numerals to cross into the digital realm.

Today’s numerical world is dominated by the Hindu-Arabic decimal system. This system, adopted by almost every society, is what many people think of as “numbers”—values expressed in a written form using the digits 0 through 9. But meaningful alternatives exist, and they are as varied as the cultures they belong to.

The Alaskan Inuit language, known as Iñupiaq, uses an oral counting system built around the human body. Quantities are first described in groups of five, 10, and 15 and then in sets of 20. The system “is really the count of your hands and the count of your toes,” says Nuluqutaaq Maggie Pollock, who taught with the Kaktovik numerals in Utqiagvik, a city 300 miles northwest of where the numerals were invented. For example, she says, tallimat—the Iñupiaq word for 5—comes from the word for arm: taliq. “In your one arm, you have tallimat fingers,” Pollock explains. Iñuiññaq, the word for 20, represents a whole person. In traditional practices, the body also serves as a mathematical multitool. “When my mother made me a parka, she used her thumb and her middle finger to measure how many times she would be able to cut the material,” Pollock says. “Before yardsticks or rulers, [Iñupiat people] used their hands and fingers to calculate or measure.”

During the 19th and 20th centuries, American schools suppressed the Iñupiaq language—first violently and then quietly. “We had a tutor from the village who would help us blend into the white man’s world,” Pollock says of her own education. “But when my father went to school, if he spoke the language, they would slap his hands. It was torture for them.” By the 1990s the Iñupiaq counting system was dangerously close to being forgotten.

The Kaktovik numerals started as a class project to adapt the counting system to a written form. The numerals, based on tally marks, “look like” the Iñupiaq words they represent. For example, the Iñupiaq word for 18, “akimiaq piŋasut,” meaning “15-3,” is depicted with three horizontal strokes, representing three groups of 5 (15) above three vertical strokes representing 3.

“In the Iñupiaq language, there wasn’t a word for 0,” says William Clark Bartley, the teacher who helped develop the numerals. “The girl who gave us the symbol for 0, she just crossed her arms above her head like there was nothing.” The class added her suggestion—an X-like mark—to their set of unique numerals for 1 through 19 and invented what mathematicians would call a base 20 positional value system. (Technically, it is a two-dimensional positional value system with a primary base of 20 and a sub-base of 5.)

Because of the tally-inspired design, arithmetic using the Kaktovik numerals is strikingly visual. Addition, subtraction and even long division become almost geometric. The Hindu-Arabic digits are an awkward system, Bartley says, but “the students found, with their numerals, they could solve problems a better way, a faster way.”
The rest of the article is also interesting, with visual representations of the new maths.

Interesting, the ancient Maya also had a numeric system using base 20, and a symbol for 0.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more similar it is. One dot =1, lining up to 4 dots for 4. For 5, a horizontal line. So 9 would be represented with 4 dots and a line below it, adding up to 3 lines. 19 would be 4 dots with 3 horizontal lines below (or beside) them. When you get to 20, you move across a column. Similar systems were in use across Mesoamerica since early times, already in use by 1000 BC, although the use of the symbol for 0 was added later by the Maya.

Last edited:
This is very interesting, and makes sense on a lot of levels. Unfortunately, I think there's a fairly low chance of adoption - other things that make a lot of sense like a base-12 system (makes doing multiplication and division a lot easier because 12 has much more factors than 10) never got off the ground despite having dedicated campaigners for
Interesting, the ancient Maya also had a numeric system using base 20, and a symbol for 0.
Celtic languages have a base-20 numbering system that survives in the 'yan tan tethera methera pip' sheep counting systems of the rural UK (after reaching twenty, place a stone on the ground and start again - for each 20 place another stone). We also have the dated English word 'score' and the french counting system that demonstrate that people used to conceptualise quantities vigesimally at least some of the time.

