• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Last Words

A

Anonymous

Greetings!

I’ve been browsing this forum for a while and would like to share something with you all. Please bear with me, it’s a bit on the long side:

Two years ago I lost my Grandfather (on my Dad’s side) to whom my Dad and I were very close. Looking at a picture of the three of us is like looking at the same man at three stages of his life, a young man, then middle-aged man and finally an elderly man. He and I loved to play practical jokes on one another.

My dad lost his hearing at 7 years old through Tuberculosis-Meningitis (He was one of the first to benefit from new developments in Penicillin) and my Granddad was the one who convinced him that just because his ears didn’t work it didn’t mean his brain didn’t. As such they were very close.

On the day of his death (which we had all been expecting for some time, but didn’t know when) a few strange things happened that have absolutely no explanation.

I was in my local River Island buying clothes for an upcoming holiday, I had been tempted to call it off but my Grandmother said that I had to go. My Granddad wouldn’t have approved of me doing such a thing.

The shop was on two floors; top floor for the men’s department and ground was for the ladies. I bought a few t-shirts upstairs with my store card I then went downstairs to where my fiancé wanted a pair of shoes. I went to the counter and handed over my card.

The cashier swiped the card, took a long hard look at me and picked up the phone. Bemused I thought perhaps this was an on the spot random security check. The phone was handed to me, basically the lady on the end of the phone said my card had been reported stolen! I protested and explained I had literally used the card a few minutes earlier. The account even showed my recent purchase, the operator satisfied that I was whom I claimed to be apologised and said a new card would be sent to me.

We left after paying by credit card, because my store card had been cut in two, I was convinced it was an administration or clerical error.

On the way home I decided to call my Nan and make sure she was around as I wanted to double check she was ok and not on her own. Oddly my mobile phone was blocked, I borrowed my fiancé’s mobile. I called my mobile network and explained the problem, the operator replied “I’m sorry sir, your phone appears to have been reported stolen!”

Mystified I explained that I had the phone and after giving the sim number and handset number etc. the phone was reactivated.

Later the same day I came back home (I lived with my parents at this point) and was greeted by my dad and we poured some large whiskeys. He was clearly upset and had come back from a business trip early, he felt guilty about not being around when it happened.

We spoke at length about time the three of us shared, I told him about the phone and shop incidents and remarked that that was Granddad’s last practical joke and he had got the last word.

I was shocked by what followed: Dad asked me “Do you know what time Granddad passed away?”

“Yes” I replied “about 04:05 this morning”

“Yeah, I woke up at that time and felt a strong urge to look at my phone”

He looked shaken, then leaned forward and passed me his Nokia communicator (a mobile that can send email, fax and text messages, perfect for someone like my dad) and told me to look at the Fax inbox.

I couldn’t believe it, at exactly 04:05 that morning a blank fax, with no caller ID or number had arrived on his phone.

Was this the final message to my dad?

Was this his way of letting us know he was okay?

Was this just a string of incredible co-incidences?

Please let me know of any thoughts and similar experiences. I hope this didn’t put you to sleep!

Many Thanks for taking the time to read my experience.

Tainted

Welcome, Tainted, and thank you for that very funny and touching story. Your Granddad sounds like a true character! :)

Tainted..welcome abord..and with a very interesting story too..

i have one last word story really but not even remotely supernatural tho a bit funny..... i had this mate, he'd been tho WW2 etc and done a philosophy degree after that and the worked for the post office. Any-road up..i was off to Art collage and he asked me why i wanted to go...and this was during the Thatcher regime remember...i replied to shelter from unemployment and the general ugliness of life in the class that Margret's crew were "at war with"... he looked at me utterly disgusted...he was old ok and as old people do as their brain cells fall of become quite right wing. he loved Thatcher. He had a bad heart condition for which he took Sainsburys Whiskey and some stuff the doctors gave him... just before i went the doctors found he had cancer too and put him in of all places the St Micheal ward at the hospital. He thought it was funny tho and i went to see him before i left and gave him a painting, which i remember he said reminded him of Pissaro's work, i detected a tear in his eye too...he said he'd been thinking about what id said and he said....Your fooking right lad, teek em fookers for all you ken fooking get, their basstards... he died that night. in a ward made up of leeking portacabins and called St Micheals..funny old world ah.

That many coincidences do not merit the term 'coincidence'. That's what I think.

