• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Light to the head gives you superpowers(???)

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Anyone ever notice the similarities between URI GELLER and EDGAR CAYCE, in regards to how they got their powers? Both were struck by a light.

Makes me wonder who else got their powers in this manner.

Anybody got any names?

WW

Well, the Fantastic Four got them from cosmic radiation. I don't know if they count.

WonderWoman said:
Hello,

Anyone ever notice the similarities between URI GELLER and EDGAR CAYCE, in regards to how they got their powers? Both were struck by a light.

Most of us would sue the electrician, they decide to seek compensation from the whole world.

I believe a similar thing happened to Fluorescent Man (and his spunky assistant, Bulb Boy)

Microscopic brain tumour pressing on the optic nerves at back of the eye?

See I saw Phenomenom (doo-doo du doo-doo) and John Travolting wouldn't lie!

Hello,

Well then, I am left to assume that it is a rarity and such an odd thing that one finds a joke far more suitable than contemplating the possibility at all.
It would be cool though.

WW

You asked for names of people who had been hit by a beam of light, not contemplation of what that might mean. I would take the lack of response as an indication that no one knows anyone else who claims this.

Phillip K Dick. Depending on whether you take 'Valis' at face value or not. Also, the Ray, in the 1940s DC Universe. See, sometimes, establishing a fictional precedent or parallel can illuminate a situation. Or not.

Hello,

That is right! I forgot about VALIS. I think I need to read it again. In Cape Verde there are inumerable amounts of people who speak of a light from heaven that has gifted people with spiritual powers!

WW

I thought the fact that there was a Hollywood film made involving a plot about a man who develops strange powers after experiencing being struck by a light in the sky only to later find out that said event was generated internally by a tumour pressing on his optic nerves rather than externally by god was worth a mention.

If you would prefer the humourless and intellectual answer then here goes.

It could be that both Edgar Cayce and Uri Gellar have some form of undetectable brain deformity, naybe an odd chemical/hormonal reaction within their subconcious minds?
Perhaps even an electrolite imbalance could cause the effect of dismbodied bright lights striking your person.
Alas I do not know anything about brain surgery or biology and cannot expand on this theory so as it stand it's nothing more than conjecture.

I do not know of anyone else who has experienced this phenomenon either.

"hallelujah! I have seen the light!"

You could say that I found it an illuminating experience....

As you can see, this has been recognized for a long time. Whether there's anything to it is yet to be determined.

WonderWoman said:
H

Anybody got any names?

WW

St. Paul.

Although, I'm not sure that writing a bunch o' letters to 1st-century Christians is a superpower. Still, the influence of his writings on Christian thought is rather over-the-top.

(Am I the only [deleted] clergy here?)

Light to the head gives you superpowers; light to the ass gives you piles.

There's always Buddha who discovered enlightenment (?????). What this actually means literally is open to interpretation. Don't forget the numerous people who have had OOBE's who have been touched by light and then come back to try and make a difference in the world.

Forgive my ignorance, Wonder Woman, but you don't actually believe Uri Geller has "psychic" powers, do you?

Hello Captain Black,

Not really. My point was just that, all those claiming to have powers...or having powers, have the whole light-to-the-head story as their source.

There is only one psychic I believe in and she was a freaky old lady on my street, growing up, who sought no fame, collected garbage and would walk up to you out of nowhere, put her thumb to the indentation between your eyes and say something to the effect of, "Just because they tell you to follow them there, doesn't mean you have to go in." To which your friends beg you to follow them into an old abandoned apartment building and for some reason you feel this overwhelming sense to ditch them, to which you discover much later that half the building fell on them.

Just one of those things...

WW

Might the bright light count as Illumination?

Just a wandering thought.

Hello Everyone,

I am just curious: Can anyone here call up the light? I mean, the white light that is supposed to protect you from evil? I have been doing it since I was child, mostly in dark rooms and haunted places. Only problem is, it works when I close my eyes. I can feel it and then of course a bright light penetrates my eyelids and it seems to work, however, I cannot do it with my eyes open. I've tried. Anyone know what I am referring to here. All jokes aside please.

Thanks,

WW

Back