We still have or had some vestiges of older numerical bases - 12 hours on the clock, 12 ounces to the pound, 12 inches to the foot, 20 shillings to the (£) pound, 20 hundredweight to the ton, 60 minutes to the hour, 60 seconds to the minute, 360 (6 x 60) degrees to a circle.

We still have or had some vestiges of older numerical bases - 12 hours on the clock, 12 ounces to the pound, 12 inches to the foot, 20 shillings to the (£) pound, 20 hundredweight to the ton, 60 minutes to the hour, 60 seconds to the minute, 360 (6 x 60) degrees to a circle.
Also 20 fluid ounces to a pint and 40 to a (UK) Quart.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more similar it is. One dot =1, lining up to 4 dots for 4. For 5, a horizontal line. So 9 would be represented with 4 dots and a line below it, adding up to 3 lines. 19 would be 4 dots with 3 horizontal lines below (or beside) them. When you get to 20, you move across a column. Similar systems were in use across Mesoamerica since early times, already in use by 1000 BC, although the use of the symbol for 0 was added later by the Maya.

Many cultures still use a Vigesimal system:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigesimal

In fact the remnants of the old vigesimal counting system are still present in modern French, with eighty called quatre vingt (four twenties) and 61 to 99 being pure vigesimal.

There was the old monetary system in the UK that was based around 12 and 20. 12 pennies to the shilling and 20 shillings to a pound.

Many cultures still use a Vigesimal system:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigesimal

In fact the remnants of the old vigesimal counting system are still present in modern French, with eighty called quatre vingt (four twenties) and 61 to 99 being pure vigesimal.
In French, (as you know) from 70-76 they say 60 10, 60 11, 60 12 and so on, but at 77-79 it becomes 60 10 7 and not 60 17. The same happens from 97 to 99.
What is the reason for this?

In Japan they have a method of multiplication which involves drawing intersecting lines, instead of using numbers.

In French, (as you know) from 70-76 they say 60 10, 60 11, 60 12 and so on, but at 77-79 it becomes 60 10 7 and not 60 17. The same happens from 97 to 99.
What is the reason for this?

As mentioned above, I believe it is a vestige of the ancient base 20 counting system, which the Gauls and other Frankish ancestors of today's French originally used.
Belgian French (or at least the Brussels dialect) has modified the archaic French counting nomenclature to a more conventional "septante, octante and nonante" for 70, 80 and 90.

I should add that French French is an immensely conservative language that resists any change to its structure and vocabulary, thanks to bodies like the Académie française, whose job is to maintain the language's purity.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, I believe it is a vestige of the ancient base 20 counting system, which the Gauls and other Frankish ancestors of today's French originally used.
Belgian French (or at least the Brussels dialect) has modified the archaic French counting nomenclature to a more conventional "septante, octante and nonante" for 70, 80 and 90.

I should add that French French is an immensely conservative language that resists any change to its structure and vocabulary, thanks to bodies like the Académie française, whose job is to maintain the language's purity.
I just wondered why it changed format at 77 (and 97) ie to 60 10 7 (and not 60 17) for 77.

I just realised that I didn't make my question clear;

My point was/is that from 11-16, numbers have their own words, but for 17-19 we say 10 7, 10 8, 10 9.

That is to say, why don't we say 10 5 for fifteen (for eg)?

I just realised that I didn't make my question clear;

My point was/is that from 11-16, numbers have their own words, but for 17-19 we say 10 7, 10 8, 10 9.

That is to say, why don't we say 10 5 for fifteen (for eg)?

I guess it's because French numerals derived from a curious mash up of the Celtic vigesimal and Latin decimal systems. But I'm no expert!

There are a some examples in English as well. The Bible says "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away."
There were four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie and we used to say five and twenty to (or past) the hour when telling the time.

And the Gettysburg address begins "Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal."

I think the ancient Sumerians and Babylonians used base 60 which is where 60 minutes and 360 degrees in a circle is supposed to originate.

Back