I've been playing brass instruments for some 30-odd years (and some have been pretty odd, but non-fortean....)

My first tutor (and, eventually, fellow bandsman, good friend and drinking buddy) was a guy called Willie Telfer.

After school one evening, when he was still trying to force the basics into my skull, he was pasting brass quartet parts into cardboard sleeves (as protection for the music), and writing the name of the piece on the new cover. It was the William Tell overture.

Someone spoke, and distracted him. One of the parts was then 'signed' as the William Telfer overture...:)

He died last year, the day after his 80th birthday, and I was one of many brass band players at the funeral.

During the service, a mobile 'phone rang.

The unfortunate mourner had the 'phone in his trouser pocket, under his boiler suit (having come straight from work on an early extended lunch..), and took several seconds to hit the 'off' button.

The ringtone....

Tadada tadada tada da da da....(Heigh ho Silver, awaaaaaay!)

(How the old sod managed to get a message from the other side to the only 'live' mobile in the chapel.... and it played his tune....:confused: )

Half the congregation were annoyed/upset. The rest of us (including his son, daughter and daughter-in-law) struggled to keep a straight face.

Of course, it might have been a coincidence... :nooo:

(PS 'Old sod' may appear disrespectful, but if I'm polite to him now, the bugger'll decide to haunt me....:D )

Perhaps when you leave this life you get a mandatory one contact chance.

A bit like being in jail and getting your one phone call!

I posted this on Boxing Day last year (I'm very crap and unable to post links as it's very technical for me!)

"Yesterday at my bro's house "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" was on the telly (it was my Dad's exit music at his funeral) and the lights in my brother's front room went out. It was as though someone had switched them off. No flickering or anything.

Only the main ones, not any others. The tree lights and kitchen lights remained on. Why so spooky? Well, the wiring in my brother's house is so naff that if the main lights go off they trip the fuse and the whole of the ground floor is plunged into darkness.

And when did the lights happen to flick back on? Yep, just as the song finished..."

If there are such things as ghosts I think it must take an incredible amount of energy to manifest, so doing something like this and the above stories may appear far more complex and odd but probably a lot easier to engineer.

When I was in 9'th grade my cousin died. Me and her both had a collection of troll dolls and when she died my aunt gave me hers. Not too long ago I noticed that two of the ones she had given me had moved. One had turned sideways and another had moved forward. I moved them back and later I noticed that the one had moved forward again. At this point I was kind of scared and I left it alone. However, it kept moving closer and closer to the end of the shelf until I was so scared that I took all the dolls and moved them into the other room. Recently I talked to some people at school about this and they said that it was probably my cousin telling me that she was ok and to move on. These are the same people who told me about this site, so if any of you talk in the forums, "Hello."

This one is not so weird, but it freaked me out anyway. Some years after my cousin died my aunt died. I was then at the end of my junior year, so the following year I was graduating. My aunt would always put confetti type things in the cards she sent so when you opened them it would all spill out. Around the time I graduated I got a card and when I opened it all that confetti stuff spilled out. It really startled me for a minute, because it was like my aunt had come back. But then I realized the card was from one of my teachers.

My mother and one of her several sisters were very close and used to sing together. One of their favourite songs was 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'. When my aunt became ill with cancer they'd still sing and giggle like kids.

Auntie took a turn for the worst and her family were summoned. She was in the Christie Hospital in Manchester, and the various family members travelled there from different parts of the country and abroad. Every one of them noticed a huge rainbow which seemed to centre over the hospital.

My aunt died and the rainbow faded away, but on the day of her funeral there was another. The family took this as a sign that she was still there somewhere, not far away. :)

As we drove from the Crem to my Dad's wake there was a rainbow which seemed to form the moment we left the Crem and fade as we got into the hall where it was being held.

It was a very beautiful and extremely clear even though it had only rained for a few minutes and was not really rainbow type weather.

One of the most moving things I have ever experienced was when I was 15. One of my best friends (who was 19) committed suicide. As the Pastor, who was leading the service said "Into God's hands I command Darren's spirit" the sun came out and shone through the window of the church right onto his coffin. It was like something out of Ghost and those who noticed smiled and the was an audible gasp.

On a sadder note, when people use the word "broken" to describe someone that is exactly how his parents were. Especially his Dad. :(

Aw Tyger, how sad for that young man's family. :(

Back