• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lake Hasa Mystery Fish

A

Anonymous

I was reading this over the weekend.

It's 1986 and a biologist is investigating Lake Hasa in China when he sees these great big fish with 3 foot wide red heads. He doesn't catch any, but documents it and there have also been other sightings. There has been no further expedition.

There's an intersting problem to this as the article documented. No conventional fish could have a swim bladder to support itself if it were this big. It would need to be a fish like a shark or a ray, without a boney skeleton, but these are marine fish not fresh water, which I presume being a lake it is.

Any comments?

Some species of marine fish are known to be able to live in fresh water, the bull shark for example is known to live year round in Lake Nicaragua, though there is some debate about whether they are able to return to the sea from this allegedly land-locked lake. The sturgeon is also able to live in both salt and fresh water, so theoretically a large marine fish may have made it's way to lake Hasa (though I have no idea of the geographical location of the lake, such as whether it is land locked etc). Also apparently fresh water cat fish can acheive a huge size, so it may be possible for a freshwater fish to acheive the sizes mentioned.
cheers

Xiphactinus was an ancient bony fish that grew to a minimum of 14 feet, usually around 20. So huge bony fish did exist at one point, and I don't see a real reason they can't exist now.

The modern oarfish can get 50 feet long, although it's very thin. It's responsible for many sea serpent sightings. There was a video of one that had washed up on a beach and it was incredibly weird looking.

Ocean sunfish can weigh a ton and a half and be eleven feet across, and some sturgeons can weigh a ton.

Just in case anyone's interested - I messed up the name of the lake. It's Lake Hansa.
The date may be out by up to 5 years also.

I have never heard of Lake Hasa or Hansa, but try a search on Lake Iliamna, which is in Alaska, there have been 20-30ft long whitish creatures seen in the water from small planes flying over which some people believe are a giant species of sturgeon.

Goldstein said:
I have never heard of Lake Hasa or Hansa, but try a search on Lake Iliamna, which is in Alaska, there have been 20-30ft long whitish creatures seen in the water from small planes flying over which some people believe are a giant species of sturgeon.

I heard about that one to Goldstein, i must admit it sounds kinda wierd that if they are sighted so easy as what ive heard its kinda odd that there isnt a picture or video of these big fish.

http://www.cryptozoology.com/cryptids/iliamna.php

Back